What are these footprints?

Not so much a pet question, more an animal question. What would leave these footprints on the wall? About 30~40mm long under a window (with an easily climbable cage on).

We're in SamutPrakan and stepson reckons it's a Water Monitor, if so it's probably what we hear sometimes scuttling about in the roof space, sounds like we may need to find a snake/reptile remover!

Seems believable as when I was here in January I saw a 3 metre long Water Monitor lazily swimming up the khlong alongside the Sukhumvit Road near Robinson.

TIA Andrew

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

If something is scuttling about in the roof space it's most

likely tree rats ,they like to go there in the rainy season, 

and maybe a monitor is trying to get up there for a meal.

We had pigeons nesting on on the little roof over the door next to where the footprints are, gone now and access blocked off with some netting. What we heard last night subjectively sounded heavier than a squirrel...... Also I've never seen squirrels in the mango tree or around here, we had Tokae geckos before but haven't heard them for a few years.

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Big 'ucking rats!     Do rats generally climb up walls?

Allegedly a ~1 Metre Water Monitor has been seen around here...... Don't know if they climb walls like that though? I know Geckos have sticky feet but they seem bigger than any Gecko I've seen and I haven't heard any Tokae geckos since family got rid of them a while ago.

45 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Someone with a marker pen and a sense of humour?

Have you not had a look in the roof space?

Yeah, had a little look by lifting a suspended ceilng tile in the bathroom but couldn't see anything. I'm nowhere near fit enough or small enough to go crawling about up there! It's certainly accessible because the TV antenna installers have been up there to run a couple of cables across.

I wish I'd bought an infrared wildlife camera with me from the UK to stick up there for a few days, might have to go and have a look in Pantip Plaza or Fortune Town and see if there's anything available.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

If something is scuttling about in the roof space it's most

likely tree rats ,they like to go there in the rainy season, 

and maybe a monitor is trying to get up there for a meal.

regards Worgeordie

...followed by a croc..followed by a buffalo.

46 minutes ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

Yeah, had a little look by lifting a suspended ceilng tile in the bathroom but couldn't see anything. I'm nowhere near fit enough or small enough to go crawling about up there! It's certainly accessible because the TV antenna installers have been up there to run a couple of cables across.

I wish I'd bought an infrared wildlife camera with me from the UK to stick up there for a few days, might have to go and have a look in Pantip Plaza or Fortune Town and see if there's anything available.

What about this one...........

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.1.11257f6dX8tyUm&q=infra red cameras&_keyori=ss&from=search_history&sugg=infra red cameras_0_1

I would bet a fair amount of money that these are the footprints of a tokay gecko.  You can see the thicker pad marks in the photo.  Not many creatures can climb a flat wall -- water monitors certainly cannot do that.  The latter can climb trees, but don't have the adhesion required to climb a flat surface.

Tokays also love running around in the roof space and in my experience the sound they make doing so is much louder than you might expect from their size -- but males can run to at least 40cm long and be pretty heavy.

We have them frequently in the roof space of our villa (and in the ground floor ceiling too).  But they don't always stay around very long for some reason.

Beautiful creatures anyway

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, VirgoSG said:

I would bet a fair amount of money that these are the footprints of a tokay gecko.  You can see the thicker pad marks in the photo.  Not many creatures can climb a flat wall -- water monitors certainly cannot do that.  The latter can climb trees, but don't have the adhesion required to climb a flat surface.

Tokays also love running around in the roof space and in my experience the sound they make doing so is much louder than you might expect from their size -- but males can run to at least 40cm long and be pretty heavy.

We have them frequently in the roof space of our villa (and in the ground floor ceiling too).  But they don't always stay around very long for some reason.

Beautiful creatures anyway

I agree that it's likely to be the footprints of a gecko, but it's odd that we haven't heard them out and about. The Tokaes we had before were around 300mm long but these prints belong to something a good deal larger.

When we had Tokae geckos on the other side of the house before we would regularly hear them doing their unique call but the resident family members got rid of them and I haven't heard them for several years.