gold and money

Deserted

Hi guys, just a quick question. I can't help but notice around Bangkok that gold and money are easily found in temples. I thought Buddhism was about abstinence and the removal of desire, so why is both money and gold of such importance in the temples I see in Bangkok. Do temples like to show their wealth? I would have thought your average temple would look more austere than the ones I see. 

6 hours ago, Deserted said:

I can't help but notice around Bangkok that gold and money are easily found in temples

This is the same as any religion

They convince the people/congregation that money is the root of all evil & they can pave their way

to heaven/nirvana by letting it go via donations/tambun etc to the church/Wat etc etc

• Like 2

If you've just been around BKK and judging by your description then it's likely most temples you will have visited will be oriented towards tourists.

Forest monasteries in regional areas couldn't be more different.

Having said that its common in Thai culture to value ostentatious displays of wealth and not realise the contradiction with the Buddhas teaching.

• 3 weeks later...

There is, of course, another Buddhist 'Sect', in Thailand, which addresses this problem of significant monetary donations to temple organizations, which seems against basic Buddhist principles. It's called Santi Asoke. The following article provides lots of details.

https://www.asoke.info/bunniyom/insight-santi_mobi2.html

"Going back to Buddha's fundamental teachings, Santi Asoke counters the mainstream materialism and consumerism and has set up an "utopian Buddhist society" in Nakhon Pathom where members live, work, and produce food on the basis of communal harmony.

Apart from its model Buddhist villages, Santi Asoke members - predominantly professionals, middle class, to lower middle class - have also set up a model grocery store and herbal product business based on their intention to help consumers rather than make profits.

The Santi Asoke projects have drawn much attention and admiration from academics for their projection of an alternative lifestyle according to Buddhist beliefs vis-a-vis Western-style consumerism, so much so that they are willing to dismiss his antagonistic approach."

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 9/24/2022 at 3:04 AM, Deserted said:

Hi guys, just a quick question. I can't help but notice around Bangkok that gold and money are easily found in temples. I thought Buddhism was about abstinence and the removal of desire, so why is both money and gold of such importance in the temples I see in Bangkok. Do temples like to show their wealth? I would have thought your average temple would look more austere than the ones I see. 

Well, at one end you have "what the Buddha actually taught", and at the other end "what humans believe it to be".

These are not synonymous (antonymous).

1. Belief is not always fact.

2. Humans are affected by Greed, Aversion, & Delusion.

Edited by rockyysdt

On 8/19/2023 at 12:58 AM, Deserted said:

So it's Thai greed then?

Not just greed.

Many are deluded, & others suffer from aversion.

One Example:

Many who make offerings, will almost always offer to a Monk, over one who is destitute. 

The belief is that if you make merit to a Monk, it has greater kharmic value.

Greed, as they are seeking to maximise the value of kharma.

Aversion, as they fear the results of poor kharma

Delusion, as their actions are based on custom rather than reality.

One thing that needs to be said.

Suffering from Greed, Aversion, & Delusion is universal.

Having said that, afflictions can be shaped by culture and tradition.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2022 at 12:04 AM, Deserted said:

It ain't Buddhism, not really......it's become just a local cultural way of life.....(hence the impression showy wealth at temples seems to have on Thai 'worsippers', especially those temples supported by rich Chinese/Thai local 'devotees'...but if sometimes some real charity or benefit is going around, FWIW, then hey, that's cool. (Maybe.)

But the whole 'institution' here has as many bad apples just in it for the hustle, as it does those of purer virtue & intention (& credit to the latter!), which means that there are still some temples run on more sound buddhist principles (as it pertains to honesty, virtuous commitment to its precepts, etc) around.  

Ps...meant to add it's not just 'around Bangkok'. It's spread everywhere.

Ironically, Thailand is no longer (if it ever was) an ideal place for the foreign seeker of experience & understanding of authentic buddhist principles. 

(Ok, full disclosure.......I admit I'm a bit biased.....my Thai stepson donated 10k to a local temple at xmas. 2 months later that temple was national headline news for corrupt, outright abuse of donations for personal gain ( many, many millions of baht!)......gold jewelry & bullion buried underground! I kid you not.)