Opposition parties lose majority support since June although Paetongtarn Shinawatra still leads

webfact

opposition-parties-lose-majority-support.jpg

A National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA) opinion poll published on Sunday, September 25th still shows the daughter of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra as the most popular choice for prime minister after the next General Election. Paetongtarn Shinawatra (centre) maintained the support of 21.6% of respondents down from 25.28% in June with opposition parties off by over 12% since then also. However, the key coalition parties including the Bhumjaithai Party did not seem to have gained from this shift with the party of Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul (inset left) commanding only 2.3% support.

by Joseph O' Connor

In the last week, there have been several disturbing references by senior political figures on the government side to the possibility of further extra-constitutional outcomes or a coup d’état in the country particularly linked to the return of the Thaksin family to power in Thailand or the use of street protests by members of the public in response to Constitutional Court decisions with a verdict due on the fate of suspended Prime Minister Prayut Chan ocha on September 30th and also a decision on the legal basis for conducting the country’s next General Election as the court, last week, unanimously took up a case challenging the electoral laws controversially passed by parliament in August.

The latest National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA) poll shows the opposition parties still on target to win the next General Election although, in the last three months, the combined vote of the leading parties has dropped substantially while support for the governing coalition parties has not improved with the Bhumjaithai Party of Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul significantly down to only 2.3% or less than a quarter of what the party polled in 2019. The polls still show the daughter of Thaksin Shinawatra, Paetongtarn Shinawatra as the public’s favourite choice for prime minister after the election which is due to be held between January 2023 and May 7th 2023 at the latest. 

The daughter of former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra remains the country’s first choice for prime minister after the next election which will take place on May 7th next or possibly up to four months earlier in January 2023 if the House of Representatives is dissolved later this year after the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in Bangkok.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/09/25/opposition-parties-lose-majority-support/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2022-09-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thumbs Up 1

How about an article about the qualifications of Paetongtarn Shinawatra, age 36.

What did she do in her life until now?

Was she already responsible for a big city or small city or at least a village?

What qualifies her to be PM of a country with over 70 million citizens?

And do those Shinawatras have super genes that all of them seem to qualify for the top job? Are all other Thais not as smart as the Shinawatras?

And did anybody consider that two former Shinawatra PMs are now wanted criminals. Is it a good idea to vote for another one from that family?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about an article about the qualifications of Paetongtarn Shinawatra, age 36.

What did she do in her life until now?

Was she already responsible for a big city or small city or at least a village?

What qualifies her to be PM of a country with over 70 million citizens?

And do those Shinawatras have super genes that all of them seem to qualify for the top job? Are all other Thais not as smart as the Shinawatras?

And did anybody consider that two former Shinawatra PMs are now wanted criminals. Is it a good idea to vote for another one from that family?

The only consideration is - how much do I get to vote for her, other than that nothing else counts...... 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

The only consideration is - how much do I get to vote for her, other than that nothing else counts...... 

Seems to be the case. My brother in law is running for the position of headman of his village. My wife, her sister, and their team is running around the village buying votes. She said that is the only way, and the traditional way. Likely some will vote for him, as he is a good man, and they know him. But, one of the other candidates seems to have more cash to spread around, so who knows?

9 hours ago, ozz1 said:

Surely she would be better than the dinasours they have now.  Unfortunately guns and tanks beat votes

Besides the usual under threat of the proverbial and expected coup, surely there are better "popular" choices than Thaksin puppetry among the so called opposition. 

There is, of course. Yet, you'd never know it by way of the over lorded and highly controlled establishment-based press who will continue to push the ingrained ideals that the proposed [in their eyes] opposition might be something special - yet, still subliminally associated with the traditional dinosaurs club. 

Manipulation and sleight-of-hand is the order of the day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Seems to be the case. My brother in law is running for the position of headman of his village. My wife, her sister, and their team is running around the village buying votes. She said that is the only way, and the traditional way. Likely some will vote for him, as he is a good man, and they know him. But, one of the other candidates seems to have more cash to spread around, so who knows?

Actually, it would behoove your good BIL to seek out a tambon councilship/arbiter [akin to officialdom mafia] rather than a Poo Yai situation.......where such status is purely romantic symbolism with less pull locally - the base salary and side benefits are much more reasonable, as well [wink wink nudge nudge????????]

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Actually, it would behoove your good BIL to seek out a tambon councilship/arbiter [akin to officialdom mafia] rather than a Poo Yai situation.......where such status is purely romantic symbolism with less pull locally - the base salary and side benefits are much more reasonable, as well [wink wink nudge nudge????????]

Likely a one step at a time approach. And believe it or not, I think he wants to be a force for good. The entire family is quite noble. Really good folks. The village would be very smart to elect him. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Likely a one step at a time approach. And believe it or not, I think he wants to be a force for good. The entire family is quite noble. Really good folks. The village would be very smart to elect him. 

Unfortunately being "good" doesn't count for much, the majority only consider what's in it for me right now - today, what happens tomorrow is another story. 

Edited by Artisi

One of my wife's nieces ran for Oborotor in a small village up north.  She lost by about 6 votes.  One of the vote counting officials came by the post election party (we had already bought the liquor, so we held a party even though she lost) and admitted that the winner had bought votes, though they couldn't prove it. 

A couple of years later she ran for Poo Yai Baan and won.  She refused to buy a vote in either election.  She said "the days of vote buying are over".  Perhaps she is overly optimistic, but I like to think that she may be right.

• Thanks 1