Old bank account - can I resurrect?

My Bangkok Bank savings account had 3000 baht in it in 2017. I still have the book.

In 2017, I had to leave Thailand quickly due to a having a medical emergency. I never had a chance to talk to the bank.

I used to have a driver's license, work permit and O-visa... but those have all expired.

So, will I be able to use my account as a tourist?

Did I lose my 3000bt?     555

thanks all,  WJ

ps - Is Bangkok Bank good enough to exchange $3000 Canadian? if I still have my account, then I can deposit it all at once. 

Edited by wjmark

If it has no deposits or withdrawals in that time nope.

Getting a new account with Bkk Bank difficult as a tourist perhaps...depends on branch.

One of my accounts frozen and closed by them due to inactivity 2.5 years or may be 2 is cut-off point....any money in it gone...would have been small.

Second one still alive due to deposits from abroad.

Same bank Bangkok Bank -2 different results due to inactivity/activity on each one.

I think that after a couple of years with no transactions, at least some Thai banks will start to charge a monthly service charge until the funds in the account are exhausted. 

Back in 2018 a law was proposed to require Thai banks to send to the Bank of Thailand any funds in accounts that had been dormant for ten years. I'm not sure whether this law was put into force. News reports at the time said that the account holder or heirs could claim the funds at any time. 

So if this law came into effect and your account hasn't been reduced to zero by monthly fees, you should be able to get at least some of your money back. 

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu

1 hour ago, wjmark said:

Did I lose my 3000bt?     555

thanks all,  WJ

Account maintenance fee/rules -

In the event that an account is closed within 30 days of the account opening date, it shall be subject to a fee of 50 baht/account. 

Maintenance Fees of 50 baht/month for accounts with no movement for 12 consecutive months and having account balances lower than 2,000 baht 

Accounts with a balance of zero and inactive for over 12 consecutive months will be closed by the Bank.

• Like 1

OP,

Your Bangkok Bank acct could still be alive as long as none of the rules posted in Dr Jay's post above came into effect on your acct like due to low balance or inactivity.   And when it comes to activity that means account owner generated activity like making a deposit/withdrawal/transfer; it's not bank generated activity like an interest payment, bank fee, etc.

Now if you had a debit card with the acct then that means at least a Bt200 fee (maybe Bt300) per year was applied.  2017 to 2022 is 5 years which means around/at least Bt1,000 has been charged against the acct for the annual debit card fee.   Interest would have earned just a few baht since interest rates have been very low for the last 5 years or so.  

So, it sounds like your Aug 2022 balance (if the acct is still active) would have been down to around Bt2,000....maybe a little above or a little below.  If a little below the Bt50/month fee may have already kicked-in approx 2022 would start draining the acct by 50/month....Bt600/year.

All you can do is contact Bangkok Bank to see if your acct is still alive....you need to provide your passport as ID....don't worry about work permit, visa, etc.  You just need the basic passport.   

If you have renewed your passport since 2017 then you need to take along your old and new passport to easily prove you are the acct owner since the Bangkok Bank computer system and your old bank passbook will still reflect you old passport number.  The passport number on the passbook is on the last page and can only be seen when held under a black light.   If you no longer have the bank passbook you just need to show-up with passport in hand and see what the bank says.  Good luck.

• Like 2

Thai banks will start to take out 50 baht per month if you have no activity for 12 months and the balance is 2,000 baht or less.  The money will continue to come out until the balance is 0. 

I had this happen to me at SCB on an account I wasn't using.  A couple of years later I decided to use it again and was able to just deposit some money into it to make it active again.

go to BBank where you opened the account with your bank book and 500 bht in tell the teller you want to deposit 500, you don't need passport for this in one second you will find out the status of your account....... if she/he accept the money she will give you a deposit receipt that you have to sign and she will update your book and wala!!!!!!!!!!! your ok. go home a happy camper  check your book balance......... Or go to the machine and try to update your book see whats happen.......easy be cool good luck brother.

• Like 1