Somchai builds a roof for the ATM

RamenRaven

8 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Get over yourself.  Heaven forbid you had a real disability or were in a wheel chair.  You would very quickly learn that accessibility is not even a word in the thai language.

In practice, anyone over 175 cm is a disabled oversized buffalo in Thailand. ????

Anyways, this is meant to be humorous. Let's learn from the Thais - smile and laugh at anything, everything.

• Like 2

Bangkok Bank ATMs:.

of course they have the latest glitzy machines at Central. In our area they have decades old worn out  wrecks. Displays pale and so dark that once in a while I had to give up with the sun shining in.

A roof is cheaper than a new ATM.

Going by the OP photo, the bloke (looks like a farang?) using the machine will be roughly 176-178 cm tall. There is a good 10 cm headroom there.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Going by the OP photo, the bloke (looks like a farang?) using the machine will be roughly 176-178 cm tall. There is a good 10 cm headroom there.

That's not a farang. He's a Thai. Or Burmese or Cambodian or other Southeast Asian. I saw his face.

Notice the black hair too.

He's not 178 cm, although he was the tallest person I saw who went to use the ATM.

I'm 185 cm and the roof was at my cheek/jaw level.

• Confused 1

Why not open a mocking/complaining subforum, so all the farangs who like to live in Thailand but despise everything the Thais do can let it all out.

It doesn't shield from the sun... so perhaps they only wanted to shield you from rain?

Tall farangs will bump their head... anyone who is tall and lived here long enough has learned that on many occasions we need to kneel down a little, not just at this ATM.

Also, generations change, they get taller, I was often "sticking out" in my own country as a teenager but now when I am there I am rarely the tallest in a bus or in a shop. Even here, I do meet young Thai people over 190cm occasionally.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Tall people, 176+cm should be banned from Thailand, problem solved ????

But since they're all flush with cash, no one would ban them.

Big 179 cm tall buffalos spelunking through street markets, dodging umbrellas and tent poles as they walk around like the Hunchback of Notre Dame - still good business. Never mind if they'll end up with a Harry Potter scar or Gorbachev mark on their heads as long as they buy some Som Tam!

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

It would appear from that photo, and the shadow its casting, its about as much use as a chocolate fireguard ! Its doing nothing to shade the screen.

at least Somchai had a crack at it. kudos to old mate.

47 minutes ago, RamenRaven said:

In practice, anyone over 175 cm is a disabled oversized buffalo in Thailand. ????

Anyways, this is meant to be humorous. Let's learn from the Thais - smile and laugh at anything, everything.

maybe you meant it to be humorous but it comes across as very condescending. especially the "to my utter surprise" bit. don't give up your day job ????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Why not open a mocking/complaining subforum, so all the farangs who like to live in Thailand but despise everything the Thais do can let it all out.

You'll need another sub-forum for all the people that don't live in Thailand, and have no desire to visit, but waste their life on forums complaining about it ... ????

Notice a couple of those on the 'living in TH vs UK' thread ... mind boggling.

Another sub-forum for the folks that never lived or even visited the USA, but happy to tell us all how horrible it is.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

Was there not a button on the machine to allow the standing pad area to descend 20 CM and a glass enclosure wrap around your body as it moved out from both sides of the machine at which time the glass surrounding enclosure would instantly darken so no one could see your activity?  Wait maybe I was watching get smart.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RamenRaven said:

That's not a farang. He's a Thai. Or Burmese or Cambodian or other Southeast Asian. I saw his face.

Notice the black hair too.

He's not 178 cm, although he was the tallest person I saw who went to use the ATM.

I was at the very same ATM when the photo was taken, and I can assure that the black hair belonged to a 180 cm. Eskimo

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I was at the very same ATM when the photo was taken, and I can assure that the black hair belonged to a 180 cm. Eskimo

Jokes aside, I know that this guy doesn't look that small if there is no farang standing next to him.

It's an optical illusion!

That's because in Thailand, literally everything looks shrunk by 15-20%.

Just open up random images of streets, buildings, homes, markets, people, and even pets and trees in Europe, US, or Australia, and get your mouse scroll to shrink them by 15-20%, and everything will become Thai-sized.

Get a typical farang dude for comparison and you can definitely see how low the ATM roof really is.

Edited by RamenRaven

1 hour ago, RamenRaven said:

BS.

We all can see the distance between the top of the ATM and the roof..

I don't know the standard height of an ATM, but if that roof is the level of your jaw, then I imagine you're unable to use any ATM in Thailand without sitting on your knees.

• Like 1

To be more accurate, I believe the bottom of the roof was at my ear level (our ears aren't that far from our cheeks by the way), but still, that thing is substandard construction.

Western men tend to stand a bit further and look down at ATMs when using them, but they're still usable. A typical Western man's head would be right at where the roof is.

All over the world, standard roof and door heights for modern buildings and structures are always 2 metres (200 cm) or higher.

Point is, we're all pretty darn sure that at least 50% of all Western men can't stand up straight under that thing.

Edited by RamenRaven

2 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

Point is, we're all pretty darn sure that at least 50% of all Western men can't stand up straight under that thing.

Point is, some of us are not 'pretty darn sure' what you surmise about 'Western men'. 

I am off to my local Bkk Bank ATM right now with my tape measure.

Is it only Bkk Bank who have covered their ATMs or ALL banks everywhere in Thailand?

• Haha 1