Bangkok Bank debit card use in USA

I have a Bangkok Bank debit card that is UnionPay. They now have a debit card  that is Mastercard but costs 700 baht to obtain. 

has anyone successfully used their Bangkok Bank debit card to make purchases in the USA?

If yes then was it UnionPay or do I need Mastercard? 

If not able to use or have advice about using in USA please post comments. Thank you 

reason I want to use my Thailand debit is to get some baht out of my account if I don’t return to Thailand for a long period of time. 

Maybe switch to the

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card/Be1st-Digital

I think there are both virtual and physical versions of this card. It is Mastercard endorsed. I think you can apply using the mobile app. Bualuang mobile app.

Assume you have internet banking, and also use the mobile app? Make sure you extend the validity of your SIM card, and register for internaitonal roaming and WiFi calling if available.

For those with SCB check out the Planet Card, could be handy for international travelers.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Maybe switch to the

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card/Be1st-Digital

I think there are both virtual and physical versions of this card. It is Mastercard endorsed. I think you can apply using the mobile app. Bualuang mobile app.

Assume you have internet banking, and also use the mobile app? Make sure you extend the validity of your SIM card, and register for internaitonal roaming and WiFi calling if available.

For those with SCB check out the Planet Card, could be handy for international travelers.

Thanks for the information. I have a friend in USA who told me his Union pay works at 95 percent of places just like Mastercard and Visa. Apparently UnionPay and Discover Card from USA have a joint venture agreement so UnionPay is widely accepted in USA now. 
My Bangkok Bank app has my virtual debit card so I will bypass paying 700 baht to switch to a Mastercard debit card. 
will also top up my phone online to keep it current. 

Note very carefully the distinction on that UnionPay site; the OP is talking about a DEBIT card.

"In the US, over 80% merchants accept UnionPay CREDIT cards for payment via signature verification. You can also pay with UnionPay DEBIT cards via PIN at merchants equipped with PIN pad."

Note Amazon's policy:

"The following payment methods are available for use: . . .

• China UnionPay (CREDIT card only)."
  • Thanks 1

What are the fee(s), daily/single-use limits, and exchange rates, for using a BBL ATM Debit card at an ATM in the U.S.?

I looked on the BBL site but the real contract is only available in Thai (PDF).

Personally I wouldn't rely solely on a BBL/TPN Union Pay debit card.

On 8/15/2022 at 7:51 PM, Pib said:

OP,

You said the Mastercard debit card costs Bt700 to obtain....where did you get that info?   

The Bangkok Bank website says Bt100 for initial issue and then a Bt300 annual fee.   I have the Mastercard debit card and those are indeed the cost. 

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card/Be1st-Smart-TPN-Mastercard

image.png.c16e6c75ac1d1bdbaeadbec43add3a0e.png

Bangkok bank officer told me the card was 699 baht. So I declined. 

• Sad 1

On 8/18/2022 at 7:22 AM, bamnutsak said:

What are the fee(s), daily/single-use limits, and exchange rates, for using a BBL ATM Debit card at an ATM in the U.S.?

I looked on the BBL site but the real contract is only available in Thai (PDF).

Personally I wouldn't rely solely on a BBL/TPN Union Pay debit card.

I agree. I am not relying on it solely. I am wanting to be able to use it if I don’t come back to Bangkok for over a year. 

55 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Bangkok bank officer told me the card was 699 baht. So I declined. 

Believe that was the branded version with accident insurance - 599 per year plus 100 entry fee.

Be1st Smart TPN Rabbit Siriraj Card

The normal is 300 per year plus 100 entry fee.

Be1st Smart TPN Mastercard

• Thanks 1