"onwardflight"

First time during my 3-year's stay of extensions I was asked to show a flight ticket to get an extension, and luckily yesterday I found someone's post regarding Onwardflight.com that I successfully used, however, I paid $16 for a "direct flight", although that exact flight cost $5 now at a discount on the main company's webpage. ???? Anyway, was just happy to get my final extension. ???? And yes, it's a perfectly legit flight reservation.

Edited by JaydenL

this email came from Thai Visa Centre

But we can't guarantee anything as it would all depend on immigration. If they require a purchased flight ticket with an e-ticket number, then our flight reservation won't be accepted.

It all depends on how immigration feels

10 hours ago, JaydenL said:

First time during my 3-year's stay of extensions I was asked to show a flight ticket to get an extension, and luckily yesterday I found someone's post regarding Onwardflight.com that I successfully used, however, I paid $16 for a "direct flight", although that exact flight cost $5 now at a discount on the main company's webpage. ???? Anyway, was just happy to get my final extension. ???? And yes, it's a perfectly legit flight reservation.

Those extremely low promotional fares exclude the taxes. When you later cancel the ticket, it is possible to claim back the taxes that are added when you paid, but it can be a real palaver.

I booked a $16 onward ticket the day before my flight departed.  Within ten minutes was able to log into the airline website using the reservation code to confirm the booking.

Flew into Thailand in July via Hong Kong.  The ticketing agent wanted to see an onward flight to issue boarding passes.  The agent logged onto the airline reservation system to confirm the flight was legitimate.

Immigration was not interested in an onward flight, just stamped a 30-day visa waiver in my passport.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

did it last trip during thai pass era....no one asked to see it....

pointless comment. as has been stated many, many times before on here it depends on the airport and perhaps even the individual check-in staff.  

it was most definitely a requirement when I came in on TG476 ex-SYD recently.

in fact they had a Thai lady walking the queue pre-checking that everyone had the required documents. at least one person wasn't aware of the onward ticket rule and had to go off somewhere to rectify. I had come prepared with my twelve dollah "onwardflight" and of course had no such problems.

13 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

did it last trip during thai pass era....no one asked to see it....

Congratulations.... Your anecdote is differs from the requirements.... 

OP: Do not pay attention to any fool who uses the ‘seat-belt logic’.... as in, I never wore a seat-belt and I’ve always been fine !!!....    I think you get my point. 

The entry requirements are fixed: IF entering without a Visa you need to be able to present proof of onward travel, you also need to be able to present proof of funds (10,000 baht currency equivalent for a single traveler if I’m not mistaken). 

That the requirements are not always checked by no means indicates there is no requirement. 

The ONLY intelligent advice you will receive on this subject is to meet the requirement, you are otherwise simply taking a chance. 

33 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

pointless comment. as has been stated many, many times before on here it depends on the airport and perhaps even the individual check-in staff.  

it was most definitely a requirement when I came in on TG476 ex-SYD recently.

in fact they had a Thai lady walking the queue pre-checking that everyone had the required documents. at least one person wasn't aware of the onward ticket rule and had to go off somewhere to rectify. I had come prepared with my twelve dollah "onwardflight" and of course had no such problems.

I am nearly always travelling into Thailand on the return portion of a return ticket - my Visa is nearly always asked for by the Check-in Staff....  Without that, they’d want to see onward travel. 

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That the requirements are not always checked by no means indicates there is no requirement

Oh please. 

Having funds on your person and onward flight is virtually never required by immigration upon arrival. 

The requirement for onward flight is all down to the airline at departure. 

If flying without a visa or reentry permit then an onward flight MAY be required by airline to issue boarding pass. 

Edited by DrJack54

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

Those extremely low promotional fares exclude the taxes. When you later cancel the ticket, it is possible to claim back the taxes that are added when you paid, but it can be a real palaver.

Ah, got it, thanks for letting me know, then it's all perfect. ????

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Oh please. 

Having funds on your person and onward flight is virtually never required by immigration upon arrival. 

Virtually never required... So not ALWAYS never required then... So, showing proof of funds ‘is sometimes’ (rarely) required...   I’m virtually never in a car accident, yet I still wear a seatbelt just in case it happens. 

There are stories of immigration taking a dislike to someone and asking for proof (usually this is repeat visitors on tourist visas or visa exempt entries who immigration suspect of working or don’t like for some reason - its usually people from Vietnam, Myanmar, South Korean, India, Africa etc) 

Its never happened to me or anyone I know and it is extremely unlikely, yet it has happened and there are stories of such on this forum and others of Westerners encountering this issue.

It's a lot safer to know the requirements and meet them just incase, its that simple. 

The requirement for onward flight is all down to the airline at departure. 

Agreed - The carrier is responsible for return / onward travel IF the passengers is rejected entry to Thailand. Thus this is an Airline requirement based on Immigration regulations which is why the *Airline check-in staff check for Visa or an onward flight upon boarding at the departing country. 

(*most airlines will check most of the time, although some check-in staff will be lazy, untrained, or may easily see the visa in the passport and the passenger thinks they didn’t check). 

If flying without a visa or reentry permit then an onward flight MAY be required by airline to issue boarding pass. 

Agreed - IF the airline is prepared to take responsibility for onward / return travel if the passenger is rejected by Immigration upon arrival in Thailand they MAY not check, or if the staff forget, are untrained etc... 

It is reportedly by some forum members that the Visa or onward flight is not checked at all, but for others (myself included) this requirement [Visa or onward flight] is checked ‘most’ of the time....

I specifically note when this requirement is ‘checked’ because I often have to point out my Visa in my busy passport of numerous Thailand Visa and Visas from other nations.

What would you do ?....  Tell someone to ’take a chance’ or ensure they are covered to avoid disappointment ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1