Somchai builds a roof for the ATM

RamenRaven

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Tall people, 176+cm should be banned from Thailand, problem solved ????

Can't do that, we need them for early warning of rain and snow showers????

Just for the record I'm about 179cm.

Edited by foreverlomsak
additional data

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Point is, some of us are not 'pretty darn sure' what you surmise about 'Western men'. 

I am off to my local Bkk Bank ATM right now with my tape measure.

Is it only Bkk Bank who have covered their ATMs or ALL banks everywhere in Thailand?

I have a feeling that the local 7-Eleven did it, not Bangkok Bank. This looks like a local Thai village handyman job.

Western men = European men

No one cares if Somchai is only 160 cm or 140 cm tall.

The problem is that Somchai appears to genuinely believe that the maximum height of Homo sapiens is 175 cm - and builds everything right at 175 cm, or perhaps 180 cm if he is being generous.

This is evident in the way that street markets, covered markets, and rural homes are built all over Thailand.

So the entire place gets turned into a "kingdom of the little people."

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/26/health/china-kingdom-of-little-people/index.html

https://time.com/5293240/dwarfism-china-kingdom-of-the-little-people/

It's a theme park in China, but I actually thought it was referring to LOS when I first saw the title.

• Haha 1

There is something very amiss with this OP's Topic, obviously.

Especially if he might be an Australian.

What I mean is this:

aa.  Australians are always complaining about how BORING their country is.

bb.  Then, Australians come to Thailand where things are not boring.

cc.   Then, they forget their complaining about being bored in Australia.

dd.  And then, they begin to complain about the unexpected, here in Thailand, where everywhere you go there is the unexpected.

I have only one thing to say to these bored Australians:  She refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring....

In fact....One might ask the question:

How can a girl say again, “I do not want to be respectable because respectable girls are not attractive,” and how can she again so wisely arrive at the knowledge that “boys do dance most with the girls they kiss most,” and that “men will marry the girls they could kiss before they had asked papa?” Perceiving these things, the Flapper awoke from her lethargy of sub-deb-ism, bobbed her hair, put on her choicest pair of earrings and a great deal of audacity and rouge and went into the battle. She flirted because it was fun to flirt and wore a one-piece bathing suit because she had a good figure, she covered her face with powder and paint because she didn’t need it and she refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn’t boring. She was conscious that the things she did were the things she had always wanted to do. Mothers disapproved of their sons taking the Flapper to dances, to teas, to swim and most of all to heart. She had mostly masculine friends, but youth does not need friends – it needs only crowds …

— from “Eulogy on the Flapper”, by Zelda Fitzgerald because she wasn't boring.

Enjoy, my friends!

Zelda was amazing.

F. Scott Fitzgerald, was amazing.

Don't be bored with what you find in Thailand,

My friends.

Consider yourselves lucky anytime you need to stoop to enter an ATM....

You are LUCKY!

And, in addition to stooping at the ATM,

If you are able to simultaneously shtupp at the ATM,

Then, you will find that life here is even less boring than you ever imagined.

And you will leave the ATM a very happy bank customer.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

There's something very patronising, vaguely racist about the dismissive terms somchai and noi , catchall  names you use in this story.  Why not just use  the word 'Thais'.

It's like thinking all Jamaicans are  called Winston and all blacks called Rastus.

There's  something about the tone of your story that hints at  entitlement and a belief in your superiority

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

There's something very patronising, vaguely racist about the dismissive terms somchai and noi , catchall  names you use in this story.  Why not just use  the word 'Thais'.

It's like thinking all Jamaicans are  called Winston and all blacks called Rastus.

There's  something about the tone of your story that hints at  entitlement and a belief in your superiority

I would have thought that what you have redundantly pointed out in your comment has already been crystal clear to most of us since we first read this topic.

What more is there to say, anyway?