Cleaning Registry In New Sony Laptop

LPCustom69

I am a computer user, not a computer expert.

I just bought a brand new Sony Vaio laptop to bring back from vacation. The OS is Vista Home Premium, and I have upgraded to 2048MB memory from 1024. After I paid for the computer, the helpful salesman recommended the stores "geek squad" clean up the registry for me for $150. He said that all the trial software etc would greatly affect the computers performance, and needed to be removed from the registry versus deleting the icons. I can understand that, but am unsure how to proceed. Are there any good tutorials or walk throughs? Should I have it done here by someone, or wait and have it done in Thailand. My own opinion is that all BS should be removed by the store upon purchase. Since that isn't happening, I would appreciate the experts opinion on how to proceed. Thank you.

a registry cleaner for 150usd?thats too much.theres a lot of good but free registry cleaner software out there.try ccleaner.its a temp files,history and reg cleaner in one.download it at www.ccleaner.com its free.

I just bought a brand new Sony Vaio laptop to bring back from vacation. The OS is Vista Home Premium, and I have upgraded to 2048MB memory from 1024. After I paid for the computer, the helpful salesman recommended the stores "geek squad" clean up the registry for me for $150. He said that all the trial software etc would greatly affect the computers performance, and needed to be removed from the registry versus deleting the icons. I can understand that, but am unsure how to proceed. Are there any good tutorials or walk throughs? Should I have it done here by someone, or wait and have it done in Thailand. My own opinion is that all BS should be removed by the store upon purchase. Since that isn't happening, I would appreciate the experts opinion on how to proceed. Thank you.

The tea leaves.

A good one for Vista is Advanced WindowsCare Personal. It's free.

Download it and run it.

Where it says 'Startup Manage', you'll find a whole lot of programs that start up when windows startsup.

It will recommend the ones to un-tick. Un-tick the ones you don't need(don't worry if you make a mistake, as you can run it again and tick back).

re-boot.

It'll be a lot faster.

a registry cleaner for 150usd?thats too much.theres a lot of good but free registry cleaner software out there.try ccleaner.its a temp files,history and reg cleaner in one.download it at www.ccleaner.com its free.

It seemed a bit steep to me as it was a brand new laptop, and had nothing added. I don't mind paying a reasonable price, but not willing to bend over. Thanks for the site.

:o

Thank you for the site!

The tea leaves.

A good one for Vista is Advanced WindowsCare Personal. It's free.

Download it and run it.

Where it says 'Startup Manage', you'll find a whole lot of programs that start up when windows startsup.

It will recommend the ones to un-tick. Un-tick the ones you don't need(don't worry if you make a mistake, as you can run it again and tick back).

re-boot.

It'll be a lot faster.

I'd recommend Advanced Windows Care by Iobit Software. It's free for home users and consists of a good registry cleaner, a start-up manager, a system optimiser, spyware scanner, and it's dead simple to use.

http://www.iobit.com/

Works on 2000/XP/Vista

Thank you cdnvic. Looks like the one recommended by Lucifer. I'll check the site out.

well.. First uninstall (via control panel) all the sh*t installed by sony or other programs/tools you don't really need, then run ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com (free too) to get rid of some inconsistencies left by these uninstalled programs... and you are set mostly...

BTW just in case ccleaner can see, and help you uninstall programs that for some reason are hidden from the uninstall of the control panel :D (and it's Vista friendly too).

For the rest Vista comes up with a pretty good firewall out of the box, and a fine antispyware built in, you may need an antivirus though (as you are not tech savy there are a bunch of them out there "free" and vista ready) stay away from crapload symantec and the like :o

for added security if you don't trust much IE7 (though it's really nice and fast under vista) you can use Firefox 2.x just in case.

Good luck, and never forget that the enemy is the interface chair - keyboard :D

Thank you. I'm going to be using trend micro vs symantec antivirus.

:D

well.. First uninstall (via control panel) all the sh*t installed by sony or other programs/tools you don't really need, then run ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com (free too) to get rid of some inconsistencies left by these uninstalled programs... and you are set mostly...

BTW just in case ccleaner can see, and help you uninstall programs that for some reason are hidden from the uninstall of the control panel :D (and it's Vista friendly too).

For the rest Vista comes up with a pretty good firewall out of the box, and a fine antispyware built in, you may need an antivirus though (as you are not tech savy there are a bunch of them out there "free" and vista ready) stay away from crapload symantec and the like :o

for added security if you don't trust much IE7 (though it's really nice and fast under vista) you can use Firefox 2.x just in case.

Good luck, and never forget that the enemy is the interface chair - keyboard :D