Border run option Air or Land

Except that you have to wear a face diaper in Malaysia, and probably during the entire flight to Malaysia.

That's the reason I still haven't booked a flight. Have to either wear a mask to go to Malaysia and/or Vietnam or take a covid test to go to Thailand. I really don't want to do either one of those things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

All requirements were dropped Aug 1.

I will enter Thailand mid-October on tourist visa (hopefully 45 days by then) and extend for 30 days. 

if I want to do a border run by air, how long do I need to stay out of Thailand and what are the chances of being refuse a new tourist visa on arrival? 

looking forward to your response/help on this matter 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DanielFR said:

I will enter Thailand mid-October on tourist visa (hopefully 45 days by then) and extend for 30 days. 

if I want to do a border run by air, how long do I need to stay out of Thailand and what are the chances of being refuse a new tourist visa on arrival? 

It sounds like you will not enter on a tourist visa (which has to be gotten in advance) but rather visa exempt. Two very different things.

If you actually get a Tourist visa you will be stamped in for 60 days and csn extend another 30 for 90 in total. 

If you enter visa exempt in October you will get 45 days and can extend another 30 for  75 days total. Note that coming without a visa, the airline may require proof of onward ticket within 45 days of arrival.  They  won't if you have a visa. 

How long on total do you want to stay?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DanielFR said:

Entry on a tourist visa will still give you 60 days. A visa-on-arrival currently only gives you a 15-day stay, though this is expected to increase to 30 days. Are you referring to a visa exemption? That currently gives a 30-day permission to stay which is expected to increase to 45 days (and can also be extended by a further 30 days at Immigration in Thailand).

In principle, you can do a border bounce for a visa exempt entry without needing to spend time out of Thailand. However, at airports, you risk being denied entry if, in the judgment of the officials, you are using visa exemption to stay longer than is compatible with regular tourism. The risk of this occurring depends on the length of time you have spent in Thailand over the last six to 12 months.

Your safest approach would be to do a border bounce by land (assuming you have not already used two visa exemptions by land in 2022). This is safe at most land borders, the main exception being the rogue entry point at Poipet/Aranyaprathet from Cambodia.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Entry on a tourist visa will still give you 60 days. A visa-on-arrival currently only gives you a 15-day stay, though this is expected to increase to 30 days. Are you referring to a visa exemption? That currently gives a 30-day permission to stay which is expected to increase to 45 days (and can also be extended by a further 30 days at Immigration in Thailand).

In principle, you can do a border bounce for a visa exempt entry without needing to spend time out of Thailand. However, at airports, you risk being denied entry if, in the judgment of the officials, you are using visa exemption to stay longer than is compatible with regular tourism. The risk of this occurring depends on the length of time you have spent in Thailand over the last six to 12 months.

Your safest approach would be to do a border bounce by land (assuming you have not already used two visa exemptions by land in 2022). This is safe at most land borders, the main exception being the rogue entry point at Poipet/Aranyaprathet from Cambodia.

Thank you for your explanation, as I intend to be in Hua Hin, which land border would you recommend as being the easiest/safest to allow re-entry ?

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It sounds like you will not enter on a tourist visa (which has to be gotten in advance) but rather visa exempt. Two very different things.

If you actually get a Tourist visa you will be stamped in for 60 days and csn extend another 30 for 90 in total. 

If you enter visa exempt in October you will get 45 days and can extend another 30 for  75 days total. Note that coming without a visa, the airline may require proof of onward ticket within 45 days of arrival.  They  won't if you have a visa. 

I would like to stay 5-6 months. 

34 minutes ago, DanielFR said:

Thank you for your explanation, as I intend to be in Hua Hin, which land border would you recommend as being the easiest/safest to allow re-entry ?

Unless Myanmar opens soon the nearest would be Cambodia or Malaysia (train from Hua Hin to the border).

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless Myanmar opens soon the nearest would be Cambodia or Malaysia (train from Hua Hin to the border).

Thank you Ubonjoe. It is preferable to stay a few days into the neighboring country ? Before returning to Thailand ? 

4 minutes ago, DanielFR said:

Thank you Ubonjoe. It is preferable to stay a few days into the neighboring country ? Before returning to Thailand ? 

You can cross the border turnaround and come right back. Or if you want to stay overnight.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks Ubonjoe, if I would do a border run and stay one night. Because I have dual citizenship; would it be easier to re-enter Thailand on a different passport? 

5 minutes ago, DanielFR said:

Thanks Ubonjoe, if I would do a border run and stay one night. Because I have dual citizenship; would it be easier to re-enter Thailand on a different passport? 

No.

You have missed the point.

Visa exempt entries via land not an issue 

You don't need to stay overnight.

You don't need to qualify.

The issue is no land borders close to HH.

Kanchanaburi would be option but it's closed. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DanielFR said:

It used to be 24 hours out the country...not always enforced 

Yes ,they could refuse to give you a new visa on arrival.

Best is to get a 60 day tourist visa at the Thai embassy in whichever country you do the visa run.

Edited by VinnieK

5 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Best is to get a 60 day tourist visa at the Thai embassy in whichever country you do the visa run.

That's straight up incorrect.

A border bounce and reenter visa exempt would suit many perfectly.

Especially when from Oct 1 visa exempt increases to 45 days.

Extendable by 30 at immigration. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DanielFR said:

If you do a border run by land, you cannot switch passports.

Why would he have problems with air runs? Land crossing is heavier restricted then by air. 2 times per year and can't have been in the Kingdom for more then 3 of the 6 past months.

Anecdotal evidence confirms that none of my personal friends ever had a trouble with air runs. Just fly to Phnom Penh for a fun weekend.

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Hi do you think I can fly to Malaysia and back on a 1 day trip? First border run since 2019. No vaccine. I don't mind taking the test though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's straight up incorrect.

A border bounce and reenter visa exempt would suit many perfectly.

Especially when from Oct 1 visa exempt increases to 45 days.

Extendable by 30 at immigration. 

Have you done a border bounce in the last decade?

A pain in the neck..(over-zealous officials) at least in my neck of the woods (south)

Considering that the o.p mentioned flying to a nearby country I see no reason why not get a T.V there.

If he is driving to a nearby border, a 'bounce' is in order.

Edited by VinnieK
  • Haha 1