Foreigners infected with COVID-19 can visit Thailand

snoop1130

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe some people have claimed here before, I believe without any credible proof, that virus mutations always become less virulent with time.

From what I've read, there's little to no scientific evidence that that's always the case... may be sometimes... may not be other times.

IMHO, best to stay up-to-date with COVID vaccinations and follow basic, common sense health precautions against COVID -- unless someone wants to end up being a COVID guinea pig for whatever variant comes next.

Fact check: Yes, viruses can mutate to become more deadly

The claim: Viruses never mutate to become more lethal

" Experts say viral mutation is a complex calculus but there are several instances where viruses have evolved into more lethal strains."

"Our rating: False

Based on our research, we rate FALSE the claim that viruses never mutate to become more lethal. Ebola, the West Nile virus and the Spanish flu from the 1918 pandemic are all examples of viruses that became more lethal after mutating, experts say."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/07/14/fact-check-viruses-can-mutate-become-more-deadly/7839167002/

People like me said that was the general rule.  It wasn't 100% but if you were to bet on a mutation being less deadly, you were likely right. 

"Fact Check" sites are cringe because they always take the most extreme case and do chit like the one you posted. 

Glad they struck down the claim that viruses NEVER mutate to become more deadly when the initial claim was viruses generally mutate and become less deadly.  Looks like the people who made the claim viruses generally mutate and become less deadly but easier to spread were right.  Almost as if in nature, things try to survive for as long as possible instead of immediately killing their host which end up ending the virus life.

12 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

Looks like the people who made the claim viruses generally mutate and become less deadly but easier to spread were right. 

I don't see you posting any credible scientific or medical or news source to back up what you're claiming, including how often things go one way or the other.

And "generally" less severe meaning what....half of the time, 60%, 70%?  Meaning there still remains some likelihood of things going the other way, as my posted news source above documents with real-life past episodes involving Ebola and others.

From the above cited USA Today news report:

""The statement that 'in the history of virology, there has never, ever, been a viral mutation that resulted in a virus that was more lethal' appears to be quite untrue," Timothy Sheahan, virologist and assistant professor for the Gillings School of Global Public Health of the University of North Carolina, told USA TODAY."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 1