Maths coaching....for 10 year old

lolex

Hi again,

My daughter needs some maths coaching on Saturdays.... She lives in Map ta Phut. She was doing ok until COVID came along....but she fell behind and hasn't recovered. She's at REPS School Ban Chang.

I see there are several Kumon Schools that do coaching type programs for maths.

* Does anyone have any experience with them?

*Can you advise a good one?....There seem to be several Kumons in the area...can you recommend one...or have any feedback?

*Can anyone advise contacts for a good private maths coach? That might be a better solution....English or Thai language ok.

I will be more than grateful for any help.

Thanks a lot..... Mark

I can highly recommend KUMON. At least the one where our daughter studies. In fact, there are a lot of children there from the expensive International schools doing classes as well. Our local one offers Mathematics, Thai and English lessons. We are not in your area though.

But back to Maths.

Our one started around age six, twice a week doing very basic single digit addition. Once mastered,  on to subtraction, then multiplication, then division

Now just turned ten she is subtracting fractions, having already mastered adding them. She hasn't even started fractions in school yet.

During Covid when I could watch her doing online lessons, the teacher was giving her 4-digit x 4-digit multiplication. When she asked, "Teacher. Why am I the only one doing these?" She was told," Because you are the only one in the class that can do them."

She must be several months ahead of her school classmates. She grumbles sometimes about the work. A bit of homework to begin with, but I instilled in her "Kumon time". Just crack on and get it done. 

Now she rarely gets Kumon homework.

Another story: 

I was speaking to someone I know. He told me his daughter, now at university, had been through  the entire Kumon maths program from start to finish. He said she was way, way ahead of any of her co-students.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, phetphet said:

I can highly recommend KUMON. At least the one where our daughter studies. In fact, there are a lot of children there from the expensive International schools doing classes as well. Our local one offers Mathematics, Thai and English lessons. We are not in your area though.

But back to Maths.

Our one started around age six, twice a week doing very basic single digit addition. Once mastered,  on to subtraction, then multiplication, then division

Now just turned ten she is subtracting fractions, having already mastered adding them. She hasn't even started fractions in school yet.

During Covid when I could watch her doing online lessons, the teacher was giving her 4-digit x 4-digit multiplication. When she asked, "Teacher. Why am I the only one doing these?" She was told," Because you are the only one in the class that can do them."

She must be several months ahead of her school classmates. She grumbles sometimes about the work. A bit of homework to begin with, but I instilled in her "Kumon time". Just crack on and get it done. 

Another story: 

I was speaking to someone I know. He told me his daughter, now at university, had been through  the entire Kumon maths program from start to finish. He said she was way, way ahead of any of her co-students. Now they would like to move to the US because they have always been inspired by the American dream. It started when their daughter was assigned to write an essay and found this source https://sunnypapers.com/paper-samples/american-dream/ where she read some inspiring papers on the subject. I am also currently thinking about moving and looking into the legal aspects.

I agree. We recently started an online Kumon math program and so far we love it. There is a lot of homework, but we try to do it. Most importantly, our daughter is interested and wants to study further, because the previous experience with a private teacher was bad.

Edited by camilla99

21 hours ago, phetphet said:

Damn, the school is not teaching according to national standards, I don't think.

My kid is the same age, in a Thai school, and they started fractions last year in P4.

3 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Damn, the school is not teaching according to national standards, I don't think.

My kid is the same age, in a Thai school, and they started fractions last year in P4.

I should have added. She is down a year because we moved her from a Thai school to a foreign language international school.

She didn't speak the language at all so they started her in the year below. Now she is coming along nicely speaking three languages and getting good test results.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2022 at 10:38 AM, phetphet said:

But back to Maths.

Another story: 

I was speaking to someone I know. He told me his daughter, now at university, had been through  the entire Kumon maths program from start to finish. He said she was way, way ahead of any of her co-students.

Thanks for that. We had a private tutor teaching my 10yo son math, but now not available.

Will take a look at the Kumon system. ????

9 hours ago, GlennSN20U5 said:

Which school may I know? I didn't know they do this. What is her main language?

It's the Koh Samui branch of Kumon. I believe there is only one here on the island.

They can teach maths  in both English and Thai, but also offer lessons teaching English language and Thai language.

She is Thai, but I would say her main language is English, as we speak it at home. But she is trilingual.