Train from Pattaya to Chiang Mai

ed79

Hi all, I'm planning my relocation from Pattaya to Chiang Mai around the end of October.

Due to the amount of luggage I'll have (3 bags total) I'm planning on getting the overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.  On my first visit to Thailand nearly 6 years ago I did the same journey in 2nd class and I think it should be quite nostalgic to do the trip again.

Couple of questions:-

1) I'll be booking a taxi from Pattaya to the Bangkok.  Should I book for Hua Lamphong or Bang Sue?  I'll be getting the 18.10 departure so will be traveling up there mid afternoon with regards to traffic.

2) I want to book 1st class for privacy and due to amount of luggage.  Do I have to book 2x first class tickets to ensure I don't get some random stranger sharing the cabin with me?

3) How far in advance can I book?  I've read 1st class sells out quickly.

Thanks!

If you have someone that can pick them up, you might consider sending the 3 big bags by either the post office or by bus from Pattaya to Chiangmai.  Then have your worry free, baggage free trip from Pattaya to Hua Lumpong and then the  nostalgic train ride..... OR.... have a friend in Pattaya ship them after you are here and estalished in Chiangmai.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cnx1204 said:

If you have someone that can pick them up, you might consider sending the 3 big bags by either the post office or by bus from Pattaya to Chiangmai.  Then have your worry free, baggage free trip from Pattaya to Hua Lumpong and then the  nostalgic train ride..... OR.... have a friend in Pattaya ship them after you are here and established in Chiangmai.

Thanks, the bags shouldn't be a major problem.  2 suitcases and a carry on, but total weight probably 40 kg which I expect would add a lot to any domestic flight ticket.

Looking at the pictures of 1st class on the train they'll be plenty of room for them in the cabin.  Should just be a case of wheeling them through the station, up the platform and onto the train.

50 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Pattaya not for u?

I arrived here Oct last year with a plan of spending a year in Thailand.  I'd always wanted to see Pattaya so did ASQ here rather than Bangkok then planned to stay on for a month or 2 before heading back to Chiang Mai.

But I found a good condo for a great price what with covid etc so took out a 1 year lease.

CM vs Pattaya, I think they're pros & cons to both.  But what I hadn't realised from youtube vids was how errrr, "run down" Pattaya looks and I'm being polite here.  Obviously not helped by all the roadworks going on now.

8 minutes ago, ed79 said:

I arrived here Oct last year with a plan of spending a year in Thailand.  I'd always wanted to see Pattaya so did ASQ here rather than Bangkok then planned to stay on for a month or 2 before heading back to Chiang Mai.

But I found a good condo for a great price what with covid etc so took out a 1 year lease.

CM vs Pattaya, I think they're pros & cons to both.  But what I hadn't realised from youtube vids was how errrr, "run down" Pattaya looks and I'm being polite here.  Obviously not helped by all the roadworks going on now.

Folks more friendly in cm

3 hours ago, Almudena said:

The Monday to Friday train service that leaves Pattaya around 2pm connects with the night sleeper service train to Chiang Mai in Bangkok with plenty of time to spare.  You can buy tickets to any destination in Thailand in advance at any staffed station in Thailand.  The fare to Bangkok is 31Baht and the night train to Chiang Mai with a bed is around 1000Baht.  It's recommended to buy the sleeper train ticket in advance as those trains tend to sell out quickly.  

You may think that the Pattaya to Bangkok train train takes around 4 hours, however it's saves faffaling about with taxis etc as the train will take you directly into Bangkok Hualapong station.  Plus the it's nice scenery from the train, take as much luggage as you want.  Much better than the bus, but being a train buff myself, I may be a bit biased. 

Thanks, I was actually considering a train Pattaya to Bangkok, but didn't want to make my first post too complicated!  Does the Pattaya train terminate at Hua Lamphong do you know?

I wasn't sure as while a train would be cheaper I understand it takes 3-4 hours and it may be nicer to pay the 1000 or so baht for 1.5 hours in a pre-booked car.

Sadly if booked through 12go.asia it looks like it'll be 1,900 baht BK > CM 1st class and I'll probably need to buy 2 tickets as the thought of sharing an enclosed cabin with a stranger for 12+ hours is not my idea of 1st class.  But I know this is Thailand ????

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2022 at 11:11 PM, Almudena said:

There's no need to book through 12go.asia as it's safer to book the Chiang Mai train directly at the station in Pattaya.  The fare for a 1st class cabin for solo occupancy is 1953Baht and as there is only about 12 rooms on the train, you will need to book well in advance.  The station master at Pattaya station speaks English and is very helpful.  The trains at the moment still terminate a Hua Lamphong as it hasn't closed down yet.  The views from the line though the rural countryside to Bangkok are pleasant and nice.  The train itself is quiet up until Chachoengsao where it's gets crowded with students that all get off within half hour down the line.  

Thanks @Almudena, do you think taking 2 mid-sized suitcases and a backpack would take up too much space on the train (Patts to Bangkok) ?

• 2 weeks later...