Foreign Currency Account in a mobile app?

Does any of the Thai banks provide foreign currency accounts with the ability to use a mobile app?

The banks I talked with told me that a mobile app is not available for foreign currency accounts. Withdrawals and transfers can be made only at the branch. Additionally, if you get a debit card for a foreign currency account, it can be used only inside Thailand.

Like most online banking, there is a website and there is an app, the website usually gives a few more features and functions. BKK bank the website you can transfer to/from foreign currency account, the app only displays balance. I presume other banks are similar, I know my bank in Australia is similar, more functionality via the website rather than the app.

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

Are these accounts only available to business customers?

I already have regular accounts opened when I had a work permit and wife but a USD account would be very handy.

No problem to open account at Bangkok Bank. Just understand the conditions. Bangkok Bank is the correspondence bank (hopefully this is the correct English word) of my bank in Europe. Transfers from Europe to here are free for me and extremely fast. There is no other bank involved. This can get costly. At Krungsri transfers were expensive for me. Had there such accounts before. 

6 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

At the Bangkok Bank I can transfer from my foreign currency account to my Baht account there online. I never checked if other options are available. 

Yes, I have a USD account and can move USD to my baht account using internet banking. Only during business hours 9-4:30 Monday to Friday. None on weekends. And I cannot transfer funds using the mobile banking app.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Are these accounts only available to business customers?

I already have regular accounts opened when I had a work permit and wife but a USD account would be very handy.

They may ask a few questions. but we got it done.

Its very handy, especially in situations where rate of exchange is volatile.

4 hours ago, XJPSX said:

Not to my knowledge. You can obviously deposit usd into your thb acct with the banks nominated exchange rate but there are no platforms available similar to hsbc etc.

The OP doesn't even mention USD.    Why do you?

When I had a foreign currency account, I didn't deal with the branch but rather had a number to call for the   bank's foreign currency department in Bangkok.    The lady I spoke with seemed to have some slight wiggle room in offering exch. rates.

22 minutes ago, mjakob007 said:

They may ask a few questions. but we got it done.

Its very handy, especially in situations where rate of exchange is volatile.

Just look that you keep the minimum balance. At Krungsri this balance was 500 USD even for Euro accounts. 500 Euro on the account wouldn't be enough at the moment because the USD is higher. If I remember correctly then they charge you 10 USD per month. Krungsri also has no books. You get a plastic card - has nothing to do with ATMs. 

Also look at fees for depositing and withdrawing the foreign currency in foreign currency cash. If you transfer to the Baht account you get the better TT rate and not the rate for notes. 

Also check when the account will get dormant. Whatever bank you use check the conditions. 

One last thing. Such accounts are not protected by the Government deposit insurance. 

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

Someone above said wise, useful because its possible to have multiple currency accounts. 

No one else seems interested, maybe I got the question wrong… ????????‍♂️
You’re correct though, an account holding your home currency and you can travel to a different country each day and spend in local currency in each country… to my mind does what the OP wants.

I have GBP account with UOB Bank. I can transfer GBP in THB or can transfer back home to UK or any country using Internet Log in. I do not use any application. If any other currency like USD comes they will buy conver and deposit in GBP. So one can open USD or Euro Account if required but not multi currency. No debit card.