Does it make sense to check different car dealers?

plus7

Hi,

I was thinking about buying a new car and remember that 10 years ago when I came to a Mitsu dealer they offered lower price  than on vendor's website and options for free.

These days, Toyota dealers say, the car will be ready in two months and discount only 20k baht. So the price is equal to the price published on the vendor's website + 1 year insurance and that's it.

I checked only Pattaya and Siracha.

Is the situation in BKK different ?

• Like 1

I just ordered a new Toyota a few weeks ago. We checked out a few different dealers and the offers were somewhat different in terms of financing rates, discounts and freebies (but not hugely). 
What also helped me decide was to join a couple of facebook groups related to the car I was buying, where people post their experience and whether the dealership honored their promised delivery time.

• Like 1

In America the best time to buy a car is 1 to 3 days before the end of the month reason being is one if the dealership is just a few car models and they need to hit their bonus level from the manufacture they will really lower the price because the manufacturer gives very big bonuses And each car of that particular model and it could be thousands upon thousands of dollars the second reason to wait till near the end of the month is most very large dealerships finance threw banks their vehicles and they can sell it before the end of the month they will not have to pay interest on that loan  they call it flooring plan so the dealerships have a huge incentive to sell as many cars before the new month starts in Thailand I’m not sure how the dealerships work with the banks but I am sure the manufacturer gives them cash back if they sell certain models before the end of the month the manufacture put the money in the dealerships account to the parts department saying that TIT

You may get a few freebies and a small cash discount but that's it really. In my case I got a 7k colour discount for the car being white, and a few free extras+ insurance. Most dealers will also offer a small comission (3-5k bahts) for anyone who brings in a new customer who purchases a car. If you have a Thai friend who is in need of cash get him/her to take you to the dealer and make sure to ask for the comission.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, plus7 said:

Is the situation in BKK different ?

It certainly used to be.

Certainly when I bought BKK Mitsubishi dealers were much more inclined to "deal" then the local Pattaya dealer and all communication was initially done online in Thai - however I stress this was some years ago.

However Toyota always seemed to be more limited in terms of what they were prepared to offer

• Like 1

As an American living in Pattaya, I have purchased 4 Toyotas over the years. I used to visited several dealerships but they are all given an allowance by Toyota (40-50k) and can spread the money as they wish; insurance, accessories, discounts, etc. What is most important to me is the dealer's reputation for after-sale service, and they do differ considerably, so do your research. Another note, as a farang you will pay about 1% more than a Thai if you decide to finance. 

• Like 2

I have just bought a Mitsubishi Xpander having shopped round different dealers and makes. I landed up with a 20,000 THB discount, mats, wind deflectors front and rear dashcam and most importantly a proper spare tyre and just waiting now for the fixing bracket for underneath. Then there is the free labour on servicing for 5 years or 100,000kms. This was in Bang Saphan. 

Honda were giving a reasonable deal on the new BRV but no discount. Too much technology on that make especially with the camera mounted on the nearside wing mirror which could be very expensive if hit!! Toyota were doing no discount or freebies!! Done deal with the Xpander then.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, triplez said:

I just ordered a new Toyota a few weeks ago. We checked out a few different dealers and the offers were somewhat different in terms of financing rates, discounts and freebies (but not hugely). 
What also helped me decide was to join a couple of facebook groups related to the car I was buying, where people post their experience and whether the dealership honored their promised delivery time.

If Op is not in a hurry wait for Motor show in december as normally good deals as each brand tries to get number 1 slot for the most sales

I agree with you about joining the facebook groups as people always post what deal they have been offered and ask is this a good deal

the op should seperate what the brand is offering in terms of discount or extras and what the dealer is offering

Brand offers

Free Insurance for 1 year and 0% or low interest rates  free servicing for x number of years ( check does it include parts and labour as normally its just labour)

Dealer Offers 

Glass tinting, carpets, maybe glass coating

If Op is not in a hurry wait for motor show in December

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, luckyscruff said:

Your deal on the Expander is very good , I have been looking at this car also, Was this for the New Model with CVT Gearbox? or on the old model with the Automatic transmission ?

This is with the CVT transmission as it is the 2022 model.

7 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

In America the best time to buy a car is 1 to 3 days before the end of the month reason being is one if the dealership is just a few car models and they need to hit their bonus level from the manufacture they will really lower the price because the manufacturer gives very big bonuses And each car of that particular model and it could be thousands upon thousands of dollars the second reason to wait till near the end of the month is most very large dealerships finance threw banks their vehicles and they can sell it before the end of the month they will not have to pay interest on that loan  they call it flooring plan so the dealerships have a huge incentive to sell as many cars before the new month starts in Thailand I’m not sure how the dealerships work with the banks but I am sure the manufacturer gives them cash back if they sell certain models before the end of the month the manufacture put the money in the dealerships account to the parts department saying that TIT

Yes that is correct and also with Toyota , my brother was a Toyota salesman for about 40 years and he would sell new cars at cost price to get those sales figures up to reach the monthly sales target , he use to give me 13% off a new car as that was the profit margin

• Like 1

6 hours ago, luckyscruff said:

Was this for the New Model with CVT Gearbox? or on the old model with the Automatic transmission ?

If you have a choice go with Automatic  transmission (normal power steering oil) i've only ever known the torque converter to break, easy as changing a clutch , no elastic band effect, don't need the CVT  special transmission oil changed ever 30k. if it stuffs up very expensive to repair or replace.

15 hours ago, brianthainess said:

If you have a choice go with Automatic  transmission (normal power steering oil) i've only ever known the torque converter to break, easy as changing a clutch , no elastic band effect, don't need the CVT  special transmission oil changed ever 30k. if it stuffs up very expensive to repair or replace.

Have had the Honda Jazz with CVT transmission for 7 years and over 100,000kms without a hint of problems. Regularly serviced by Honda. 

Have now the CVT again with the new Xpander as that is all you can get now unless you live in the Philippines and across all makes it is becoming the norm for transmission now