7 ex-CNRP activists jailed for insulting King, attempt to topple gov’t

geovalin

Seven former CNRP activists have been sent to 18 months to three years in prison each for inciting people to go against the authorities, overthrow the government and insulting the King on Facebook between 2018 and 2021. While pronouncing the verdict yesterday afternoon, Judge Khun Sona named the seven accused, which included five men – Long Ry, Men Thavarin, Morn Phalla, Monh Sarath, and Mich Heang – and two women, Kim Tola, and Lanh Thavry.

Judge Sonna added that among them, Thavry and Heang were arrested and jailed in prison while the other five accused have been at large but they had a court’s arrest warrant. When Judge Sona completed the announcement of his sentence, Heang, shouted that “it was injustice, the court is just a government’s tool.”

Heang said, “I did not agree with my conviction because I did not commit anything as accused. I will appeal against it.”

While Thavry, 33, a former commune chief of Russei Krork in Banteay Meanchey province was sentenced by the court to 18 months in prison over ‘incitement to commit a felony, Heang, 34, a labourer, was sentenced to three years in prison over ‘incitement to commit a felony and insulting the King’.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501129808/7-ex-cnrp-activists-jailed-for-insulting-king-attempt-to-topple-govt/

8-1-4.jpg.8e6d4dd04ab9625aa7d46285a6519094.jpg