Travelling to Laos

I have an US Passport on a tourist visa to Thailand. (90-day stay). I want to go to Laos (from Pattaya to Nong Khai and then crossing the river to Laos, Vientiane). What type of visa do I need? How to apply? What is the best way to plan a trip. Any hotel suggestions. Please advise.

Edited by Onerak

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to go to Laos, but would prefer to fly from Bangkok to Vientiane.

Seems the visa on arrival is now available and also if fully vaccinated then no ATK tests.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/laos/entry-requirements#entry-rules-in-response-to-coronavirus-covid-19

If someone has flown to Laos recently would appreciate some feedback on how it all went.

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Isnt the "next day" two days ?

Like, today and tomorrow ?

I took a screenshot of what I found on their website. I underlined it in gold.

laos.png

Edited by Helios

5 minutes ago, Helios said:

I took a screenshot of what I found on their website. I underlined it in gold.

laos.png

Isnt that if you hand in your application in the afternoon and thus it gets treated  to a following day application  ?

If you hand your application in in the morning , it should be ready the following day .

33 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Isnt that if you hand in your application in the afternoon and thus it gets treated  to a following day application  ?

If you hand your application in in the morning , it should be ready the following day .

Good question. I just don't know how the rules have changed since pre-covid times. It's really hard for me to find the correction information, but Penang, Malaysia did change theirs to 2 days too, so I'm thinking the same goes for Vientiane now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Vientiane. Flew there and showed my yellow vaccine book at check-in but didn't ask first whether if it was required to fly.

On arrival at Vientiane airport there was nothing asked or required regarding any covid vaccines.

Off topic, but sadly the very convenient airport bus appears to have died along with covid-19.

On return to Thailand, they did ask for the vaccine passort and upon showing it, I got a very nice little sticker placed on my passport.