Buying a car from another province

Geoff Smith1

Hello I am interested in buying a car from a Thai person in Bangkok, car is registered in Bangkok. I live in Hua Hin. Does anyone have EXPERIENCE doing this. ?

Am i correct to think I can buy the car in Bangkok, then drive it home, provided it still has tax paid and insurance (with docs).

I will make sure to get a signed copy of the seller ID card, some form of contact, owner to sign the blue book, request to transfer from signed and signed power of attorney. Then take all these documents in the DLT in my province where the car will be inspect and the transfer process started. I of course will have a copy of my passport and visa page and a residency document specifically for car purchases from my local Immigration. I will get two sets of documents one with my name and another with a Thai friends name incase I have issues transferring to my name in a different province, if that is the case I will put it in Thai friends name, have them "move" the car to Hua Hin, then transfer to my name, but I don't think it should come to that.

I am interested in hearing from people who has recently done this. Educated, fact based, personally experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I sold an old car of mine to a friend who lives in a different province. When I sold it to him, he had to go to MY LOCAL OFFICE to get it transferred into his name. Seems that his local province office wouldn't do it. After some 6 months he changed the No: plates at his local office. N/B we are both from the UK.

Edited by fredob43

On 9/30/2022 at 8:10 PM, Geoff Smith1 said:

Hello I am interested in buying a car from a Thai person in Bangkok, car is registered in Bangkok. I live in Hua Hin. Does anyone have EXPERIENCE doing this. ?

Am i correct to think I can buy the car in Bangkok, then drive it home, provided it still has tax paid and insurance (with docs).

You would have to do the ‘exchange’... 

Then go to the DLT in Bangkok and register the car in your name.

Either the seller (previous owner) goes with you to the DLT (which is easier), or he signs over the car blue book and a couple of documents (*see below) and his ID, and you can go to the DLT yourself (risk of something missing). 

You will need your Passport (copies ID and visa), you will need Certificate of Address.

You’ll pay a nominal transfer fee / tax.

After you have transferred the car into your name (at the DLT) which should not take more than 30mins (depends on queues). You can then drive your new car to Hua Hin. 

Once in Hua Hin you can go about re-registering your car locally. 

Forms required if transferring without presence of owner: 

*Auto ownership transfer form

*Power of attorney for car transfer

*Car registration and ownership transfer 

(link to thread which contains the forms). 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1147974-power-of-attorney-to-sell-car/

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 12:47 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You would have to do the ‘exchange’... 

Then go to the DLT in Bangkok and register the car in your name.

Either the seller (previous owner) goes with you to the DLT (which is easier), or he signs over the car blue book and a couple of documents (*see below) and his ID, and you can go to the DLT yourself (risk of something missing). 

You will need your Passport (copies ID and visa), you will need Certificate of Address.

You’ll pay a nominal transfer fee / tax.

After you have transferred the car into your name (at the DLT) which should not take more than 30mins (depends on queues). You can then drive your new car to Hua Hin. 

Once in Hua Hin you can go about re-registering your car locally. 

That's wrong.

@OP: You got it right already, that's how it works.

The last time I did such a transfer was 2 years ago, but then it worked like this, I doubt that it has changed since then.