Where to get rid of old paints etc.?

peterfranks

Clearing up my storage shed, which is full of paint leftovers, chemicals and other stuff, from when I build my house years ago, and which obviously will never be used again.

Now the question is where to get rid of them.

I assume can't just dump them with the regular rubbish that is picked up every day.

Any advice on this appreciated

No idea about the chemicals, but for paint, this is what my neighbors do

open the bucket, leave it in the sun for a couple of days, it will eventually dry out and then with a scraper get rid of the dry paint (they put it in the garbage) and then you can use the Bucket for other things

• Like 1

It is a pity that - sofar - there is not a single constructive input to an absolutely valid question. Same query applies to used kitchen oil, kept by us in emptied milk containers and recycled through the gasoline station around the corner which takes this waste and disposes of the proper way round by a governmental disposal service coming around once a month - we've been told. 

Paint, chemicals - no clue but maybe check with the gasoline station you get your car filled ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always keep old house paints ( unless they are spoilt ) for touch up work in the years to come. 

Tip : Never mix your emulsion paint with tap water to thin it out then try to store it....the impurities in the water spoil the paint. 

Pour out paint you intend to use and mix that with good bottled water. Store the undiluted paint somewhere cool for later use.

As an aside , it always surprises me that in general, Thais seldom bother with home maintenance unless absolutely necessary.

If you still want to get rid of it put the good stuff in a box outside your house with a sign in Thai. ' FREE PAINT "

Someone will take it.

Edited by Denim

13 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I never knew what to do with old alkaline batteries (from remotes, mainly.)  Got about as many useful replies as this thread when I asked.

But ask where the beer is 2 baht cheaper during happy hour, or where you can get the best BJ, and this thread would now be overflowing with answers

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

So you can dump your old wasted paints and chemicals with homepro? Really?

Sure, just dump them at the entrance, they won't mind! Use a Big-C cart to get them to the upper level at Big-CX. 

14 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I never knew what to do with old alkaline batteries (from remotes, mainly.)  Got about as many useful replies as this thread when I asked.

Your local AIS store collects old batteries, at least most of them do.

• Like 1