Thai Permanent Residency - Action required after passport renewal

If you have permanent residency, there is no renewal procedure with respect to the Immigration Department. PR has lifetime validity unless revoked.

I am not aware of any requirement for a PR holder to advise the Immigration Department of a new passport. I've always just waited until I needed a new non-quota immigrant visa (re-entry visa) and endorsement in my TM17 and submitted both my old and new passports when applying. Never had an issue.

Or are you referring to the renewal of an extension of stay granted under a non-immigrant visa?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I am not aware of any requirement for a PR holder to advise the Immigration Department of a new passport. I've always just waited until I needed a new non-quota immigrant visa (re-entry visa) and endorsement in my TM17 and submitted both my old and new passports when applying. Never had an issue.

This is a correct summary of the position.There is no need to inform Immigration of your new passport details.As you say, they will update records when the multiple re-entry/endorsement are renewed - no need to make a special trip.

Thanks for the help guys.

Apologies for any confusion. I need to go to my local police station at the end of next year to get the PR red book extended as they gave me 6 years from when I first went there.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but from the replies it looks like everything will get sorted when I next apply for a re-entry permit?

2 hours ago, Kayahammer said:

Apologies for any confusion. I need to go to my local police station at the end of next year to get the PR red book extended as they gave me 6 years from when I first went there.

The only passport number recorded in my red police book is the one that was valid when I first got the book back in the 1990s.

I have never made special trips to the police to provide new passport information and have not had any problems at my normal 5 year visits.

3 hours ago, Kayahammer said:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but from the replies it looks like everything will get sorted when I next apply for a re-entry permit?

Yes. Immigration will record your new passport details when you apply for a new re-entry visa and endorsement. No need for a special trip.

3 hours ago, Kayahammer said:

Thanks for the help guys.

Red book and blue/white book aren't connected. You need to have blue book from immigration before you can get red book. But while red book needs to be extended every 1/5 years, the blue one does not. If you change passport details, or address, immigration doesn't need to be informed, and in fact even you made a trip there, they'll tell you they don't care about that - information will be updated when you replace blue book.

Now the re-entry permit (actually a non-quota immigrant visa and endorsement) is not in any way related to your red book. So when you get that non quota immigrant visa for another year, that won't automatically extend your red book and vice versa.

So, you'll need to go to police station to extend your red book. AND you'll need to go to immigration to get your new 1 year non-quota immigrant visa. Each whenever it expires, or for the visa earlier, if you plan to make a trip that would get dangerously close to visa expiry or beyond it. The red book you can extend up to 3 months early, but should be done before it expires. The visa you can apply for whenever practical. If you don't plan to travel anywhere in next year, you don't need to get it.

7 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

If you have permanent residency, there is no renewal procedure with respect to the Immigration Department. PR has lifetime validity unless revoked.

Or are you referring to the renewal of an extension of stay granted under a non-immigrant visa?

Second that, correct. What you might have to do is to get a new re-entry permit into the new passport, if they do not transfer an old (yet still valid) one form your expired passport. 
Latter I do not know as I always switched passports without any valid endorsement/re-entry permit. 

12 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Second that, correct. What you might have to do is to get a new re-entry permit into the new passport, if they do not transfer an old (yet still valid) one form your expired passport. 
Latter I do not know as I always switched passports without any valid endorsement/re-entry permit. 

I have entered Thailand with a new passport obtained abroad and shown the cancelled passport with the still-valid non-quota immigrant visa without problem.

Perhaps this would also work for exiting the country, but I don't know. 

On 9/9/2022 at 6:11 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I have entered Thailand with a new passport obtained abroad and shown the cancelled passport with the still-valid non-quota immigrant visa without problem.

Perhaps this would also work for exiting the country, but I don't know. 

This leads me to recheck with the immigration, if a valid non-quota visa can be transferred; something I was always uncertain about - thanks ! 

As a side PR issue I have soon to get a re-entry/endorsement for the first time in three years.I used to be able to complete - with a little "speed up" contribution - the whole process in an hour and a half.If someone has gone through this recently is this still a realistic time frame?

• 4 months later...