Jump to content

Duties on Art


tinot
 Share

Recommended Posts

Pinned topic ! Customds info and FREE calculator.

 

Just look at the topics at the top of this forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Pinned topic ! Customds info and FREE calculator.

 

Just look at the topics at the top of this forum.

Thanks. But pinned what where?

af ghe?

Your reply doesn't help me much. Can you please explain?

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

HERE ........

 

 

Thanks. Ive used a lot of these sites already. A lot of them look very unsafe and dodgy if Im honest. I have also read through pages of Thai customs info and found nothing in the way of a percentage like most countries have.

Where are these sites getting their info. from because it differs across the board?

Why is nothing ever straight forward when it comes to this stuff here?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Use simplyduty.com it's safe and (reasonably) accurate, but art can be an "interesting" subject for duty.

 

What are you hoping to import?? And from where?

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Use simplyduty.com it's safe and (reasonably) accurate, but art can be an "interesting" subject for duty.

 

What are you hoping to import?? And from where?

Art, obviously. From the UK.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, tinot said:

Art, obviously. From the UK.

 

The problem is, without a bit more detail selecting the correct customs code is impossible.

 

Duty could be anything (literally) from zero to >50% of CIF value plus 7% VAT on the total.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Crossy said:

 

The problem is, without a bit more detail selecting the correct customs code is impossible.

 

Duty could be anything (literally) from zero to >50% of CIF value plus 7% VAT on the total.

 

 

Sure. Its a print. Value £4k. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Simplyduty suggests 20% of CIF (Cost, Insurance, Freight) plus 7% VAT on the total.

 

Yes, you get to pay duty on the freight and insurance 😞 It's the same worldwide 😞 

 

If that's 4k GBP it might be better to get someone to bring it over, the chances of getting stuffed at the airport with a print is pretty much zero.

 

EDIT The description is everything, calling it a "printed poster" is only 10% duty. It might be best to consult an experienced art shipper.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you carrying it in, or having it shipped? Is it high value art, by recognized artists? Is it a quantity of art, or just a few paintings? 

 

If carried in, no issues at all. I have brought in tubes of painting before, worth alot in dollars. No issues. Declared it as personal effects. 

 

If shipped, and not recognized artists, make a very low declaration. Paintings are not expensive here, so declare no more than 5,000 baht per painting. Customs here are quite uninformed. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Are you carrying it in, or having it shipped? Is it high value art, by recognized artists? Is it a quantity of art, or just a few paintings? 

 

If carried in, no issues at all. I have brought in tubes of painting before, worth alot in dollars. No issues. Declared it as personal effects. 

 

If shipped, and not recognized artists, make a very low declaration. Paintings are not expensive here, so declare no more than 5,000 baht per painting. Customs here are quite uninformed. 

All above mate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, tinot said:

Sure. Its a print. Value £4k. Thanks.

Declare 5,000 baht. Done. They have no idea. But, beware of how you frame it here. Use a very good framer who will use only archival materials, and have it framed for a humid climate, which is very hard on fine art prints. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Simplyduty suggests 20% of CIF (Cost, Insurance, Freight) plus 7% VAT on the total.

 

Yes, you get to pay duty on the freight and insurance 😞 It's the same worldwide 😞 

 

If that's 4k GBP it might be better to get someone to bring it over, the chances of getting stuffed at the airport with a print is pretty much zero.

 

EDIT The description is everything, calling it a "printed poster" is only 10% duty. It might be best to consult an experienced art shipper.

 

 

Thanks. Worse than the UK!

Where do simplyduty get their info. from and is it accurate?

 

Edited by tinot
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Declare 5,000 baht. Done. They have no idea. But, beware of how you frame it here. Use a very good framer who will use only archival materials, and have it framed for a humid climate, which is very hard on fine art prints. 

I won't have a choice on that front unfortunately. 

 

I dont know any decent framers locally either. I went to a few places to ask about archival framing. I may as well have been a Martian asking for directions home.

 

Do you know any good places? 

 

In fact this is a big concern for me really and think that a lot of the collection will be sold off due to AC, humidity, sunshine, monsoons etc etc . A real shame!

Edited by tinot
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thailand is really bad for art supplies also.

 

Cant find anywhere online were you can buy decent stuff. Its a joke!

Edited by tinot
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone aware of any respectable urban/contemporary art auction houses in BKK/Thailand? 

All I could find was Sothebys with a district office but couldn't see any regular sales or results for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a specialist area, and the duty rates vary from 60 per cent (ad valorem) to exempt (ASEAN).

 

Very importantly, anything classified under HS code 97.01 requires an import and an export license from the Fine Arts Department.

 

HS code 97.01 is for: Paintings, drawings and pastels, executed entirely by hand, other than drawings of heading 49.06 and other than hand-painted or hand-decorated manufactured articles; collages, mosaics and similar decorative plaques.

 

Prints, lithographs and statuary only require an import/export license if the article is over 100 years old.

 

Be very aware that if you import an item and declare it for duty at one price, then shortly afterwards you auction the item and achieve a much higher price, then if your item is very high profile you run the risk of having to negotiate your previous tax payment upwards.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

What are you on about and where you getting this info. from?

Seems like more conflicting info. to me. Nothing worse than copy and paste merchants who dont even bother to read.

 Will just have to wait and see now I guess.

Always going to do well in the long term so its all irrelevant really.

Thanks to all who chipped in though.

Edited by tinot
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tinot said:

What are you on about and where you getting this info. from?

Seems like more conflicting info. to me. Nothing worse than copy and paste merchants who dont even bother to read.

 

The information I mentioned comes from the Thai customs integrated tariff database. This is the official database that lists every tariff for every product and is based on the Harmonised Sytem.

 

Here are a couple of screenshots. You can clearly see the ad valorem rate I mentioned and also that the Fine Arts Department is the Licensor for electronic permitting for this category:

 

Screenshot 2022-09-25 153105.jpg

 

 

Screenshot 2022-09-25 152951.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, tinot said:

I won't have a choice on that front unfortunately. 

 

I dont know any decent framers locally either. I went to a few places to ask about archival framing. I may as well have been a Martian asking for directions home.

 

Do you know any good places? 

 

In fact this is a big concern for me really and think that a lot of the collection will be sold off due to AC, humidity, sunshine, monsoons etc etc . A real shame!

Have you considered selling the collection in the UK, and buying art here locally? There is some good, original art to be found at Chatuchak. Nice work for around 20,000 baht per painting. The acrylic work is very durable, and I have not had any issues here, with the two dozen plus oils I have in two different homes here. 

 

Yes, I know a very good framer in Bangkok. They have done some stunning work for us, and I have attached a couple of images. This is not local work, but rather Cuban surrealist oils. If you PM me, I can show you some images of local work I have acquired here, that I think is very good.

 

I have attached their contact info. They do alot of work for MOCA, the top fine art museum in Thailand, up near Don Muang. If you have not been there, it is worth a visit. 

 

 

varaporn.jpg

20220227_142051.jpg

20220227_141924.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I delete my account and posts please? 

 

I got banned from posting for 48 hours for mentioning the fact that there are too many ads. Pathetic!

 

Terrible forum, overzealous moderation and too many ads!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...