What are my options for extending my stay?

Single guy  Late 50,s from the Uk arrived about 3rd week of June on visa waiver.Have done one 30 day extension at Jomtien immigration.I am aware of the covid extension that can give another 60 days and have all the forms ready for that.

Previously on my visits to Thailand the most I have ever stayed is 7 weeks all done on tourist visas.I have heard of visa runs and retirement visa 0 and OA but don’t have full knowledge of the requirements and know that some people use agents.

My feeling at the moment is that I might want to stay until next year maybe end of March. My original plan was that I would go home after 60 days.

If I get this covid extension ok takes me too nearly end of October.Should I then be looking at getting the ball rolling for a retirement visa as I might then need something to take me from November through to March time period approx 6 months more.

I think I have seen some figures for retirement visa through agent about 20-25000 baht does that sound about right? I could transfer 800k over but at the moment don’t have Thai bank account.

Thanks

Without doing the non O retirement path...

You could see out this year with a covid extension followed by couple of border runs with each visa exempt entry extended.

Next year do visa run to say Vientiane and extension that gives 3 months.

If you were to use agent they would obtain the bank account and obtain a non O and 12 month extension.

Seems overkill for the time you wish to say.

Approx cost with the bank account, non O and extension 30k+

You could transfer the 800k and do the non O and extension yourself and use agent just for the bank account. Cost approx 3500 for bank account.

2k non O and 1900 annual extension 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Opening an account will be easy if you also tell them its for the 800k deposit, might be worth it if you wanna stay longer and dont mind.

Agent would be 25-30k without.

About 18 months ago I tried to open a bank account with Bangkok Bank branch Sukhumvit.

The manager wanted a residence certificate.

I actually had 600k baht on me and he wouldn't budge.

BTW I'm on annual extensions. 

54 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

About 18 months ago I tried to open a bank account with Bangkok Bank branch Sukhumvit.

The manager wanted a residence certificate.

I actually had 600k baht on me and he wouldn't budge.

BTW I'm on annual extensions. 

He is not interested in your money  -  he is interested only in ticking the box on his 'account opening criteria' piece of paper.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hmunker said:

If I get this covid extension ok takes me too nearly end of October.Should I then be looking at getting the ball rolling for a retirement visa as I might then need something to take me from November through to March time period approx 6 months more.

Some feel a year visa is over kill--but what are your long term plans ? if you mean to keep coming back to Thailand for indefinite periods--then you can get the year and pay (500) to leave at the airport. Or also get a reentry permit with the visa (more expensive) --then come and go as you wish for that year.

Depends on your longer term plans--also Visa agents differ a lot in area's where are you....

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

Some feel a year visa is over kill--

From the OP....

"Previously on my visits to Thailand the most I have ever stayed is 7 weeks all done on tourist visas."

Does not have bank account.

Never planned to open one previously it would seem.

Unless he is planning 6 month in/out (snowbird) then yes better options than extensions to a non O based on retirement. 

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

From the OP....

"Previously on my visits to Thailand the most I have ever stayed is 7 weeks all done on tourist visas."

Does not have bank account.

Never planned to open one previously it would seem.

Unless he is planning 6 month in/out (snowbird) then yes better options than extensions to a non O based on retirement. 

I had tried twice on different holidays to open bank account with Bangkok bank in Pattaya.Both times near end of holiday and had been told it wasn’t going to be thousands of baht with that insurance thing.Both times think I was told 4-5000 baht when actually in the bank so said to myself maybe open one next time ????.

Just now, Hmunker said:

I had tried twice on different holidays to open bank account with Bangkok bank in Pattaya.Both times near end of holiday and had been told it wasn’t going to be thousands of baht with that insurance thing.Both times think I was told 4-5000 baht when actually in the bank so said to myself maybe open one next time ????.

Be aware that in Bangkok to open a bank account you require a residence certificate.

The catch 22 is that at CW to obtain a residence certificate you need to have a 90 day report. 

No possible with entry on visa exempt or tourist visa.

Recently a thread of OP needing residence certificate at Jomtien however that office does not require 90 report.

If you choose non O retirement path I suggest you use agent.

Plenty in Pattaya. 3500-4000k would cover it