Jump to content

FINNAIR Arrival No Visa


Recommended Posts

 

Hello,
May I ask you. Have you heard about how it works with Finnair and return tickets when people
going here to Thailand from Sweden.
I have a friend who will book now in September, he will live here for the next 8 months
and also apply for a Extension based on marriage when he gets here..

He intends to come here with no VISA at all, but only the 30 days, and then do a so-called
conversion.... The problem that might arise will be with the airline if he doesn't have a
return ticket has. He intended to arrange with a return ticket for the month of May 2023 not sooner...

So my question is simply, do you have a feeling or idea if Finnair will let him on board
without him having a return ticket within the 30 days???

 

 

I am very happy for all input guys,

thank you,

 

glegolo

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finnair has required return ticket when fly to Thailand from Helsinki. Has been they policy.

I dont know why chance they policy if fly from Stocholm , destination and requirements are same anyway. But many guys can help you whit take "onward" ticket from Thailand so maybe that make the same thing. Many from Finland has chance the return day afterwards  but cost something 150€. And how you contact custom service these days nobody knows!

Edited by 2 is 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Finnair has required return ticket when fly to Thailand from Helsinki. Has been they policy.

I dont know why chance they policy if fly from Stocholm , destination and requirements are same anyway. But many guys can help you whit take "onward" ticket from Thailand so maybe that make the same thing. Many from Finland has chance the return day afterwards  but cost something 150€. And how you contact custom service these days nobody knows!

Thank you so much

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

without him having a return ticket within the 30 days???

It does not need to be return ticket 

Any onward flight within 30 days would satisfy the airline

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if still the same now, but Pre-Covid a one way ticket had a similar price to  return ticket. If price is similar, why not book the return leg for 8 months in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

Not sure if still the same now, but Pre-Covid a one way ticket had a similar price to  return ticket. If price is similar, why not book the return leg for 8 months in advance

The onward flight needs to be within 30 days if flying visa exempt 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

Not sure if still the same now, but Pre-Covid a one way ticket had a similar price to  return ticket. If price is similar, why not book the return leg for 8 months in advance

just book the closest = cheapest destination to show you will leave on time , e.g. BKK-Vientiane or PnomPhen

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

 

Why not ask FINNAIR what their policy is, rather than us?

I can think of numerous reasons.... 

 

The first being there is very likely more accurate knowledge on this specific subject on this forum than a FinnAir helpdesk could offer. 

 

The second, have you tired contacting an airline recently ??...  go through numerous automated options before being put on hold and finally getting through to a human who will tell you to read the terms and conditions on the FinnAir website !!!... and when point out that they are not specific enough to answer the question they’ll answer with the safest option from their perspective and not necessarily the accurate answer (i.e. you’ll need a return ticket). 

 

The answers provided on this forum have already been accurate. 

 

The Op will need proof of onward travel (to anywhere outside of Thailand) within 30 days of arrival. 

Its a simple question with a simple answer. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Get a Non O or a Non OA visa, problem solved and extendable in Thailand, given the respective conditions are met! 

 

If you are referring to the "problem solved" being the onward flight that's a minor issue.

 

If he obtains a non O-A not sure if his first extension can be based on marriage.

The non O-A itself requires insurance. 

 

His plan of enter visa exempt is good idea. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you are referring to the "problem solved" being the onward flight that's a minor issue.

 

If he obtains a non O-A not sure if his first extension can be based on marriage.

The non O-A itself requires insurance. 

 

His plan of enter visa exempt is good idea. 

 

If he has a visa (whatever category) then the airline will let him board. The airlines' query is, can the passenger get off the plane at the destination. If NOT, then the carrier MUST take the passenger back to the orgin of the flight. Finnair does not care about Thailand, Finnair simply wants to make sure that the passenger gets off where the ticket said. 

But why not getting it from the horse's mouth? Tell him to call the Embassy or Consulate; they certainly will know and grant him the necessary stamps, stickers and what-have-yous against the presentation of whatever the rules say. Everything else might contain the "hear tell" errors ....... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2022 at 12:35 AM, DrJack54 said:

The onward flight needs to be within 30 days if flying visa exempt 

Not correct. Flown in many times with a return over 30 days but less than 60 if they ask i just tell them I'm getting an extension.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

If he has a visa (whatever category) then the airline will let him board. The airlines' query is, can the passenger get off the plane at the destination. If NOT, then the carrier MUST take the passenger back to the orgin of the flight. Finnair does not care about Thailand, Finnair simply wants to make sure that the passenger gets off where the ticket said. 

But why not getting it from the horse's mouth? Tell him to call the Embassy or Consulate; they certainly will know and grant him the necessary stamps, stickers and what-have-yous against the presentation of whatever the rules say. Everything else might contain the "hear tell" errors ....... 

The onward flight may be required by the AIRLINE at feparture if flying visa exempt.

There are easy ways around this.

Obviously one is to purchase a "rent a ticket" 15usd.

Edited by DrJack54
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Swimfan said:

Not correct. Flown in many times with a return over 30 days but less than 60 if they ask i just tell them I'm getting an extension.

Very quick with the "Not Correct".

It depends on the airline.

Some will ask for nothing.

 

Some will require onward flight WITHIN 30 days.

 

Some will allow 60 with the "plan of extension" explained.

 

Some will allow you to sign a waiver.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2022 at 6:41 PM, treetops said:

Tell you friend not to take the chance of Finnair refusing to fly him.  He should buy a throway ticket to exit Thailand within 30 days and show it if required.  Alternatively he could "rent" an onward ticket from one of the various sites that offer this service.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=onward+ticket+service

 

How can finnair refuse if the incumbent is married to a thai national with relevant documents?

 

Wbr

Roobaa01

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Very quick with the "Not Correct".

It depends on the airline.

Some will ask for nothing.

 

Some will require onward flight WITHIN 30 days.

 

Some will allow 60 with the "plan of extension" explained.

 

Some will allow you to sign a waiver.

 

Flown multiple airlines and have never been questioned

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

How can finnair refuse if the incumbent is married to a thai national with relevant documents?

 

Wbr

Roobaa01

If he had visa or extension based on marriage and reentry permit he would not be refused.

If he is flying visa exempt without onward flight he could be refused.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Swimfan said:

 

Flown multiple airlines and have never been questioned

And many have.

Your personal experience counts for little. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

 

Flown multiple airlines and have never been questioned

you were lucky that the airline check-in staff weren't doing their job properly. go buy a lottery ticket stat!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

But why not getting it from the horse's mouth? Tell him to call the Embassy or Consulate; they certainly will know and grant him the necessary stamps, stickers and what-have-yous against the presentation of whatever the rules say. Everything else might contain the "hear tell" errors ....... 

I am replying to this because it contains a common and dangerous misconception.

 

People tend to assume that the embassy/consulate are the experts on all things related to Thai officialdom, and especially immigration matters. THEY ARE NOT! They can tell you the requirements to apply for visas and other services they provide themselves. On anything else, if you are lucky, they may admit they do not know. Much worse, they will often give you a confident and totally wrong answer. Similarly, treat anything written on an embassy/consulate website with suspicion. It is often totally incorrect or 20 years out of date.

 

The OP has received advice on a safe way to approach his issue: get a throwaway ticket or rental ticket. He may get on the flight without. (I have multiple times talked my way on without a requested onward flight ticket by assuring the airline supervisor that I will not be denied entry, and agreeing to sign an indemnification form.  That was not with Finnair, and not recommended to those of a nervous disposition.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am replying to this because it contains a common and dangerous misconception.

 

People tend to assume that the embassy/consulate are the experts on all things related to Thai officialdom, and especially immigration matters. THEY ARE NOT! They can tell you the requirements to apply for visas and other services they provide themselves. On anything else, if you are lucky, they may admit they do not know. Much worse, they will often give you a confident and totally wrong answer. Similarly, treat anything written on an embassy/consulate website with suspicion. It is often totally incorrect or 20 years out of date.

 

The OP has received advice on a safe way to approach his issue: get a throwaway ticket or rental ticket. He may get on the flight without. (I have multiple times talked my way on without a requested onward flight ticket by assuring the airline supervisor that I will not be denied entry, and agreeing to sign an indemnification form.  That was not with Finnair, and not recommended to those of a nervous disposition.)

Point taken but if the Embassy/Consulate does not know - who does then? They represent the country (albeit the extended arm of the Foreign Ministry) while immigration is under the police and latter is embedded in the Ministry of Interior. 

A visa entitles to travel there, the entry though is up to the immigration officer and their rules. I share your point on outdated (almost all) information, but as said, if he's married to a Thai national he can get a Non O visa which entitles to extensions locally if given criteria is met (latter I don't know either). 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

A visa entitles to travel there, the entry though is up to the immigration officer and their rules

Just in case you missed it.

The OP stated this......

 

"He intends to come here with no VISA at all, but only the 30 days, and then do a so-called

conversion.... The problem that might arise will be with the airline if he doesn't have a

return ticket has"

 

The return ticket has been pointed out to OP as "onward flight".

The correct answers have been provided in thread. 

Along with some sidetracking.

 

It's all about options to cover potential requirement from Airline to show onward flight for boarding visa exempt.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just in case you missed it.

The OP stated this......

 

"He intends to come here with no VISA at all, but only the 30 days, and then do a so-called

conversion.... The problem that might arise will be with the airline if he doesn't have a

return ticket has"

 

The return ticket has been pointed out to OP as "onward flight".

The correct answers have been provided in thread. 

Along with some sidetracking.

 

It's all about options to cover potential requirement from Airline to show onward flight for boarding visa exempt.

 

Yes, and I quite regularly fly with Finnair and can tell you their requirements (clearly stated online through their travel requirements tool, which gives more than just covid requirements and is very useful  - you don’t need to ask customer service) are that tourists must have a return or onward flight. If they accept you are not a tourist you don’t need that - when I use them my return is to Thailand so I don’t have it. I’ve never been challenged or questioned, but it’s pretty obvious from the stamps when you open my passport that I am not a tourist so others’ mileage may vary. Of course it is possible they won’t be bothered, especially if you have a return flight some time in the future - the stated rules do not specify ‘return flight within x days’ and they are a pretty relaxed airline in my experience. Still, I’d get a cheap onward ticket or clarify what evidence I need to show that I am not a tourist.

 

That scenario (return flight next year with no visa) is something that could be clarified with customer service - it’s a chat bot, but apart from the time they were re-scheduling all of their flights due to the Ukraine conflict I have got through to humans on first or second attempt and got the answers I needed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nonthaburi Boy said:

Yes, and I quite regularly fly with Finnair and can tell you their requirements (clearly stated online through their travel requirements tool, which gives more than just covid requirements and is very useful  - you don’t need to ask customer service) are that tourists must have a return or onward flight. If they accept you are not a tourist you don’t need that - when I use them my return is to Thailand so I don’t have it. I’ve never been challenged or questioned, but it’s pretty obvious from the stamps when you open my passport that I am not a tourist so others’ mileage may vary. Of course it is possible they won’t be bothered, especially if you have a return flight some time in the future - the stated rules do not specify ‘return flight within x days’ and they are a pretty relaxed airline in my experience. Still, I’d get a cheap onward ticket or clarify what evidence I need to show that I am not a tourist.

 

That scenario (return flight next year with no visa) is something that could be clarified with customer service - it’s a chat bot, but apart from the time they were re-scheduling all of their flights due to the Ukraine conflict I have got through to humans on first or second attempt and got the answers I needed. 

So after all that spiel what do you suggest best option for the OP,S friend.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So after all that spiel what do you suggest best option for the OP,S friend.

 

Haha… fair enough - I write like a lawyer sometimes. Two options and nothing new, which is why I actually responded to you in agreement but adding that a having a return next year, which the OP mentions, technically meets the Finnair requirements.

 

“Still, I’d get a cheap onward ticket or clarify what evidence I need to show that I am not atourist.

 

That scenario (return flight next year with no visa) is something that could be clarified with customer service - it’s a chat bot, but apart from the time they were re-scheduling all of their flights due to the Ukraine conflict I have got through to humans on first or second attempt and got the answers I needed.”

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...