Piles of trash wash ashore on beaches due to high winds and recent storms

snoop1130

130D8E3F-FC57-434E-8D49-9F1E65EACA5A-696x392.jpeg

Central Pattaya Beach was littered with a long trail of garbage that had been washed ashore due to high winds and waves that hit the city yesterday, September 29th.

The wind and waves were offshoots of the Noru storm which mostly directly missed Pattaya and hit the North instead, but did drive steady gusts of air, some quite strong.

The garbage consisted of plastic bags, liquor bottles, foam, and all kinds of plastic cups, according to The Pattaya News reporters. The odorous debris was swept onto the beach by strong winds and covered about 2 kilometers of the beach, disgusting beachgoers.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/09/30/piles-of-trash-wash-ashore-on-pattaya-beaches-due-to-high-winds-and-recent-storms/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-09-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Like to see the writing on the trash and se if it was all Thai ! World's most trash making and littering country in the world in my opinion.

As bad as it is now it was much worse 30 years ago.  Everywhere trash used to lay in the roads.  All of the highways shoulders were completely covered with garbage.  

Sometime in the 1980's I was at the Wat on Doi Suthep.  I walked around the back along the fence and there was a gate.  I was curious to where it led and went to look.  It was about a 10 meter chute and the entire backside of the mountain was covered in garbage.  I was amazed when I went back several years later and went to look at it again.  The chute was gone and I did not see any trash there anymore.  It must have taken quite the effort to clean it up.  Or perhaps a large fire...

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Emster23 said:

"The garbage consisted of plastic bags, liquor bottles, foam, and all kinds of plastic cups..." The ban on plastic bags in order to save the earth ended some time ago. When I go into convenience store & they offer plastic bag I remark about how glad I am that Thailand decided the environment has been saved so bags are okay once more.

Or like most "crackdowns" they finish after a short period. Attention deficit disorder on a national scale

Not only Thailand...... I see the use of plastic bags seems to have returned in many other countries. Covid, followed by the energy crisis, fear of war, inflation etc seems to have taken that worry out of the spotlight. Where I shop, in Big-CX, they still do not offer plastic bags, but many other places do now. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That trash that washes up on the beaches is only a small percentage of the trash that is dumped in the ocean by being disposed off in rivers .

I listened that chinese researchers invented a new , sustainable kind of plastic that dissolves itself after some time without doing a lot of damage to the ecosystem .

That is the way to resolve a looming emergency .

If it's dumping on Pattaya, it's a West wind. If it's dumping on Hua Hin, it's an East wind. Otherwise it's floating about until it sinks, rots, or gets eaten. The only viable solution starts at source!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, smedly said:

the actual reason the garbage is there is because it was dumped in the sea

From my Jomtien balcony, I often see a tiny tugboat towing three barges laden with trash & garbage across the bay towards Sattahip, then returning empty late in the day...all three barge loads dumped at sea.

I was watching the sun set at Dongtan Beach last night and noticed two farang/Thai couples carefully cleaning trash off the beach. 

Local chair vendors seem to keep their specific area raked and cleaned every night but I didn't see any organized clean-up.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The odorous debris was swept onto the beach by strong winds and covered about 2 kilometers of the beach, disgusting beachgoers.

What is more disgusting is the fact it was in the sea in the first place...

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not only Thailand...... I see the use of plastic bags seems to have returned in many other countries. Covid, followed by the energy crisis, fear of war, inflation etc seems to have taken that worry out of the spotlight. Where I shop, in Big-CX, they still do not offer plastic bags, but many other places do now. 

Which countries are you talking about this is where I live

plastic.jpg

A post from a forbidden source has been removed

16. The Bangkok Post and the Pattaya Mail do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Pattaya Mail publications will be deleted from the forum.