Viktor Orbán turns Texas conference into transatlantic far-right love-in

Scott

Just now, Hanaguma said:

I think people who don't like Trump are so over-invested in their hatred that it clouds their sense of reason and proportion. It has been that way for years, ever since he won the election in 2016.  There is nothing wrong with not liking a politician, I get that. There are some I don't like as well. But Trump seems to inspire people to such over-the-top levels of vitriol and frustration that I honestly worry for their health.  It has become a kind of cult or addiction that they just can't overcome.

You just claimed that if people who disagree with Trump would ignore him, he would go away. What does anything you've written here have to do with that claim?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Ironically, Hungary is given a rating of 69/100, or "partly free" by Freedom House. A middling score to be sure, but one that eclipses that of Ukraine, which got 61.  Now I wonder how many of the people here who are excoriating Orban can be found in "other" discussions heaping praise on Zelenski (sp) and cheerleading the war with Russia as a "fight for democracy"...

Because one of the main reasons Hungary is partly free is Orban's own conduct, in particular by restricting media and judiciary' s independence. No such conduct by Zelinski.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

What a motley crew of leftist loons has come to dominate forum topics dealing with political, social, and racial issues.

Is it any wonder the US is taking a hard right turn?

Your cockamamie ideas when put into practice produce social chaos - just look at the rot that has eaten the hearts out of venerable Eastern Seaboard cities.

How are the crime rates now that "Turn 'em loose" Bruce style DAs are in power?

This provokes a negative reaction from saner folk and pushes them further towards the right.

The boogie-man is out to getcha... fascists multiplying like pod-people.

You <deleted> brought it down on all of us.

How annoying! Trumpers cannot post the usual fake news without being debunked! ????

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Honestly, people wouldn't care if the GOP and their sycophants  committed to a free and fair election. If Trump won the popular vote people would just accept that.

The popular vote means as much as a bucket of warm hamster vomit. Many countries, especially parliamentary systems, have systems that do not work on popular vote.  My home country of Canada elected Justin Trudeau with just 33% of the popular vote, the Conservatives got 34%. But he is Prime Minister and I have to respect that.  Even with 2/3 of the country voting against him.

Think of a chess match. The goal is to checkmate the opponent's king. If you do so, and your opponent complains "but I took more of your pieces than you took of mine, so I should win", what would you think? It isn't as if the Clinton campaign was operating under different rules, or didn't understand the federal system.  They played, they lost, they cried. 

Any time you want to alter the Constitution to a popular vote system, feel free. Until then.... everyone knows the system and apparently is comfortable in it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

The popular vote means as much as a bucket of warm hamster vomit. Many countries, especially parliamentary systems, have systems that do not work on popular vote.  My home country of Canada elected Justin Trudeau with just 33% of the popular vote, the Conservatives got 34%. But he is Prime Minister and I have to respect that.  Even with 2/3 of the country voting against him.

Think of a chess match. The goal is to checkmate the opponent's king. If you do so, and your opponent complains "but I took more of your pieces than you took of mine, so I should win", what would you think? It isn't as if the Clinton campaign was operating under different rules, or didn't understand the federal system.  They played, they lost, they cried. 

Any time you want to alter the Constitution to a popular vote system, feel free. Until then.... everyone knows the system and apparently is comfortable in it. 

Best cheat wins? Who would not support electing the winner of the democratic vote? Fascists, that's who. The single reason that Republicans win elections despite losing the democratic vote is cheating.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You just claimed that if people who disagree with Trump would ignore him, he would go away. What does anything you've written here have to do with that claim?

It is all about the hysterical, infantile rage that the Donald generates. He feeds off it, as do people who support him.   If you could just calm down a little bit life would be easier, and your blood pressure would thank you for it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Trump is what keeps the media working. Without Trump heading the news people might actually take note on the important issues. And that would be just boring. face it Trump sells.

That has absolutely no bearing on the comments made by Hanaguma about Trump. Apparently Hanaguma and I agree that Trump and his supporters are trolls.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Why are you being misleading about the Canadian election? Liberals may have only gotten 33.1 % of the popular votes, but Trudeau became PM thanks to the votes of representative of other parties with whom they are quite closely ideologically aligned. In fact, if you total up the number of voters who supported those parties, the popular vote would be close to 60%.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Why are you being misleading about the Canadian election? Liberals may have only gotten 33.1 % of the popular votes, but Trudeau became PM thanks to the votes of representative of other parties with whom they are quite closely ideologically aligned. In fact, if you total up the number of voters who supported those parties, the popular vote would be close to 60%.

Fascists hate preferential voting because it guarantees the popular vote will be the winner.

Edited by ozimoron

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Fascist hate preferential voting because it guarantees the popular vote will be the winner.

Well, it's not preferential voting in Canada. But in certain areas, the NDP or the Bloc Quebecois are strong but, like the liberals are center left. Or further left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

That has absolutely no bearing on the comments made by Hanaguma about Trump. Apparently Hanaguma and I agree that Trump and his supporters are trolls.  

Trump is absolutely the most successful troll in history. I can still remember the first time it seemed he was interested in the Presidency. It was at the WHite House Correspondents Dinner. Obama was poking fun at The Donald, which he never takes well. You could just see the steam rising from his ears, and inside his head he was thinking, "you SOB, I'll have your job some day..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Trump is absolutely the most successful troll in history. I can still remember the first time it seemed he was interested in the Presidency. It was at the WHite House Correspondents Dinner. Obama was poking fun at The Donald, which he never takes well. You could just see the steam rising from his ears, and inside his head he was thinking, "you SOB, I'll have your job some day..."

Sadly for him there was considerable buyer remorse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Nope. Trudeau was asked to form a minority government without them.   In the previous election, 2019,  he won an outright majority in Parliament despite getting less than 40% of the popular vote. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well with Russia at 19/100 then yes its a fight for democracy

Well, a fight for part democracy anyway...  Would you say the same if Ukraine invaded Hungary? You would side with Orban since Hungary is by most standards a freer country than Ukraine?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Just quoting your post at random.

People! Jesus, if there was ever a time for reconciliation, it is now. Look at us: American, British, Dutch, Canadian all ripping each other to pieces. 'Woke' this and 'Facist' that, as we scrabble to put food on the table.

The m̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶f̶u̶ our leaders will be just fine, thanks, and raking in their profits at the expense of us all. Can't you see we are all being played?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Best cheat wins? Who would not support electing the winner of the democratic vote? Fascists, that's who. The single reason that Republicans win elections despite losing the democratic vote is cheating.

Something tells me you don't understand the basic principles of a federal republic.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, Hanaguma said:

Something tells me you don't understand the basic principles of a federal republic.  

beside the point isn't it? By definition a political system that does not elect it's leader through free and fair elections is fascist.

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Well, a fight for part democracy anyway...  Would you say the same if Ukraine invaded Hungary? You would side with Orban since Hungary is by most standards a freer country than Ukraine?

Ukraine hasn't invaded Hungary or is ever likely to is it? If you ever get an indication that it will then do post an OP on it so we can stay on topic

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Now you're reading Trump's thoughts? Maybe the Jan 6 committee should call you as a witness?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Nope. Trudeau was asked to form a minority government without them.   In the previous election, 2019,  he won an outright majority in Parliament despite getting less than 40% of the popular vote. 

But he depends on support from his ideological similars.  What significant political party in Canada is there to support the Conservatives?

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

beside the point isn't it? By definition a political system that does not elect it's leader through free and fair elections is fascist.

So, fascist countries would include the UK, Australia, Japan, Sweden....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Ukraine hasn't invaded Hungary or is ever likely to is it? If you ever get an indication that it will then do post an OP on it so we can stay on topic

Nice dodge.  But I see a leader of a less free country than Hungary getting daily tongue baths from the media and western politicians, as well as many people here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1