Samui Airport

flow domestic the other day. from the new termial. i must admit. all thoug i do not bangkok airways. they have done a good job on the new terminal.

the departed lounge makes it a pleasure to wait for your plane. the toilets are in very good condition.

they have wireless in the lounges and good sofa's

i was worried i would fall asleep and miss my flight.

they might not be cheap but they have spent there profit well. just my opinum. dunno what other peoples take is on it,

though i was confused at first where to park my car. sure that will all be sortes in the future.

flow domestic the other day. from the new termial. i must admit. all thoug i do not bangkok airways. they have done a good job on the new terminal.

the departed lounge makes it a pleasure to wait for your plane. the toilets are in very good condition.

they have wireless in the lounges and good sofa's

i was worried i would fall asleep and miss my flight.

they might not be cheap but they have spent there profit well. just my opinum. dunno what other peoples take is on it,

though i was confused at first where to park my car. sure that will all be sortes in the future.

I disagree whoever designed it has obviously never been on holiday before or flown with children.

On departure you check-in then walk about 50 metres and have to get into a shuttle tram which goes every 10 minutes to the gates, you then have to get a second shuttle tram to the plane.

Arrivals is worse. The usual shuttle collects you from the plane and takes you to the arrivals hall where there are plenty of trolleys to collect your luggage. You then load your trolley up and walk 20 metres and have to unload the whole trolley into another shuttle which then takes you to a meeting 'sala' where there are no trolleys.

I cannot re-call another airport in the world where you have this crazy system and bearing in mind it is mainly tourists with lots of luggage using Samui airport it looks like the lunatices have taken over the asylum!

they opened it but its not finished yet.

when compleated. pick up will be from the arrival lounge and not the meeting salla.

when compleated the check in will be conected to the gates by a walk way surrounded by lily pools.

in the meeting salla there is a mock up of the airport posted on one of the walls.

I think they did a great job.

Highdiver

I agree - they did a great job. However, ther is certainly something about the old 'sala' that was extremely endearing. Both new and old are very nice, but the old sala - it kind of warmed you up for the island. Shame its gone.

SKO

its not gone. from what i undesrtand it will remain the international gateway.

i agree with you aout it having a very soft spot in the heart. :o

yes must admit iw as proper confused first time i went there. depature arrivels old termianl new termial. suppose it will be sorte out. good or bad when it is finished.

i hope it turns out good. for first climps for foreign investers. thailand need forang investors badly. now more than ever. my mate had a warning sign on his pass port for going to penang too many times and apply for too many tourist visa's back to back. saying that he might be refused on his next one.

not only they stopped border bounces but they seem to be limiting tourist visa which are aplllied at the embassies.

madness. hopefully will be sorted soon. this country needs a proper P.M and quick before it is too late

when compleated. pick up will be from the arrival lounge and not the meeting salla.

when compleated the check in will be conected to the gates by a walk way surrounded by lily pools.

in the meeting salla there is a mock up of the airport posted on one of the walls.

If that is the case then I agree lets wait and see. What I don't understand then why the rush to open it when it is not complete I can understand them wanting a soft opening i.e. not August but why not finish it properly and open in September. Bearing in mind the debacle with the new airport in Bangkok I really do not understand their business logic and I suppose never will. :o

If that is the case then I agree lets wait and see. What I don't understand then why the rush to open it when it is not complete I can understand them wanting a soft opening i.e. not August but why not finish it properly and open in September. Bearing in mind the debacle with the new airport in Bangkok I really do not understand their business logic and I suppose never will. :o

Maybe that's what they mean by soft opening.Low season,iron out some probs without too much inconvenience.

i agree with stickkettle... i like the new one, it's very nice, but i miss the old lounge- something about it was so quaint and cozy.

by the way- when i flew back in last time i noticed there was no longer a counter for taxis. before i used to pay 150b for a minibus from the airport to the pier in mae nam (to get the boat to KPG)... i had to take a moto taxi this time, which i hate. does anyone know if there are plans to set up airport taxi services again, and if so, where? thx

Edited by girlx

i agree with stickkettle... i like the new one, it's very nice, but i miss the old lounge- something about it was so quaint and cozy.

by the way- when i flew back in last time i noticed there was no longer a counter for taxis. before i used to pay 150b for a minibus from the airport to the pier in mae nam (to get the boat to KPG)... i had to take a moto taxi this time, which i hate. does anyone know if there are plans to set up airport taxi services again, and if so, where? thx

Came in yesterday,counter there now.

Maybe that's what they mean by soft opening.Low season,iron out some probs without too much inconvenience.

There is more then one low season on samui why not wait until September October November low season to iron out the problems instead of opening up yet another unfinished airport in Thailand lets hope we don't have cracks on the runways!

If there are any problems to solve, surely it's better to sort them out earlier rather than later.

At least people can now see what their departure tax has been spent on.

I am not a big fan of Bangkok Airways, but I hope that they don't have too many problems with the terminals.

If there are any problems to solve, surely it's better to sort them out earlier rather than later.

I am not a big fan of Bangkok Airways, but I hope that they don't have too many problems with the terminals.

So basically what yoiu are saying it is a good idea to open an unfinished airport ?

Maybe someone should tell Singapore that or Heathrow terminal 5 that they have got it wrong because stupid them they are actually finsihing there terminals before opening them. :o

So basically what yoiu are saying it is a good idea to open an unfinished airport ?

Maybe someone should tell Singapore that or Heathrow terminal 5 that they have got it wrong because stupid them they are actually finsihing there terminals before opening them. :o

I’m not saying that at all.

What I am saying is that opening sections/areas gradually to the public will enable them to be put to the test. Should any problems arise they can hopefully be rectified.

Maybe they should just close the whole airport and wait till everything is finished.

If the opening of the new terminals had been left till all the work was complete, someone no doubt would have a moan about it.

I will happily bet a tenner that T5 at LHR will have propblems when it opens.

I'm not saying that at all.

What I am saying is that opening sections/areas gradually to the public will enable them to be put to the test. Should any problems arise they can hopefully be rectified.

Maybe they should just close the whole airport and wait till everything is finished.

If the opening of the new terminals had been left till all the work was complete, someone no doubt would have a moan about it.

But T5 will be finished when it is opened as will Singapore. Lets get this into prospective here we are not talking about the opening of the new HK airport (something that did not happen until it was finshed) we are talking about the opening of a new terminal in a small airport on a tropical island if they cannot get that right then maybe they should not be flying planes. It is not rocket science!

I'm not saying that at all.

But T5 will be finished when it is opened as will Singapore. Lets get this into prospective here we are not talking about the opening of the new HK airport (something that did not happen until it was finshed) we are talking about the opening of a new terminal in a small airport on a tropical island if they cannot get that right then maybe they should not be flying planes. It is not rocket science!

Why the big surprise? Look at the New Bangkok Airport.

T.I.T.

Used the new Airport twice and thought it was great, the incomplete terminals are not required yet. The waling distance is minimal try getting from Terminal 1 to 3 at Heathrow.

At least Bangkok Airways have put some of their dodgey departure tax back into Samui.

:o

i think it is amazing. i have never seen an airport like it. would like the wirless internet to be more usfull thoug. i did notice alot of power plug sockets but i could not connect to the web.

i got there 3 hrs early becuase that wa the only time my mate could give me a lift. i naturall fell asleep in the lounge. goo job i woke up in time to cach my flight.

i wonder if they are beafing it up becuase of rumers of the govemnt airport being built in Koh Phangyan.

who knows who cares. i just go with the cheapest air line at the end of the day. dapart lounges are nice but truth be told i just want to get from A- B a.s.a.p as cheap as possible without any game playing and lost luggage

• 2 weeks later...
i think it is amazing. i have never seen an airport like it. would like the wirless internet to be more usfull thoug. i did notice alot of power plug sockets but i could not connect to the web.

i got there 3 hrs early becuase that wa the only time my mate could give me a lift. i naturall fell asleep in the lounge. goo job i woke up in time to cach my flight.

i wonder if they are beafing it up becuase of rumers of the govemnt airport being built in Koh Phangyan.

who knows who cares. i just go with the cheapest air line at the end of the day. dapart lounges are nice but truth be told i just want to get from A- B a.s.a.p as cheap as possible without any game playing and lost luggage

fiying out next week ,i cant seem to work out if i leave my car at departures when i come back the arrivals is a long way from depaetures ,how do i get there other than a taxi ? last month when they changed airports my car was at the old airport and i was at the new one ,when i ask the staff at the airport they just said so ,get a taxi ,not 1 would take me for less than 300b ,complained at the chaweng office but they said next time dont leave your car ,as i travel 1st and last flight difficult to ask a freind to take me .....

AVIATION / LOW-SEASON COMPETITION

Bangkok Airways slashes fares to fend off budget rivals

BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA

Low-season fare discounting is intensifying as the full-service airline Bangkok Airways has begun to offer ticket prices that may make no-frills carriers look a tad expensive. The airline has slashed ticket prices on eleven selected routes, three of them domestic, by as much as 60% to stimulate traffic demand during July and August.

For instance, a round-trip ticket, including fuel surcharges and taxes, on Bangkok Airways' Bangkok-Chiang Mai flight goes for only 2,020 baht, compared to the normal level of 5,200 baht.

Bangkok Airways is not offering heavily discounted fares for its lucrative route to Koh Samui, a popular destination for European sunbathers.

:o:D :

Rest of the article here http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/14Jul2007_biz40.php

Bangkok Airways is not offering heavily discounted fares for its lucrative route to Koh Samui, a popular destination for European sunbathers.

:D :D :

No suprise there really.

Not :o silly are we?

:D:D :

No suprise there really.

Not :o silly are we?

not going to cut the price to samui ,there the only ones ,if and when another fight/airport is on offer watch them give away flights to send the competion skint :D

• 1 month later...