One police officer killed, two more seriously injured after vehicle crashes during heavy storms

snoop1130

695616-696x653.jpeg

A patrol police pickup truck from the Map Ta Phut Police Station rammed into high-mast lighting in Rayong during a heavy rain storm around midnight of Thursday, September 22nd, killing one officer and seriously injuring two more officers.

Map Ta Phut police officials and rescue volunteers arrived at the scene on Sukhumvit Road around 12:30 A.M. on Thursday after being notified of the road accident. Upon arrival, the patrol police car was found crashed into high-mass lighting in the middle of the road. Three injured police officers were stuck inside the vehicle.

The rescue teams then spent about an hour in the rain to cut through the vehicle with a rescue device and take the officials out. Unfortunately, one of the officials who was sitting in the passenger seat was pronounced dead while two who were seriously injured were immediately rushed to a local hospital.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/09/22/one-police-officer-killed-two-more-seriously-injured-after-their-patrol-vehicle-crashes-during-heavy-storms-in-rayong/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-09-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

First the deceased officer RIP.  And hopefully the others recover.

There is very heavy damage to that vehicle.  Drivers need to learn how to drive according to weather conditions,  among other things of course.  
Thank goodness there is no snow or ice here.  I could only imagine what would it would be like then

• Like 2

Read the article.

They were on alarm.

"According to local witnesses, the patrol car was driving with the siren blaring at high speed in the heavy downpour"

It is not easy to keep discipline and limit speed in such high adrenaline state 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Front tire pressure 60psi, rear 75:whistling:

You are so right . Recently I had a back tyre puncture . A Thai guy took the tyre for repair , for which I was very grateful . The next day I thought I had better check all of the tyres air pressures . Well , surprise surprise the rear repaired punctured tyre had 65 lb in it . 

When we get the very heavy storms , it is all but impossible to drive safely and even wiper speeds at double speeds do nothing . I pull over to somewhere safe and let the idiots who are doing 50 + kph overtake me . Even worse when driving at night in heavy rain when your headlights are not effective .

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I wonder what the emergency was that they didn't get to.

Me too.

And for driving under alarm there is a special training in other countries and requires a specific license. Not every firefighter is allowed to drive under alarm.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Even on well lit roads, it's hard to see in heavy rain, what with spray from other cars, and cop cars heavy illegal tint on windscreen, driving to fast for road conditions, rear tyres inflated for full load, not wearing seat belts. RIP cop but you all only have yourselves to blame. if it was not the driver that died he should be charged with manslaughter by reckless driving, but i'm sure a gift basket will solve that.

• Like 2

One problem with many Thai drivers--perhaps because of their drinking habits since Thailand is among the highest in the ASEAN region for alcohol consumption--is that they lack quick reflexes and are unable to make critical decisions in the split second where it is required.  In many perilous situations on the road, decisive action is necessary.  In the case of hydroplaning, there's actually little that one can do--once the loss of control takes place, it is too late for action.  The time to take action was before it occurred, i.e. slow down.  For myself, I don't trust my tires to maintain control above 80 kph on wet roads, and if the roads are flooded, not just wet, I would drop that even further.  The deeper the water, the lower the speed needs to be.  But it takes attentiveness to the details of the car, its handling characteristics, and to one's own condition for driving at that moment (e.g. awake & alert or tired & drowsy) to be safe when attempting to push the limits. 

I don't have a problem with qualified drivers pushing the limits, especially for emergency services.  But they better know their limits.  It is possible to drive fast and yet maintain a safe level of control.  Many, however, would be better off never trying to push the envelope.

I, personally, have been gifted with fast reflexes.  It has saved me from tragic accidents on the road many times.  But not everyone has this.  It has been my observation that most people here are very slow to take action while on the roads.  Just consider how long it takes them to proceed when the light turns green.  They're not slow because they were still checking both ways--at least, not from what I have observed.