Tourist Visa from South Korea

Someone has asked a friend of mine that he wanted to extend his tourist visa and  obviously went to Immigration office and they asked him for proof of funds and as far as I know came in on a normal tourist visa.
He is not married to a Thai and think no one can help him and obviously has no Thai bank account.
Any advise appreciated.

Edited by jwest10
spelling
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It is very unusual for Immigration to ask for proof of funds when doing a standard 30-day extension of a tourist entry (including visa exempt). I suspect he was looking for a 60-day "Covid" extension, rather than the virtually 100% automatic normal 30-day extension. If a normal extension, he should check into a hotel in another province for one night, and apply for the extension there. If he is looking for a "Covid" extension, someone here can probably advise on a good immigration office to use if we know his current location.

There is an outside chance he might be on a Special Tourist Visa (STV). Special conditions apply when extending that, and the issue might be that he could not show the required insurance.

As for a tourist visa from Seoul, I have not seen any recent reports. However, the rules back around 2018-2019 were that you could, in principle, apply. However, they would refuse to provide a tourist visa to someone who has recently been in Thailand as a tourist.