Quicker Inernet Speeds Incountry

Whatever

I recently stayed with my wife's family for a month, I brought a pc and, although it took some time, I got myself linked up to the intenet. "Yes !", I thought "i've done it" - only to find that the speed was running at 16kb/s - normal dial up in the UK is 56k and I am now used to 8Meg broadband. Man it was so slow I had to play freecell everything I clicked on a link. 16kb/s!! My phone is quicker than that what is going on? Admittadly they do live in the middle of nowhere but they have a land line. They are an hour away from Ubon Rathathani. Near Yasolthon.

So what do I do about getting a faster conection?

I heard that HBO was setting up broadband all over Thailand is this true? I heard they were doing it didtrict by district. When will the whole of Thailand be covered? (Coz they had an HBO dish).

I also saw a thread about ASDL or something like that. Can anyone shed any light on the subject for me.

Cheers

Guess your only option will be satellite (iPSTAR).

Living in the middle of nowhere will most probably mean that ADSL is out of the question, since you have to live within a few kilometers of the phone exchange for it to work. Not having proper dial up speeds will already be an indicator the existing line is pretty bad quality anyway.

iPSTAR, offered both by TOT and Csloxinfo uses a satellite dish for internet access. Quite expensive with the cheapest TOT homepackage (256/128) at a bit over 1500 Baht/month.

And these homepackages seldom give you good speed, reckon anywhere between 30 and 200 kbps depending on time of the day...