This Is the Data Facebook Gave Police to Prosecute a Teenager for Abortion

Scott

8+ Free Meta Logo & Meta Images

Motherboard has obtained court documents that show Facebook gave police a teenager’s private chats about her abortion. Cops then used those chats to seize her phone and computer.

A 17-year-old girl and her mother have been charged with a series of felonies and misdemeanors after an apparent medication abortion at home in Nebraska. The state’s case relies on evidence from the teenager’s private Facebook messages, obtained directly from Facebook by court order, which show the mother and daughter allegedly bought medication to induce abortion online, and then disposed of the body of the fetus.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7zevd/this-is-the-data-facebook-gave-police-to-prosecute-a-teenager-for-abortion

Vice Logo PNG Transparent & SVG Vector - Freebie Supply

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Don't you think that the prenancy being in its 28th week might have something to do with it? Not many places allow abortions at that advanced stage of pregnancy.

That is true. Abortion in their second trimester are prohibited in most countries. Feel sorry for the parent and the young mother not given a choice to make the decision. Second trimester can be done safely in hospital. 

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong word

18 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

That is true. Abortion in their second trimester are prohibited in most countries. Feel sorry for the parent and the young mother not given a choice to make the decision. Second trimester can be done safely in hospital. 

And in Nebraska, you can legally get an abortion up tp 20 weeks. Dont know what is going on here.

28 weeks is a viable baby in most cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

I think the point is not the age of the fetus, but the fact that Facebook was turning over data that many feel should not be done.   

The age of the fetus is actually crucial. It made what the mother/daughter were doing a crime. That may be the compelling reason for FB to release the data.

They aren't being prosecuted for having an abortion but for having one far past the range that the law allows in Nebraska.  The police were investigating some pretty serious felonies and Facebook was compelled by warrant to comply. FB didn't just volunteer the information. The two were charged with crimes, THEN Facebook was served a warrant to release their records. This wasn't a fishing expedition or malicious act by any means. 

If the police are investigating crimes that have already led to arrests, it seems reasonable for FB or other social media companies to assist the investigation, especially if forced to do so by court order.  Nobody would care if this wasn't a situation that had abortion at it's centre.  

Here is a local news report;

https://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/nebraska/norfolk-mother-and-daughter-accused-of-illegal-abortion-burning-and-burying-body/article_ff99fd49-a710-5ec3-8d51-5aced3001c71.html

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

The age of the fetus is actually crucial. It made what the mother/daughter were doing a crime. That may be the compelling reason for FB to release the data.

They aren't being prosecuted for having an abortion but for having one far past the range that the law allows in Nebraska.  The police were investigating some pretty serious felonies and Facebook was compelled by warrant to comply. FB didn't just volunteer the information. The two were charged with crimes, THEN Facebook was served a warrant to release their records. This wasn't a fishing expedition or malicious act by any means. 

If the police are investigating crimes that have already led to arrests, it seems reasonable for FB or other social media companies to assist the investigation, especially if forced to do so by court order.  Nobody would care if this wasn't a situation that had abortion at it's centre.  

https://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/nebraska/norfolk-mother-and-daughter-accused-of-illegal-abortion-burning-and-burying-body/article_ff99fd49-a710-5ec3-8d51-5aced3001c71.html

I don't think we really agree on much politically or socially Hanaguma, but I agree with everything you said there I think.   Perhaps not the final sentence entirely ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slip said:

I don't think we really agree on much politically or socially Hanaguma, but I agree with everything you said there I think.   Perhaps not the final sentence entirely ????

Appreciate it. Reasonable people can agree on "A", disagree on "B", and have a long chat over beers about "C".  You would probably be surprised on what we agree on, but that is never what some people seek to do. Present company excluded, of course!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Agreed.

The woman in question and FB are subject to the law.

Online comments are subject to the law.

Courts have authority to compel online businesses to reveal data pertinent to criminal investigations.

None of this should surprise anyone.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Credo said:

I think the point is not the age of the fetus, but the fact that Facebook was turning over data that many feel should not be done.   

I agree, but I think there's a line somewhere.

Murder, terrorism, pedophilia - I think we'd all agree there.

But the thought of Facebook becoming a supergrass where you could be subject to investigation for words you type (which may be in jest) - that's some Aldous Huxley stuff right there.

• Like 2