residency certificate for a bank account ?

I went to a visa agent to get a residency certificate for a bank account as the SCB asked for one to open  a account called JAD-TEM account,  the Visa Agent said they don't do this for a bank account just for driving licence or new car or motorbike in your name.  I don't want to go to immigration to ask them as there is alway a long wait outside so I will ask on this forum if what the visa agent has said is true?. 

Regards 

Scotsman    

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, scotsman said:

the Visa Agent said they don't do this for a bank account just for driving licence or new car or motorbike in your name.  I don't want to go to immigration to ask them as there is alway a long wait outside so I will ask on this forum if what the visa agent has said is true?. 

Why would he lie to you about something that he could get paid for?  

Can't you get one from your embassy?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

19 minutes ago, scotsman said:

I went to a visa agent to get a residency certificate for a bank account as the SCB asked for one to open  a account called JAD-TEM account,  the Visa Agent said they don't do this for a bank account just for driving licence or new car or motorbike in your name.  I don't want to go to immigration to ask them as there is alway a long wait outside so I will ask on this forum if what the visa agent has said is true?. 

Seems like something was lost in translation...

- Could they have misunderstood and interpreted that you wanted them to assist with opening a Bank Account... there response being that they can only help with obtaining driving licence or vehicle registration ?

• Like 1

Why not follow the rules. If SCB are asking for one then why not provide it, could alternatively get one from the embassy.

Would that mean if you were able to open an account without a residency certificate then the account and its savings up to 1 million baht might not be protected under govt protection scheme as it could be considered an account held by a non resident?

To open a jad tem account from scb website:

Document Required

Identity Verification

ID card (A foreigner using a passport and work permit), or a government official card, or a State Enterprise Employee Card

Specific Terms and Conditions for Opening the Jad-Tem Account
1 The Applicant shall be an individual and have residence in Thailand.

Edited by userabcd

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He wants an SCB Jad-Tem account.

Many agents would not necessarily deal with SCB.

The location part of was question was related to him obtaining residence certificate himself.

Regarding embassies providing equivalent (mentioned by another poster) some do not. One example is AU embassy 

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Why not follow the rules. If SCB are asking for one then why not provide it.

If he deals with CW then for residence certificate they require you to have done 90 day report.

Not possible for some hence use of agent.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Would that mean if you were able to open an account without a residency certificate then the account and its savings up to 1 million baht might not be protected under govt protection scheme as it could be considered an account held by a non resident?

No, definitely not, unless he specifically opened a Non-Resident Account which are predominantly for foreign currency deposits.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

doesn't the OP, or his agent, just check the check the "DRIVING LICENSE (CAR/MOTORBIKE)" box?

I'm pretty sure I've read on here before that the residence certificate is a generic document and doesn't state the purpose for which it will be used. if course I can't find the previous thread.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

doesn't the OP, or his agent, just check the check the "DRIVING LICENSE (CAR/MOTORBIKE)" box?

I'm pretty sure I've read on here before that the residence certificate is a generic document and doesn't state the purpose for which it will be used. if course I can't find the previous thread.

Wait a min. I am confused, I thought the residence cert is to open a bank account and not a driving licence.

Edited by EricTh

37 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

The application form (TM18) does not have bank account as an option. This is a recent requirement - certainly from SCB and Kasikorn.

Jomtien Immigration asked me for the purpose and I said for opening a Kasikorn account.

I think that they addressed the certificate to Kasikorn.

• Like 1

Hi  thank you for all your replies just to give you more info my visa agent understands and speaks good english and knows what I am asking.  I am living in Pattaya so its Chonburi immigration with the long queues.  My embassy is going to cost way to much to get this so that is a no.  I have 3 bank accounts 2 with Bangkok bank and one with SCB I was never asked for a residency certificate in the 20 years I have lived here so this is a first for me. The JAD-TEM account does ask for this information and a work permit but the lady in SCB only asked me for the certificate I want to transfer my 800k into this account to get a better % rate. 

I asked my visa agent if we could just get one for a driving license as I got one not long ago. I was told that the document form would ask about my old driving licence so it would not be possible.  If no one knows if I can get one just to open this kind of account then I will just have to bite the bullet and go to immigration to find out.    

Regards

Scotsman 

38 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Wait a min. I am confused, I thought the residence cert is to open a bank account and not a driving licence.

For residence certificate it has simple form with tick box options.

One is for car driving license one for buy a car or similar.

There is not box for bank account.....

Doesn't matter. The letter does not include what it's for.

Just tick car license 

Edited by DrJack54

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For residence certificate it has simple form with tick box options.

One is for car driving license one for buy a car or similar.

There is not box for bank account.....

Doesn't matter. The letter does not include what it's for.

Just tick car license 

I remember there is one column called 'other reasons' where we write the reason.

5 minutes ago, scotsman said:

I will just have to bite the bullet and go to immigration to find out. 

Recently a post from someone that just obtained a residence certificate from Jomtien immigration in order to open bank account with Kasikorn. 

Has non O and extensions and bank accounts. 

Previously never required residence certificate however now does. 

23 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

The application form (TM18) does not have bank account as an option. This is a recent requirement - certainly from SCB and Kasikorn.

A TM18 is for those that have permanent residence.

The is no number on the form to apply for a certificate of residence. 

Download: Application For Certificate Of Residency48.26 kB · 1727 downloads

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Padthaigoong said:

How long does the Certificate of Residency remain valid for ?

For my driving license valid 1 month, the certificate did not state a valid time, but the license department said 1 month from issue, wonder what the bank will say

• Like 1

What is your problem? Yes you need a proof of residence to open a bankaccount, also in your home country.

Very easy: you go to the city hall of the town you are living. Here you can register you and it is for FREE. They can provide you that required document what can be used for driving license, bankaccount .... I opened my bankaccount at SCB bank this way without any problem.

In fact: the same way as you have to do in your home country.

I once wanted to open a foreign currency account with Bangkok bank so I went to my branch where other accounts opened and asked. They told me what I needed, one of which was lease agreement but no Residency Certificate. Gathered that and went back to branch and was then told I cant open that type of account at that branch and had to goto another. Did that and presented all paperwork and was told I needed a Residency Certificate. I told them other branch told me I didn't need, the lease agreement was ok. No, this branch didn't accept so I politely told them where to put their account.

45 minutes ago, Henryford said:

What's the problem going to immigration? If you don't go after a holiday you will be in and out in an hour. You want to throw away thousands of baht on an agent?

Depends on the immigration office and how fast you want it. Last time I wanted one here in Chiang Mai, the free version took over a month to get it but could get next day for a fee which I think was 500.

Just to update everyone my visa agent is wrong you can get a residency certificate for a bank account as I have just been to immigration to apply for one.  I did not tick any of the boxes on the form so the lady asked me what i needed it for and the name of the Bank, so I pick it up tomorrow.  Cost 300 baht so thank you all for your help.

Regards 

Scotsman

Edited by scotsman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

What's the problem going to immigration? If you don't go after a holiday you will be in and out in an hour. You want to throw away thousands of baht on an agent?

not everyone is short of a bob and not everyone likes the clientele that frequent immigration offices. ie. dour Europeans in cargo shorts and flip flops.