Narita (Tokyo) airport restaurants still closed?

NorthernRyland

When I traveled through Narita in early July 2 months ago it appeared all the restaurants were still closed the same as they were since 2020 when COVID hit. Does anyone know if they really are totally closed or I simply didn't see any in the wing of the airport I was in? I have a 5 hour layover coming from the US so it would be good to know so I can pack some food.

Thanks!

Hedge your bets... Pack your salmon sandwiches and bin ‘em for the Ramen if there’s an open place.... 

Really though...  a valid question: Airports (and countries) in the east have handled Covid so differently... (no argument about which is ‘more’ better’er - there is still so much unknown)...   

But for sure... 

Even in two months ago Airports in Thailand were relative Ghost towns... 

• Like 1

Japan is right now at this time undergoing a massive surge in COVID with both cases and deaths at peaks matching or higher than anything that came before now.

It's unclear if it's peaked yet, it may be at the peak right now but it's hard to tell from charts....

It's a massive BA.5 wave, it shows up on the normal stats sites and is mentioned in the world news, here's a little link that mentions the current 7th wave in Japan :

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/08/16/national/covid-deaths/

So they may have relaxed things a little but be prepared for the unexpected as it is a rapidly developing situation over there and it's happening right now.

Lets hope this is not an indication of things to come elsewhere as it's not looking so great over there....

Edited by ukrules

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

As best as I can tell, some restaurants are open, but with modified opening hours and menus. Knowing Japan, the links on this page will probably be giving you accurate information: https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/shops

Thanks, it looks like many things are open. I walked up and down an entire terminal when I was there and saw nothing open but my connection was so tight I didn't have time to walk the entire airport. I'll probably bring some food just in case. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hedge your bets... Pack your salmon sandwiches and bin ‘em for the Ramen if there’s an open place.... 

Really though...  a valid question: Airports (and countries) in the east have handled Covid so differently... (no argument about which is ‘more’ better’er - there is still so much unknown)...   

But for sure... 

Even in two months ago Airports in Thailand were relative Ghost towns... 

Asia is taking this thing REALLY hard. Nary a person wearing a mask in Colorado right now. It's almost like a distant memory...

I was also just through Narita in August, and if your layover is in Terminal 2 (United, ANA), then the restaurant options are all open in the main Terminal 2, but opening hours are an issue. Lots of them close early evening. That leaves the food court, which has a few good restaurants (including the not bad Jai Thai restaurant), but there is a closing time there too, so not sure when your layover is. 

If you are traveling business class on United, ANA, or star alliance, the ANA lounge is open (great ramen noodle bar and food), but not on arrival, only on departure, so if you are departing to Thailand on star alliance top tier this is a great option. The United Club is still closed at T2 Narita.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, keemapoot said:

I was also just through Narita in August, and if your layover is in Terminal 2 (United, ANA), then the restaurant options are all open in the main Terminal 2, but opening hours are an issue. Lots of them close early evening. That leaves the food court, which has a few good restaurants (including the not bad Jai Thai restaurant), but there is a closing time there too, so not sure when your layover is. 

Yes I may have been there too late as my connection was at 5:00PM. United though but not sure which terminal I was in. Looks like my connection is at 3:30 PM so maybe I'll find all the stores are open. Thanks.