When are you no longer eligible (age wise) to drive in Thailand?

giddyup

12 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm guessing if you can pass the colour and depth perception tests you are OK.

They have made the color test even easier, it's like a small traffic light, and red, yellow, green just come up randomly, and you name the color. I couldn't pass the old color test, I cheated every time. As far as the reaction test, you'd have to be pretty doddery not to pass that, but I have seen some young people take several attempts before they got it right.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, giddyup said:

They have made the color test even easier, it's like a small traffic light, and red, yellow, green just come up randomly, and you name the color. I couldn't pass the old color test, I cheated every time. As far as the reaction test, you'd have to be pretty doddery not to pass that, but I have seen some young people take several attempts before they got it right.

What reaction test? On my third Thai licence, the only thing I have had to do is identify colors.

I would have thought sensible people here determine their own fitness to drive a vehicle.

33 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I am due to renew mine and would appreciate the feedback about the reaction test, how does it works, is it Red Yellow Green or is it Green Yellow Red and stop before Red, 5 years ago did it but can't remember how I got there, thanks

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I am due to renew mine and would appreciate the feedback about the reaction test, how does it works, is it Red Yellow Green or is it Green Yellow Red and stop before Red, 5 years ago did it but can't remember how I got there, thanks

The colors come up randomly, not in the same order as a real traffic light. The reaction test is the brake test, you hit the brake when the light turns from green to red.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What reaction test? On my third Thai licence, the only thing I have had to do is identify colors.

I would have thought sensible people here determine their own fitness to drive a vehicle.

You mean the same way they determine if they're too drunk, tired or competent enough to drive, and are you talking about those licenced, or the thousands of unlicenced drivers out there?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The colors come up randomly, not in the same order as a real traffic light. The reaction test is the brake test, you hit the brake when the light turns from green to red.

thanks, so green then red and hit the brake, how fast it has to be, 5-10 seconds

Just now, Bluetongue said:

I just renewed, there was only colours and peripheral vision. I was not asked to do reaction test  although the equipment was there 

Where was that? There was no perception test in Pattaya when I did mine a couple of weeks ago.

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

4 Physical ability tests are done.  Not sure where you do your testing at.  Here just last week when I renewed my two 5 year licenses, motorcycle and private car, You start with the color test, move to the test where you align the two sticks in the box, braking test, and then the final test the peripheral vision exam.  Had 1 young man fail the brake test.

40 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I guess the tester decides, but yet to see anyone fail.

The Machine used at Chatuchack DLT has green lights and the red lights.  If your to slow and you dont hit the brake pedal fast enough you will end up with it in the red and fail.

35 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You mean the same way they determine if they're too drunk, tired or competent enough to drive, and are you talking about those licenced, or the thousands of unlicenced drivers out there?

I'm talking about people of our age who decide to give up driving because they know their reflexes and vision are not good enough anymore.

I've been driving for over 60 years. I have never had a front-on accident, just T-boning and rear-ending by drunks and incompetents. Can't do much about such situations.

I already have put restrictions on myself. I won't drive at night, and I won't drive any vehicle if I have consumed any alcohol at all.

I will have to give up driving eventually, unless I cark it first. However, as I consider I am more competent than 95% of drivers on Thai roads, and have an accident-free record for over ten years here to prove it, not yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

4 Physical ability tests are done.  Not sure where you do your testing at.  Here just last week when I renewed my two 5 year licenses, motorcycle and private car, You start with the color test, move to the test where you align the two sticks in the box, braking test, and then the final test the peripheral vision exam.  Had 1 young man fail the brake test.

If you read under my nom-de-plume, you can work out where I renewed my five year scooter and car licences about two months ago.

I am not sure I would pass a peripheral vision test. However, as I do not drive at night, and also drive defensively, it does not seem to be a problem.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Machine used at Chatuchack DLT has green lights and the red lights.  If your to slow and you dont hit the brake pedal fast enough you will end up with it in the red and fail.

At Pattaya the tester is the one to determine if you're fast enough, and he's pretty forgiving.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you read under my nom-de-plume, you can work out where I renewed my five year scooter and car licences about two months ago.

I am not sure I would pass a peripheral vision test. However, as I do not drive at night, and also drive defensively, it does not seem to be a problem.

I think the peripheral test was dropped in Pattaya because of Covid, too many people handling the machine.

• Like 1