Thai Tourist Visa in Penang

I am planning on applying for a 60 Day tourist visa from the Thai consulate in Penang around the middle of October. Pre Covid times, I remember that the consulate had some sort of a quota system on how many visas they would issue, and obtaining a visa there was not always a straight forward thing to do. Has anyone had any recent experience applying for a tourist visa in Penang? Also, does anyone know if the visa agents in Penang are still there and still providing this service? 

Cheers.

• Like 1

Pre Wuhuflu Penang were rejecting back to back tourist visas and anyone who had a 'history' of tourist visas from there. From memory even the 'agent' would not guarantee success. The only agent I can remember was 'Jim', ran a book shop in Chulia? street.

They were at times asking for some financial proof as well.

Might have been this place. I do mean 'might'.

images (2).jpeg

• Like 2

Thank you for your response overherebc. I am currently in Thailand with a tourist visa issued in Australia. It's my first trip back since February 2020.

I imagine that the consulate in Penang is not currently issuing the same volume of visas as in the past and can only hope that they aren't as strict as they were before covid.

2 minutes ago, hopefc said:

. I am currently in Thailand with a tourist visa issued in Australia

Obtain tourist visa in Vientiane. 

Have you been to Penang.

I wouldn't go even with free ticket.

Better still take flight to Saigon..

Where are you located.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Obtain tourist visa in Vientiane. 

Have you been to Penang.

I wouldn't go even with free ticket.

Better still take flight to Saigon..

Where are you located.

If you go to Saigon do NOT get out a taxi through the left hand door.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If you go to Saigon do NOT get out a taxi through the left hand door.

For those that go to Saigon walk out from arrival lounge straight onto yellow bus #109 to district 1.

20k dong which is 1usd

1 hour ago, hopefc said:

Thank you for your response overherebc. I am currently in Thailand with a tourist visa issued in Australia. It's my first trip back since February 2020.

I imagine that the consulate in Penang is not currently issuing the same volume of visas as in the past and can only hope that they aren't as strict as they were before covid.

If you are in Thailand try using  a Thai agent.

• Haha 1

My visa agent recommended that I get a volunteer visa in Penang because her contact is there and they are running normally. I fly from DMK > PEN on Aug 28 to apply for tourist visa (which hopefully is for 45 days).

This will be my first time there, happy to share my experience and do any investigation if you point me in a specific direction.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, 0xanon said:

My visa agent recommended that I get a volunteer visa in Penang because her contact is there and they are running normally. I fly from DMK > PEN on Aug 28 to apply for tourist visa (which hopefully is for 45 days).

This will be my first time there, happy to share my experience and do any investigation if you point me in a specific direction.

Are you going to Penang for a tourist visa or Non O volunteer visa?

If you receive a tourist visa in Panang, you will receive a 60-day permission to stay when you return to Thailand, which can optionally be extended for a further 30 days at immigration.

On 8/13/2022 at 8:25 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Penang  is a great place. The old town is a top place. One of the nicest place in Malaysia if not Asia. Its a fascinating,  charming town with excellent  food, good night life amazing  mixture of cultural architecture and cheap too.

I'll second that, not that it should be necessary. old mate's talking through his hat, maybe he's gone a bit doolally from leaving confused emojis on every other post ????