500 Gigs To 1 Terabyte External Hard Drives

chevykanteve

The topic title and topic description are self-explanatory. I want to buy some more gear and am checking out the prices. Five-year guarantee Seagate-type-gear would be great, if they're making 500 - 1 Terabyte external hard-drives.

My appreciation, in advance, for your kind input on this matter.

Edited by chevykanteve

As you will see by clicking some of the online shops in the sticky thread above, hard drives like those cost roughly 50% more than the US. Strange too as some of them are made in Thailand! Hmm, someone has gotta be raking in some cash with those kind of markups!

500 Gb drives are between 5000 and 6000 Baht currently. with a Western digital at 5070 Baht (Hardware House Pantip)

Biggest I've seen is 750 Gb for 11,700 Baht (at busitek, Pantip)

Thanks for your input. Any idea what kind of guarantee Western Digital offers on that 500 G drive?

500 Gb drives are between 5000 and 6000 Baht currently. with a Western digital at 5070 Baht (Hardware House Pantip)

Including external enclosure? If so these prices are pretty competitive with the U.S....

Including external enclosure? If so these prices are pretty competitive with the U.S....

Surely you jest. No one pays 5000 baht for just an enclosure! Enclosure costs are nearly nil. Please think before you post or better yet check the sticky links--that's why the mods put them at the top. A 750GB drive is about 70% more expensive in Thailand than the US and 1TB is out of the question at least for now. There was just a news item this week that is pretty interesting however for things to come:

Seagate announces 1 TB hard drives

Scotts Valley (CA) – Following Hitachi and Samsung, Seagate now has announced 1 TB desktop hard drives as well.

The 11th generation barracuda drive, officially called 7200.11, increases the maximum capacity of its predecessor from 750 GB to 1 TB. In terms of storage density, Seagate lands in the middle of the pack, storing 1 TB on a total of four platters (250 GB per platter; 205 Gb/square inch). Hitachi needs five platters to reach 1 TB (144 Gb/square inch), while Samsung needs only three (241 Gb/square inch).

However, Seagate claims that it has the lead in performance as well as operating noise. According to the company, a data transfer speed of 105 MB/s is the fastest ever achieved on a desktop drive; The drive is promised t be virtually silent, running at 2.7 bels idle and at 2.9 bels during seek processes. Power consumption is rated at 8.0 watts when idle and 11.6 watts when active.

Seagate said that the new Barracuda 7200.11 will be shipping in 500 GB, 750 GB and 1 TB capacities in the third quarter of this year. The 1 TB SATA 3 Gb/s version will be priced at $400.

Surely you jest. No one pays 5000 baht for just an enclosure! Enclosure costs are nearly nil. Please think before you post or better yet check the sticky links--that's why the mods put them at the top.

I think you are being unnecessarily harsh there. Nowhere does nikster suggest that the enclosure alone would cost 5000 baht, what he is asking is whether that price is just for the hard drive or for the hard drive plus enclosure.

Good suggestion to think before you post though :o

Sophon

He mentioned *IF* the Thai prices like 11700 is for an external 750 then they are pretty competitive to the US. Internal 750's cost 6700 baht in the US. That implies enclosures cost 5000 baht (11700-6700=5000) which is insane. In the US, buying a drive with enclosure is sometimes even cheaper than just buying the bare drive. Crazy, but true. I sort of thought that post was a windup because if he was really interested he could have just clicked a price link rather than be lazy and post something that didn't make any sense. Sorry if it was harsh, but I just hate to see threads on an information sharing site where people come to learn contain false or misleading information. Especially if it is in regards to something I mentioned earlier in the thread.