Starved Of Reading Material

RealityCheck

Hi.

Can anyone recommend an online source for (preferably) second hand books.

I'm an avid reader, living in Khon Kaen, where obtaining English language novels, etc is very difficult.

I used to visit the second hand book stores in Pattaya, but now that I've moved to Issan, that's impractical, so an online source would be great.

I'm mostly interested in Science Fiction, Mystery, Classics (Dickens, etc), some non-fiction.

Many Thanks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

I'm an avid reader, living in Khon Kaen, where obtaining English language novels, etc is very difficult.

I used to visit the second hand book stores in Pattaya, but now that I've moved to Issan, that's impractical, so an online source would be great.

I'm mostly interested in Science Fiction, Mystery, Classics (Dickens, etc), some non-fiction.

Many Thanks.

check out Dasa online in BKK ... they have a list of instock etc

Hi.

Many Thanks.

I just normally swap paperbacks with my friends. I now have 30 or more that will be swapped whenever I find anyone with an equal number. I prefer fiction, mystery and action books although I usually try to read whatever I happen to pick up. Some that I have already read or can't get interested in just go back to my swap stack. I actually can't remember the last time I bought a book.

google "fictionbook". click on the first site that comes up. the site is in russian but the book contents are english.

I posted the link but then realised Im not allowed to do that

Edited by hotelier

I just normally swap paperbacks with my friends. I now have 30 or more that will be swapped whenever I find anyone with an equal number. I prefer fiction, mystery and action books although I usually try to read whatever I happen to pick up. Some that I have already read or can't get interested in just go back to my swap stack. I actually can't remember the last time I bought a book.

Yep, this is a good way to keep supplied with reading material.

If the OP posts the titles of his current collection, more than likely another ThaiVisa member would be interested in doing a swap. Five to ten books can be mailed without much trouble. He might even find someone in the same town.

mmm... just making me think...

have been undecided as to whether to bring in my stock of books, about 5000, from the UK. Live in Sakaeo now, so not exactly the farang capital of Thailand! But would be interested if there are enough people within driving distance of here then it might be worth it. Sending by mail is also an option as have a good post office here.

rych

I live in Kalasin, which is not too far from Khonkaen. I order my books from Barnes & Noble. They have an immense selection of new and used books, DVD's,games, etc. Books are duty free, so there is no problem with customs. Extremely easy to order and I use Bangkok Bank credit cards. Just last month ordered over US$ 600 worth of books and DVD's.All arrived with no problems.

have been undecided as to whether to bring in my stock of books, about 5000, from the UK. Live in Sakaeo now, so not exactly the farang capital of Thailand! But would be interested if there are enough people within driving distance of here then it might be worth it. Sending by mail is also an option as have a good post office here.

rych

I sold my books before i left the UK.....a BAD mistake....got very little for them.....however, my son collected about 1000 books, and had them shipped over....The cost of shipping is based on volume, not weight...

1000 books was a tad under 1 cubic metre...crating and shipping to BKK cost £200............not a bad price.....however, in BKK...the customs point blank refused to release them unless 15,000 baht was paid.....no receipt, naturally.............we paid!

my son sold the majority of the books, but i have a residue of about 300 which i use for swaps....and lending to mates.

rych

I sold my books before i left the UK.....a BAD mistake....got very little for them.....however, my son collected about 1000 books, and had them shipped over....The cost of shipping is based on volume, not weight...

1000 books was a tad under 1 cubic metre...crating and shipping to BKK cost £200............not a bad price.....however, in BKK...the customs point blank refused to release them unless 15,000 baht was paid.....no receipt, naturally.............we paid!

my son sold the majority of the books, but i have a residue of about 300 which i use for swaps....and lending to mates.

Yes, general books and paperbacks almost worthless in the UK - just too many on the market and also killed by greedy charity shops who get their stock for free anyway. Here in Thailand especially paperbacks are about 3 or 4 times the price in UK.

Will look at the numbers and decide next month

rych

Even though I live in a big city, I don't find a lot of second hand books to my liking in my city, and I read too much to be able to afford all new books. However I have found some some great second hand book stores on Khao San Road. So a few times a year when I go to BKK for one thing or another, I make time to go there, and spend maybe 8000 or 10,000 baht on books, read them and then resell them in my city, and of course there are some books to buy here, as well as some new books I can't help buying now and then, even though I later hate myself for spending so much.

I bought way too much last year in Singapore, then had to pay extra for too much luggage, and didn't even really enjoy most of the books because I shopped too quickly, and my dogs ate some of the covers off so I can't even sell them!!

I've just shipped my second batch of around 1,000 books from the UK, I might have been lucky but both times I paid no tax on the shipments.

Plenty of second-hand bookshops up here in Chiang Mai, Gecko books is the major player with 4 shops around town, not sure if he does books by post.

Even though I live in a big city, I don't find a lot of second hand books to my liking in my city, and I read too much to be able to afford all new books. However I have found some some great second hand book stores on Khao San Road. So a few times a year when I go to BKK for one thing or another, I make time to go there, and spend maybe 8000 or 10,000 baht on books, read them and then resell them in my city, and of course there are some books to buy here, as well as some new books I can't help buying now and then, even though I later hate myself for spending so much.

I bought way too much last year in Singapore, then had to pay extra for too much luggage, and didn't even really enjoy most of the books because I shopped too quickly, and my dogs ate some of the covers off so I can't even sell them!!

But you claim to live in Chiang Mai. It has the best selection of secondhand english bookshops in Thailand, and far superior to the drossy backpacker paperback Tom Clancy bullshit you find in Khao San Road.

Are you for real? No, wait. We already know the answer to that.