Viktor Orbán turns Texas conference into transatlantic far-right love-in

Scott

The authoritarian Hungarian leader was embraced as a kindred spirit by Trump fans at the CPAC event in Dallas.

Viktor Orbán 2022.jpg

“The globalists can all go to hell,” declared Viktor Orbán. “I have come to Texas!”

The crowd roared, whooped and gave a standing ovation as if at a campaign rally for former US president Donald Trump. It was evident they saw in Orbán a kindred spirit – a blunt weapon to wield against liberal foes.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/06/viktor-orban-cpac-far-right-us-trump

The Guardian - Logo Database - Graphis

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

It's clear you don't have a clue as to what "grooming" means:

"Grooming is when someone builds a relationship, trust and emotional connection with a child or young person so they can manipulate, exploit and abuse them. Children and young people who are groomed can be sexually abused, exploited or trafficked. Anybody can be a groomer, no matter their age, gender or race."

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/what-is-child-abuse/types-of-abuse/grooming/

The grooming thing is especially vicious and all the rage amongst the now mainstream homophobic right wing Republican demagogues led by DeSantis. They are basically insinuating that all LGBT people are pedos. Very Putin adjacent. Not because they believe it but because they can grift on it. 

To wit;

https://www.vox.com/culture/23025505/leftist-groomers-homophobia-satanic-panic-explained

A renewed moral panic, stoked by the far right and trickling into mainstream conservatism, has come on the heels of an abrupt shift in the fight for gay rights in America. Following the recent passage of Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” law and a wave of other homophobic and transphobic legislation throughout the country, current right-wing rhetoric has focused on accusations of “grooming.” The term — which describes the actions an adult takes to make a child vulnerable to sexual abuse — is taking on a conspiracy-theory tone as conservatives use it to imply that the LGBTQ community, their allies, and liberals more generally are pedophiles or pedophile-enablers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not sure why the GOP feels it needs to import fascists to speak at CPAC events.

So true.

There is a massive oversupply of domestic ones.

But it's not so different from the "America First" movement of the past where American  fascists like Ford and Lindbergh adored their dear Adolph.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

What a motley crew of leftist loons has come to dominate forum topics dealing with political, social, and racial issues.

Is it any wonder the US is taking a hard right turn?

Your cockamamie ideas when put into practice produce social chaos - just look at the rot that has eaten the hearts out of venerable Eastern Seaboard cities.

How are the crime rates now that "Turn 'em loose" Bruce style DAs are in power?

This provokes a negative reaction from saner folk and pushes them further towards the right.

The boogie-man is out to getcha... fascists multiplying like pod-people.

You <deleted> brought it down on all of us.

Nah, the simple answer is just that fascism is a product of the realization that they can't win an election in a fair and open vote.

• Like 2

What a motley crew of leftist loons has come to dominate forum topics dealing with political, social, and racial issues.

Your cockamamie ideas when put into practice produce social chaos - just look at the rot that has eaten the hearts out of venerable Eastern Seaboard cities.

This provokes a negative reaction from saner folk and pushes them further towards the right.

Thanks for the rant.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

"Montgomery added: “We’ve actually seen some signs of that illiberalism and authoritarianism on the Trumpist right in their efforts to ban the teaching of racism in schools, in their aggressive attacks against LGBTQ materials and information in schools and libraries, and even their encouragement of harassment and violence that we’ve seen against election officials and school board members."

I love the double speak in play here.

When he says "their efforts to ban the teaching of racism in schools", I believe he is referring to the disgraceful practise of labelling all white children racist oppressors and all black children victims and not responsible for their actions if they embark on a life of crime. Also known as CRT.

When he says "their aggressive attacks against LGBTQ materials and information in schools and libraries" I believe he is referring to the grooming in school issue which competent leaders like DeSantis have outed and brought to the forefront before squashing it like a bug. IMO any teachers grooming any kids in school is a very bad thing. This was dishonestly referred to as the "don't say gay bill" which of course never said or implied the word gay in any sense or form.

When he says "their encouragement of harassment and violence that we’ve seen against election officials and school board members" I believe he is referring to anxious parents trying to figure out what the heck i going on in their children's schools and being stonewalled by leftist school boards that think they know better.

Just so much wrong, and that's only one paragraph.

Great to see Orban, a leader that genuinely cares about his country and his people getting such a warm welcome in the more patriotic areas of the USA. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Orbán

Viktor Mihály Orbán[1] (Hungarian: [ˈviktor ˈorbaːn] (listen); born 31 May 1963) is a Hungarian politician who has served as prime minister of Hungary since 2010, previously holding the office from 1998 to 2002. He has presided over Fidesz, since 1993, with a brief break between 2000 and 2003. Orban's tenure has seen Hungary government shift towards what he has called "illiberal democracy" — citing countries such as China, Russia, India, Singapore, and Turkey as models of governance— while simultaneously promoting anti-Americanism, Euroscepticism, and opposition to Western democracy.

I made bold and underlined the last paragraph.

Yet he was welcomed in the USA and Texas.

He also seems to be a hero of yours. I have to admit that you deserve each other.

Now imagine Joe Biden, POTUS going to Hungary and doing the same thing. Would that be OK with you?

I did notice that it was NOT an official government to government visit though.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text
  • Like 2

Yes, that's the normal attitude. It was them, not us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

I am constantly amused and in awe of the Bad Orange man's genius in the area of real estate. Even after nearly 2 years out of office, he is STILL living rent-free in the heads of so many querilous beta males.   The man has talent!

It seems that nothing can happen in the USA involving politics that doesn't soon devolve into yet another tiny fisted tantrum against the former President.  It just plays into his hands, people. If you want Trump to go away, just ignore him. 

Then there is the reality. The CPAC straw poll put Trump at 69% favourability rating and he is more than likely to run again.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I am constantly amused and in awe of the Bad Orange man's genius in the area of real estate. Even after nearly 2 years out of office, he is STILL living rent-free in the heads of so many querilous beta males.   The man has talent!

It seems that nothing can happen in the USA involving politics that doesn't soon devolve into yet another tiny fisted tantrum against the former President.  It just plays into his hands, people. If you want Trump to go away, just ignore him. 

What a ridiculous comment. You think if the people who don't like Trump ignore him, he'll go away? Do you realize that means in your estimation he's nothing more than a troll? That he's only in this to annoy people? This his supporters mean nothing to him?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What a ridiculous comment. You think if the people who don't like Trump ignore him, he'll go away? Do you realize that means in your estimation he's nothing more than a troll? That he's only in this to annoy people? This his supporters mean nothing to him?

I would love to agree, but his supporters mean money and power to him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

I think people who don't like Trump are so over-invested in their hatred that it clouds their sense of reason and proportion. It has been that way for years, ever since he won the election in 2016.  There is nothing wrong with not liking a politician, I get that. There are some I don't like as well. But Trump seems to inspire people to such over-the-top levels of vitriol and frustration that I honestly worry for their health.  It has become a kind of cult or addiction that they just can't overcome.

Honestly, people wouldn't care if the GOP and their sycophants  committed to a free and fair election. If Trump won the popular vote people would just accept that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1