Garland said he moved to unseal Trump search warrant, defends DOJ from attack

Scott

239 Department Of Justice Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty ...

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Merrick Garland said Thursday that he "personally approved the decision to seek a search warrant" for former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort and that the Justice Department filed a motion earlier in the day to make the warrant public.

Speaking about his decision during a press conference on Thursday, Garland said the department "does not take such actions lightly" and first pursues "less intrusive" means to retrieve material. Garland noted that it was Trump's "right" to reveal Monday's FBI search of his property and that all Americans are entitled to a presumption of innocence.

Garland also said that Justice Department has also asked to make public the property receipt detailing what agents found inside the Trump property.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/trump-received-subpoena-fbi-search-mar-lago-home-rcna42693

Trump can release the search warrant info if he really is sincere about transparency but he won't.... because it will hurt the current fundraising if "the base" knew the facts about what the FBI was looking for and found. 

Garland is no fool and is asking a court to release the info that the DOJ typically keeps quiet.

Will Trump ask the court to block the release now? Of course.

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 1

After my remarks about Garland sleeping at his desk for the past year I am hereby humbled and take it all back.

Called his bluff he did.  "This is what you want, this is what you get!"

Man, I just wish that orange guy would go into exile already.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bendejo said:

After my remarks about Garland sleeping at his desk for the past year I am hereby humbled and take it all back.

Called his bluff he did.  "This is what you want, this is what you get!"

Man, I just wish that orange guy would go into exile already.

If he could shake his Secret Service detail he might try to slip away

44 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

trump apparently happy for unsealing to happen.

We’ll see…

Donald Trump does not oppose US bid to unseal Mar-a-Lago search warrant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62512360

He was possibly advised that to oppose it would be a further indicator of his guilt so he was thus forced to agree for the release of details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Excel said:

He was possibly advised that to oppose it would be a further indicator of his guilt so he was thus forced to agree for the release of details.

There's nothing stopping him from releasing his own copy already, along with the inventory of items removed that he already has.  Maybe he's doing a bit of "Sharpie-editing" to both before doing so, and then screaming that the DOJ documents and his own don't match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ballpoint said:

There's nothing stopping him from releasing his own copy already, along with the inventory of items removed that he already has.  Maybe he's doing a bit of "Sharpie-editing" to both before doing so, and then screaming that the DOJ documents and his own don't match.

Wouldn't put that past him at all.