Another thankfully boring Savannakhet report (Non-O Multiple Entry)

4 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

Why didn't you get off the bus at the Thai Consulate, instead of travelling past it to the bus station?  You could have saved yourself 50 Baht there.........not to mention the haggling process. Saving small amounts of money is obviously very important to you. 

Or walk, it's only 1Km from the bus station to the Consulate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sjbrownderby said:

Why didn't you get off the bus at the Thai Consulate, instead of travelling past it to the bus station?

Sadly, that is not possible. The international bus will not stop anywhere on the route to let you off. I have wondered whether offering the driver 20 baht to briefly stop opposite the consulate might do the trick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

Why didn't you get off the bus at the Thai Consulate, instead of travelling past it to the bus station?  You could have saved yourself 50 Baht there.........not to mention the haggling process. Saving small amounts of money is obviously very important to you. 

But you're a fat-cat, some of us aren't....????

12 hours ago, problemfarang said:

50.. how did you manage that?

Just spoke Thai (with a few Isaan words I could muster), smiled, and genuinely didn't care if we could reach an agreement or not. Plenty of other tuktuks out there. I think they make a decent profit on ฿50, it really is a short distance.

3 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

Why didn't you get off the bus at the Thai Consulate

Not an option.

3 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

Saving small amounts of money is obviously very important to you

If it was that important I'd simply walk, as I've seen a few people do. I haggle mostly to avoid that "I got screwed" feeling later, it stings. Also, I quite enjoy it at times.

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

I wonder if one could get an Evisa and bypass the paperwork on entry to Laos?

One could, but it's US$10 more. It does save you a passport page though.

Edited by araiwaja
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, kidneyw said:

Any financial records requested.

Also did they say anything about wife should be with you?

Yes be good to know.

Was it crowded.

It must have been very tough for both cities with the bridge closed for so long.

Even when it was open the expected surge in tourism, industry, and what you'd expect at a border crossing never really materialized as envisioned.

They make crossing the border a bigger hassle than it has to be.  Thats military rulers for you. 

On 9/23/2022 at 2:52 PM, kidneyw said:

Any financial records requested.

Also did they say anything about wife should be with you?

On 9/23/2022 at 8:48 PM, Deerculler said:

Did your wife need to be with you?

No financial records required or requested. I went by myself and no one at the consulate said anything at all about my wife needing to be there. 

On 9/23/2022 at 2:26 PM, araiwaja said:

Just spoke Thai (with a few Isaan words I could muster), smiled, and genuinely didn't care if we could reach an agreement or not. Plenty of other tuktuks out there. I think they make a decent profit on ฿50, it really is a short distance

Well i still couldnt manage any discount even with my fluent thai and esan.. but i think you were lucky because they really really need customers after covid. Im pretty sure they will ask 200 instead of 100 in a months time when all really get back to normal. Then again there will be no place for a bargain.. 

Well done and congrats about making it 50. ????

• Like 1

When I done this trip a few months ago there was an 'overtime' charge, the officers said it was because I was crossing on a Sunday, but when I returned during the week the 'overtime' fee still had to be paid, tricky bleeders.

I had an evisa but still had to stop at the visa window for the officers to process the visa, so it's not really worth getting an evisa unless you're unable to find crisp US dollar notes.

5 hours ago, sanook 1 said:

What about vaccination proof to enter laos and re enter thailand again? 

None requested on entry to Laos, but on re-entry to Thailand they had desks set up outside the immigration building to check for vaccination papers. They stamp the TM6 form once they verify the papers, like they used to do at the airport (what do they do now that there's no TM6 at the airport, btw?).

4 hours ago, MaiDong said:

When I done this trip a few months ago there was an 'overtime' charge

Laos always had an overtime fee at their border checkpoints, it's legit, but they sometimes fiddle with the price. They usually post the hours somewhere visible so that you know it's not a made up fee. They charge it on holidays, weekends, and after 4:30pm on normal days.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...