New dual track train line in Hua Hin to open this year – 2.5 hour journey time to Bangkok

webfact

image.jpeg

The dual track train line and new elevated Hua Hin station. Image: Mike's Tropical Tech

By Online Reporter

It will soon actually be feasible to travel between Hua Hin and Bangkok by train

The new dual track train line in Hua Hin will open later this year and will slash travel time to Bangkok, the government has announced.

Once opened, the train line will drastically cut journey times between Hua Hin and Bangkok from five hours to around two and a half hours, Anucha Burapachaisri, the government spokesman and deputy secretary-general to the prime minister said on Monday (Sept 20).

Travel times will be reduced as the dual tracks will mean that trains will no longer need to stop for one another during the journey.

Eventually, a total of seven dual track train lines spanning some 985km will be in operation throughout the country.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/local-news/new-dual-track-train-line-in-hua-hin-to-open-this-year-2-5-hour-journey-time-to-bangkok/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2022-09-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Rent a scooter for 250 baht.

I usually drive to Hua Hin and rent a scooter because its easy to get around.

Hua Hin is pretty chill place to ride a scooter as well. 

Used to do the same when staying longer than an overnight pitstop visit.  Parking for a car, just doesn't exist there.  Taxis & unofficial tour guides took what ever parking was available in the main areas.

Scooter much less stressful ????

If not for the dog, I could easily see us using to go to Krung Thep more than a few times a year.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

2.5 hrs is decent enough...  for those without their own transport. 

But for those of us in Bangkok with our own transport....  ‘Home to Hotel’ is usually 2.5 hours. 

So, there is no need to taxi it from home to station, wait for train, 2.5 hrs to HH, then taxi it to the hotel... then taxi’ it around HH (or renting a car or scooter)... 

That said: If travelling into Bangkok from HH, the 2.5 hr journey could make things simpler.

Sit back on the train and enjoy the journey with a cold one ( I know, I know...  read the other ‘booze on train thread )....  Arrive in BKK, don’t worry about parking, driving etc....  public transport and Grab is easy enough (for the most part - if taxi’s don’t keep rejecting you !).

• Like 1

Reading the news-blip, so no official (2.5 hr) stated.  Just this silly statement:

"Once opened, the train line will drastically cut journey times between Hua Hin and Bangkok from five hours to around two and a half hours,"

When was the last time he took a train to HH, 5 hours ... really.  Last non-express train I took was about 4 hrs +/-.  

Depending where you live in Krung Thep, to/from station, so not seeing much of a time advantage.  Though if nice carriages, or simply don't have a car or desire to drive, then excellent of course.

If I was on international holiday, arriving at BKK, taking direct bus or limo/taxi would be much more convenient, than possibly overnighting or rushing to get to the train station, if schedule permitted.  Especially if not traveling alone.

But hey, looks good in the headline.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

2.5 hrs is decent enough...  for those without their own transport. 

But for those of us in Bangkok with our own transport....  ‘Home to Hotel’ is usually 2.5 hours. 

So, there is no need to taxi it from home to station, wait for train, 2.5 hrs to HH, then taxi it to the hotel... then taxi’ it around HH (or renting a car or scooter)... 

That said: If travelling into Bangkok from HH, the 2.5 hr journey could make things simpler.

Sit back on the train and enjoy the journey with a cold one ( I know, I know...  read the other ‘booze on train thread )....  Arrive in BKK, don’t worry about parking, driving etc....  public transport and Grab is easy enough (for the most part - if taxi’s don’t keep rejecting you !).

Great minds and alll ...

... you type faster than me ... ????

11 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

".......later this year"! Come on, we're pushing October already. Has he watched any of Mike's videos? No way will the dual line be ready north of HH by year's end.

I was going to say, the Thai govt is notoriously bad about predicting, and being vastly wrong, about the timing of completing major public works construction projects.

Three months left in the calendar year, and weather forecasts says tons of rain likely in the months ahead, including possible flooding in the BKK region.

All in all, I wouldn't be planning to make a dual track train booking for any BKK-HH trip before Christmas this year.

PS - it would have been nice if the article had actually mentioned the specific locations of the train stations for this line in both BKK and HH.... Are we supposed to guess where to catch this train, and where you'll be let off?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

".......later this year"! Come on, we're pushing October already. Has he watched any of Mike's videos? No way will the dual line be ready north of HH by year's end.

Hey thanks for watching my videos!  Nice that the OP gave me credit on the image of the station. 

I have to say, big progress is being made, seems a push in construction is underway.  Doesn't have to be perfect to get the train rolling on the new track and elevated section.  I'm editing the September 15 video now and will publish it in a few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe the tracks have been laid, all the way down to where I am, PKK municipality, Amphur Muang & beyond.  Actually for quite some time, as work had stopped long ago.  Just an inspection before using, and a trial run, would be needed.

BUT ... many U-turn bridges for vehicles are not completed.  The one just below PKK railway station is not, and would need to be, before high speed line ventured any further southward.  

That u-turn is at a major (local) intersection that could not be closed off, and I doubt if they would operate with just crossing gates & signal man.  Though realistically, the train wouldn't be building up any speed anyway, as the station is only 1.2 kms away.  So reality, would be feasible, but an accident would really be 'bad PR', and best avoided.

This sat photo, doesn't look that much different than today.

image.png.e1afbdf1a7369a933c64d96f3ef36693.png

Pretty much the same at next southward u-turn bridge @ Khlong Wan

image.png.cfb89c1c706e9dc33e463abcebb7d0b8.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2022 at 2:53 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

PS - it would have been nice if the article had actually mentioned the specific locations of the train stations for this line in both BKK and HH.... Are we supposed to guess where to catch this train, and where you'll be let off?

Wouldn't expect much to change station wise, from the express trains.

Something this, with a little bit of time knocked off, and more comfy carriage.

image.png.1c04fa0ab13962dfb1dbf1a4a0f896df.png