Registering Or Recording A Thai Marriage In Jersey (uk)

Not sure if this really relates to the Visa section, but I thought I would contribute to the knowledge tree (or Search Engine!)........Mods feel free to relocate.

Got married last month in Thailand (at the Amphur).

The Brit Embassy says that the "Consular Section can arrange for your marriage to be recorded in the UK" (albeit "This is not a legal obligation, it is for statistical purposes and if you lose a copy of your certificate only")..........however I did not do this as I was led to understand it only related to the mainland (seperate laws and systems down here).

I have just been down to the Jersey Registrar (of Marriages), he tells me that their is both no requirement and no ability to record a foreign marriage in Jersey, as far as Jersey is concerned if you are legally married somewhere then you are also legally married in Jersey.

May save someone a bit of fannying around / another trip back to the Brit Embassy..............the only downside being not to lose yer original Marriage Certificate. (I also got a certified copy and translation into English done in Bangkok for future use / just in case).

Not sure if this really relates to the Visa section, but I thought I would contribute to the knowledge tree (or Search Engine!)........Mods feel free to relocate.

Got married last month in Thailand (at the Amphur).

The Brit Embassy says that the "Consular Section can arrange for your marriage to be recorded in the UK" (albeit "This is not a legal obligation, it is for statistical purposes and if you lose a copy of your certificate only")..........however I did not do this as I was led to understand it only related to the mainland (seperate laws and systems down here).

I have just been down to the Jersey Registrar (of Marriages), he tells me that their is both no requirement and no ability to record a foreign marriage in Jersey, as far as Jersey is concerned if you are legally married somewhere then you are also legally married in Jersey.

May save someone a bit of fannying around / another trip back to the Brit Embassy..............the only downside being not to lose yer original Marriage Certificate. (I also got a certified copy and translation into English done in Bangkok for future use / just in case).

You and your wife would have each received an original copy from the Amphur so you can afford to lose one.

Absolutely no need to register the marriage outside Thailand and no point. It is legal throughout the world.

If Superindent Registrar says he cannot record the marriage in Thailand then he can't.