Rainwater that collected in canvas awning shocks lady driver as she goes home - "tons" of water falls on her Fiesta

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on yet another serious accident during construction of the expressway on Rama 2 road.

The latest incident followed a U-turn bridge collapse on the same road that killed two people. 

In this one a lady called Thichakorn Photalay, 33, was driving home to Mahachai in her Ford Fiesta after attending an English class at Central Rama 2 last night.

She said that there was not much traffic and she was driving in the right hand lane of the central part of the road outbound.

Suddenly there was a huge noise as what she imagined was tons of water fell on her car denting the roof and smashing the windshield. 

She managed to brake before calling her boyfriend and the Samae Dam police who arrived at the scene.

The water had come down after it collected in a canvas awning above in construction of the expressway overheard by Pong-Pat Enterprise Co. Ltd.

Nitiphan Wongraksa, 38, the lady's boyfriend said that it was his car. 

Looking above his head he told reporters that it wouldn't be the last time this happened, there was more water to come. 

Representatives from the company and the Samut Sakhon authorities were discussing full compensation at the police station.

Nitiphan said he didn't have full insurance and needed the car daily.

The incident happened outbound by the Laddarom Regent housing estate some time after 10pm last night.

Samae Dam police are investigating in the aftermath but Thai Rath mentioned no immediate action against the company involved in the construction.  

ASEAN NOW notes that construction for dozens of kilometers leading out of and into Bangkok on Rama 2 has made driving in the area a nightmare for years.

Even without accidents such as these. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

Samae Dam police are investigating in the aftermath but Thai Rath mentioned no immediate action against the company involved in the construction.

Probably won't be if stuffed brown envelopes are distributed to the cops by the company.

Huge volume of water crashes onto car from elevated motorway construction site

image.jpeg

A motorist narrowly escaped serious injury last night (Thursday) when a huge volume of rainwater, which had accumulated in a large plastic sheet hung on an elevated motorway construction site on the Rama II highway, crashed down onto her car.

The water’s impact cracked the windshield of the car being driven by 33-year-old Thichakorn Pothalay.

The woman told the police that she was driving to her home in a housing estate in Bang Khun Thian district last night from the Rama II area in the right lane of the Rama II highway. She said that she noticed water dripping from the elevated motorway and, suddenly, a huge amount of water crashed onto her car, forcing her to brake aggressively.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/huge-volume-of-water-crashes-onto-car-from-elevated-motorway-construction-site/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-08-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

7 hours ago, webfact said:

tons of water fell on her car denting the roof and smashing the windshield. 

5 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

It's ludicrous to think that water alone caused that damage to a modern car windscreen.

Your answer is in the o/p. No storm water management control to start with.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

It's ludicrous to think that water alone caused that damage to a modern car windscreen. It would need to be hard sharp objects in the deluge of water that hit the car . But how can that be possible at a Thai construction site?

underestimate the power of nature at your peril

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jcmj said:

I bet he wishes he had insurance now. I’d be surprised if they even had drivers license. TIT

I’m sure he wished he had first insurance. However I’m sure you are aware that level of insurance is difficult to obtain when a vehicle is a few years old. Of course that might not be the case here. Maybe was just a poor person and hoped to save money.

Stupid and unnecessary comment about driving license. Unfortunately typical smart <deleted> comment

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 10:13 AM, peterpaintpot said:

It's ludicrous to think that water alone caused that damage to a modern car windscreen. It would need to be hard sharp objects in the deluge of water that hit the car

It's just as ludicrous to ignore the fact that the huge weight of water heavily distorted the roof that the windscreen frame is part of and to which the very-breakable windscreen is glued.  Bend the frame and the fixed glass breaks even if the weight of the water was not enough to do so.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, jcmj said:

I bet he wishes he had insurance now. 

"A representative of the contractor responsible for the construction of that particular section of the elevated motorway rushed to the Samae Dam police station last night to arrange compensation.

He promised that the company would compensate the victim for the damage, but would wait for a professional assessment of the damage first".

5 hours ago, jcmj said:

I’d be surprised if they even had drivers license. TIT

Why would you be so sure that they do not have licences and (apart from another lame Thai-bash) even if they don't have licences, what's the relevance to the incident or it's outcome?  

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, PFMills said:

I’m sure he wished he had first insurance. However I’m sure you are aware that level of insurance is difficult to obtain when a vehicle is a few years old. Of course that might not be the case here. Maybe was just a poor person and hoped to save money.

"A representative of the contractor responsible for the construction of that particular section of the elevated motorway rushed to the Samae Dam police station last night to arrange compensation.

He promised that the company would compensate the victim for the damage, but would wait for a professional assessment of the damage first".

On 8/12/2022 at 3:49 PM, Hamus Yaigh said:

Your answer is in the o/p. No storm water management control to start with.

It is a pity that you did not complete my quote as I inferred that it was other materials that were in the water. I apologise to you if you do not understand irony!

21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's just as ludicrous to ignore the fact that the huge weight of water heavily distorted the roof that the windscreen frame is part of and to which the very-breakable windscreen is glued.  Bend the frame and the fixed glass breaks even if the weight of the water was not enough to do so.

I beg to differ if you look at the original photo on this site. No large cracks just scars indicating it had been struck by main hard, sharp objects. The body did not flex, just the roof was dented and that dent did not reach the screen. Car roofs are not designed to take weights, they dent fairly easily.

47 minutes ago, peterpaintpot said:

It is a pity that you did not complete my quote as I inferred that it was other materials that were in the water.

Sorry, I thought you meant you honestly believed water alone could not do this.

The Hamster video above is clear.