The Notting Hill Gate Carnival in London hosts over a million people in two days

I just left living in The Blue Ridge Mountains and the Dead-like jam band thing is still the predominate taste there -and that means when it's festival time, a mixed race (booo) reggae band will be on the bill too.

The reggae flavor of choice is heavily apolitical and def broad stroke feel good rasta instead of nyahbinghi, but 20 year old people there still buy Bob's greatest hits and possibly a tee shirt too. He's perennial counter culture now the way that tie dye is.

That dead in Jamaica show was part of an ill fated rock festival that about 200 people showed up for. Other deranged bills were like, Aretha Franklin,  Black Uhuru, Skeeter Davis, and The Clash. I wish they had that kind of cross-audience booking these days.

Another beloved cross-booking example was John Cooper Clark opening for The Rock Pile -and standing his ground under a hail of bottles. New York is brutal for brits without radio play.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I just left living in The Blue Ridge Mountains and the Dead-like jam band thing is still the predominate taste there -and that means when when it's festival time, a mixed race (booo) reggae band will be on the bill too.

The reggae flavor of choice is heavily apolitical and def broad stroke feel good rasta instead of nyahbinghi, but 20 year old people there still buy Bob's greatest hits and possibly a tee shirt too. He's perennial counter culture now the way that tie dye is.

That dead in Jamaica show was part of an ill fated rock festival that about 200 people showed up for. Other deranged bills were like, Aretha Franklin,  Black Uhuru, Skeeter Davis, and The Clash. I wish they had that kind of cross-audience booking these days.

Another beloved cross-booking example was John Cooper Clark opening for The Rock Pile -and standing his ground under a hail of bottles. New York is brutal for brits without radio play.

I know JCC saw him  loads of times in Manchester..Love him..saw him with LKJ 

BUT MANCHESTER was rich for good music...magazine, joy division,  slaughter and the dogs jcc, new order, the nosebleeds, Eddie edbanger, the snivling <deleted>s, missed the smiths but used to take acid with the drummers brother,  funny enough I can't remember all but before  the hacienda we had the  factory,

Punk went hand in hand with ska then plus we had good, cheap stand up venues....I was very lucky.you have bought back a lot of memories- I saw the reggae bands you mention as part of the RAR and Anti Nazi league but saw toots TOP! with Bob....toots was better

I was blessed...yeah blessed....Pattaya is so dread for  music it's hard work

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

.....You forgot Bernard Manning.

Very good docu on RAR out a couple of years ago (but too much Tom Robinson in it).

Was that the Brasstacks documentary about punk?

Manning had a club in Lancs I think where I saw a cabaret soul  band playing with keyboards player from Heron a 70s folk band. The drummer was Topper Headon before he  changed his name.