Chiang Khong border crossing

Maybole

I may soon have to do a border crossing to reset my visa status. I have been advised that the nearest open is at Chiang Khong,This is a 4 1/2 hour drive each way, just possible in one day.  (I live between Hang Dong and Sanpatong).

Since I have never done one before, I have a few questions, please forgive my ignorance.

How long would I need to spend in Laos before returning to Thailand, can it be a few hours or is there a minimum stay outside Thailand before returning?

Is there parking available near the Thai border check?

Alternatively, there is a twice daily bus to Chiang Khong from the Arcade bus station but the schedule makes it impossible to return the same day, is it better to stay on the Lao side or in Chiang Khong?

I presume there are Tuktuks available on both sides, but what would be a reasonable fare to and from Friendship bridge 4 on each side?

I have been advised that most Laotian prefer to deal in USD, is this correct?

I may have further questions as the thread progresses.

13 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

"braking", not breaking. You don't know how fast the motorbike was going, do you? A modern vehicle is built so flimsily using mostly plastic, this sheet metal,  and very little reinforcement that a front end of a car just about explodes upon any serious impact. At the posted speed limit a motorbike is heavy enough to become a deadly projectile if it hits head on. This is not a fender bender event. Why would you want to shift blame to the driver? 

All vehicles are designed with a "crumple Zone" front and rear which is intended to collapse when struck, thus absorbing part of the impact and reducing injury. This can result in apparent major damage.

• Confused 3

CK is a bit of a one horse town, but if you go to/stay at the Fortuna Hotel – which has a carpark available to leave vehicles – they run a shuttle tuk tuk to the bridge and beyond to Laos Immigration;  I recall low denomination USD bills are needed.  Can’t advise as to the time required over there, though - sorry.

• Like 1