Teachers take 10,000 baht from P6 kids after damage to door - first the director heard of it

webfact

image.jpeg

Sanook Thai Caption: Taking in 10,000 baht

Sanook reported that parents at a school were furious after teachers collected more than 10,000 baht over a damaged door.

They had the P6 students - last year of primary school - pointing at the damage. 

Yet it was the first the school director had heard about the incident.

Sanook were alerted to the story by a parent of a school in Phayao in the north of Thailand.

Two teachers took 450 baht from every one of 23 class members. 

It was just a flimsy MDF door and would not cost that much, said the parent. 

Many of the parents were poor and the collection of money in such circumstances was clearly "not transparent".

The oblivious director said yesterday that he was talking to teachers and parents over the issue. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 4

Typical Thai bullying.

I do not for one minute believe that all 23 kids damaged the door. But this is what Thai teachers do. They punish all the kids (not always bad) but the innocent kids are too scared to dob their classmates in. Let's face it, the kid/kids who smashed the door might be happy to hurt another kid.

It's such a shame that CCTV hasn't been invented yet, or is too expensive to install and use..... oh hang on a minute!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

But this is what Thai teachers do. They punish all the kids (not always bad) but the innocent kids are too scared to dob their classmates in.

British teachers at the grammar school that I attended did exactly the same !  There is no need for this thoughtless Thai-bashing.

Where did the poster you quoted say it only happens in Thailand? This is a forum about Thailand, and a report of Thai teachers having highly questionable authority to make Thai kids pay for a damaged door in a Thai school. It has nothing at all to do with anything that once happened in the UK.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

But this is what Thai teachers do. They punish all the kids (not always bad) but the innocent kids are too scared to dob their classmates in.

British teachers at the grammar school that I attended did exactly the same !  There is no need for this thoughtless Thai-bashing.

Give up, Thai-bashing's de rigueur here.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 3

The Director was jarred by the complaint against is teachers and is now in a jamb. Their future hinges on the outcome. But one door closes. Another door opens. They will just be moved to another class after a cut has been handed over.????

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

it was the first the school director had heard about the incident.

Rubbish, IMO I bet he was involved in other rackets such as school lunches and wages for "foreign" teachers!! Interestingly, I lived in Phayao Province and I know what my local school "requested". 

• Like 1