Renewal of driving licenses expired over a year (stuck abroad due to Covid)

Farangfoodie

My car and motorbike licenses expired in August of 2021 and I couldn't renew because I was in the US.  I understand that if expired over a year they can't simply be renewed.  Perhaps someone has had experience with this situation.  Is there any leeway for folks not around due to Covid?

I know that it is fairly simple to present my US license and get a comparable Thai license.  Problem for me is that my US license is car only, no motorcycle endorsement-because I don't ride in the US.  I really dread spending multiple days at the Transport office as I've heard people often need to make several visits.  I also dread taking the computer based exam with questions in bad English and horrible diagrams.  Also I've been told that the new one-year license isn't valid to rent a car, which would be inconvenient.

Any information/experiences would be appreciated.

• Thanks 1

OP here.

I went thru the process several years ago.  Got Residence cert, medical.  Presented those with US license.  Got issued car license.  Then had to return, take computer test.  Flunked once, then passed (I have taken written DL tests in the past, alway got 100%).  Very confusing with poor Eng and goofy diagrams. Then took road test on track.

So I've been thru the process before.  This time I may have trouble getting Residence Cert when I arrive as I will only have visa-free entry until I manage conversion to Non-Immigrant ) to start process of extension of stay after being away during Covid.

6 hours ago, Farangfoodie said:

OP here.

I went thru the process several years ago.  Got Residence cert, medical.  Presented those with US license.  Got issued car license.  Then had to return, take computer test.  Flunked once, then passed (I have taken written DL tests in the past, alway got 100%).  Very confusing with poor Eng and goofy diagrams. Then took road test on track.

So I've been thru the process before.  This time I may have trouble getting Residence Cert when I arrive as I will only have visa-free entry until I manage conversion to Non-Immigrant ) to start process of extension of stay after being away during Covid.

I don’t know, but I don’t think you’ll have any problems getting a certificate of residence with an on arrival stamp, assuming the tm30 is submitted properly. Before you leave, be sure to get an international driving permit. If you don’t want to to deal with the process at dlt, then I’d suggest going to a place like cm driving school in sarapee. You’ll have take the full course for the motorcycle, but only a half hour/45 minute video for the car. Though it is possible that the school may give you a pass with your expired motorcycle license, given that the renewal validity has only been a couple months. The test on the computer, you do it multiple times in one sitting until you pass. They make sure you have everything in order before you go to the dlt in hangdong. Then at the dlt you give them all the paperwork that was put in order  from the driving school then do the red green yellow light thing, then you’re done. This might be the easiest process without any worries. OR - just do it all at the dlt.

Edited by novacova
Because it’s raining?

I’ve done it recently.

sadly yes….I had to go multiple times to the transport department….and yes I had to do the online test…

I failed 4 times.

Message me if you want my advice…

Expired over one year….not possible to just get a Thai car licence by presenting the overseas licence…

***oops!  Noticed this is in the CM forum.  The following is for Bangkok/Mochit***

If you still have valid US license, you can get new Thai licenses based on that, assuming you have motorcycle endorsement.  You don't, but you can still renew your Thai licenses.  You'll have to take the written test, but no driving test required.

You'll need a certificate of residence (from CW immigration AFTER your first 90-day report), OR a notarized affidavit from the US embassy ($50).

There's also an online training module you need to complete, and download a QR scan code to print off.

Take your old Thai licenses, residence affidavit, QR scan code, and health check to apply.  They'll have you go upstairs for the vision/reaction tests, and will give you an appointment to return for the computerized test.  You'll take the same test twice if getting two licenses.  This is one day only, but it's one long day.  3-4 hours of videos starting at 8:30, an hour for lunch, then testing in the afternoon.

Edited by NoDisplayName