One Year Non-immigrant O Visa Expiration Date

I have a 1 year, “Non-Immigrant O”, multiple entry visa for Thailand. The visa sticker in my passport reads,

Date of Issue: 3 Jul 2006 and Enter Before 2 Jul 2007.

I live in Chiang Mai and plan to make a one day border run on, 2 Jul 2007, by crossing the bridge at Mai Sae into Myanmar.

My question is, can I re-enter Thailand and get my final 90 day entry stamp on the 2nd of July 2007 when it clearly reads on the visa sticker in my passport, Enter Before 2 Jul 2007?

It’s important that I perform this visa run on July 2nd because the day my new 90 day entry stamp expires, I’ll be 50 years old and eligible for a retirement visa. I already have the money requirements in a Thai bank for the past two years and all necessary documents.

I did visit the local Chiang Mai Immigration center and they told me no problem to re-enter on July 2nd, but I’m afraid the Immigration office in Mai Sae may have a different interpretation of the law and say, sorry it clearly states in your passport, Enter Before 2 Jul 2007.

Does anyone have experience on being issued a final 90 day stamp if you re-enter Thailand on the day your Non-Immigrant Visa expires, or must it be a day before the, Enter Before Date, printed on my Non-Immigrant O visa?

I would not try it and see no reason to try it. If you apply for retirement extension of stay you will not do so until 60-70 days after your return and you will be over age 50 at that time.

I really don't want Mai Sae Immigration to issue me a 30 day tourist visa because I entered Thailand on the Enter Before date in my visa. I will not be 50 years old before September 28th. I want to be issued a final 90 day entry stamp but am un-clear about the expiration date on my Non-Immigrate O. Getting a tourist visa and having to make 3 more visa runs is not something I like to do. I'd rather be clear on the law and know for a fact I can get a final 90 day stamp by following the law.

Edited by howard251

You had 50 years old and July 2 in the same paragraph so misunderstood. I would still not take the chance - I have been told by immigration officers they would not stamp me in if I had waited until that expiration date.

Why not take a short trip to Luang Prabang or Vientiane to kill a couple of days and be safe?

If worse comes to worse you can still obtain retirement extension of stay with a 30 day entry and change to non immigrant at Immigration once you are age 50 and meet the retirement qualifications. You would have to pay 2,000 baht for the visa using form TM.87

Lopburi3: I think what Howard251 is asking, is there anyway he can safely get to his 50th birthday on only one visa run. His scenario is that his current non-imm-O requires re-entry by July 2nd, thus entering on that date for 90 days puts his 90th day on the day of his 50th birthday.

His concern, which you share, is that an immigration officer might arbitrarily not issue his extension on the last day of his 90 day entry stamp, which was a long time after his non-imm-O had expired.

Sure, he can make another border run to re-enter on a tourist visa and then convert that into a non-imm-O and then get an extension of that visa. He is trying to avoid that but I don't see how he can avoid the risk by doing something now.

Are you suggesting that he go to Luang Prabang or Vientiene and get another non-imm-O visa?

If he delays in returning to Thailand after July 2nd his visa will have expired and he would have to get another one. Can he get a 90 day tourist visa in Luang Praband or Vientiene?

Spell out your idea clearly, but the message I get is he is at risk trying to get back into Thailand on the 2nd of July when his visa clearly states "before July 2nd"?

OOps. Been dealing with 30 day entry too long. The sit outside the country will not work with an expired visa.

But I would not take the chance of losing the 90 days by waiting until the last day and do not believe they will issue extension on birthday in any case (you have to be older than 50) so the next day is probably when he could apply (29 Sep as I understand his age). So that would mean a 7 day extension of stay and then the one year (if immigration will accept that) or a border run for 30 day stamp and return to immigration to obtain the visa/extension of stay. I would ask immigration if they can provide you the extra 7 days (for an extra 1,900 baht).