Father forced to kill his 37-year-old son in self-defence in yet another drug-related tragedy in Udon Thani

webfact

image.jpeg

by James Morris and Son Nguyen

57-year-old father used an illegal gas gun to fire two shots at his son in the early hours of Saturday morning after being ambushed by him as he launched another violent tirade demanding money for drugs. Son had returned home to Udon Thani from Bangkok in February after losing his job.

The tragedy and torment of Thailand’s ongoing drug addiction epidemic were brought home on Saturday when a 57-year-old man broke down and told police that he could not avoid shooting his 37-year-old son dead in the early hours of the morning as a homicide investigation got underway in the Kut Chap district of Udon Thani.

Police in Udon Thani, in northeastern Thailand, on Saturday charged a 57-year-old man with killing his son after an early morning incident in which the younger man attacked his father with a knife while demanding money for drugs.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/08/14/father-kills-37-year-old-son-in-drug-tirade/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2022-08-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 5

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Police in Udon Thani, in northeastern Thailand, on Saturday charged a 57-year-old man with killing his son after an early morning incident in which the younger man attacked his father with a knife while demanding money for drugs.

I feel sorry for the father.... a terrible situation to be in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Headline should read 'Dad shoots waste of space son'.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I feel sorry for the father.... a terrible situation to be in.

The father must have his share of responsibility. How was his son brought up? Did the parents do everything they could to raise their son? Just wondering, without condoning the son’s behavior of course.

4 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

No one forces anyone to become a drug user, or an alcohol user.

It is a sad world when your offspring cannot keep a job, then comes home to

demand money for his drug problem. I hope the mother can do okay in the

future. 

These are the writings of someone who has a complete and utter disconnect with reality. 

Read Chalawan’s post - it makes a lot of sense where as your comment is simply virtue singling from an ivy tower...  

Did you ever have a beer ?? no one forced you right ?... sometimes these drugs (tobacco, alcohol, meth etc) get hold of people... 

6 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Thailand seizes truck loads of drugs, how much more gets thru. 

Seeing as how police and/or army are actively involved in the drugs trade (and making billions and billions of baht in the process), I’d say 90-95% gets through. Every now and then they ‘seize’ a load, to show everyone that they’re really doing something against the drugs smuggling, but that is just to pull the wool over our eyes. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Why was the father forced to kill his son?

He could have disabled him with a shot to the leg (rarely fatal)?

When you have a shotgun (or gas gun whatever that it) and a drugged up person with a knife is coming at you...   yeah... just shoot them in the leg....

You’ll of course hit your target, they’ll immediately fall over, sober up and remain still and no longer try to attack you... just like they do in the movies !!!.... :whistling:

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When you have a shotgun (or gas gun whatever that it) and a drugged up person with a knife is coming at you...   yeah... just shoot them in the leg....

You’ll of course hit your target, they’ll immediately fall over, sober up and remain still and no longer try to attack you... just like they do in the movies !!!.... :whistling:

It is almost certain that the father had undergone some weapons training in his youth.

"Conscription was introduced in Thailand in 1905. According to the Constitution of the Kingdom, serving in the armed forces is a national duty of all Thai citizens. In practice, only males over the age of 21 who have not gone through reserve training are subject to conscription."

If you came at me with a knife and I was armed with a gun I would happily aim to blow your balls off!

Edited by Troy Tempest

Adopting the "Portugal model" for handling drug abuse would go a long way is solving these problems.  The other question to ask is why can't a government who wants to buy F35s and submarines unable to stop the methamphetamines from entering the country.  
Try funding border patrols.  But, then you have under-paid border patrols and corruption. 

Decriminalize it then take the approach Portugal uses.

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I think they mean to say "air gun". In Surin, I saw the locals use this to take out chickens. It fires a ball bearing type of shot, and it usually DIY built.

Not necessarily.....

https://www.tacticalairsoftshop.co.uk/Tactical-Airsoft-Shop-airsoft-guns,-rifles,-pistols,-sniper-rifles/Gas-Pistols/

When the brain pops for some reason at all, it can cause devastating events.

Addiction is one of it.

Some years ago, Thailand, father had argue with son in law, killed him AND his daughter.

Putin thinks he has to make war. Ping as well, wait for it. You could call it power addiction.

A whole country is manipulated and dominated by one guy, Kim and the ones before him.

Myanmar, Belarus, Syria and many others.

When the brain pops.