KTM Duke 390 - which tires and where to buy in Bangkok?

I have a Duke 390 since 4 years. I use is basically only within the city most of the time for short trips.

The current tires don't look good anymore and it's time for new tires.

But which tires and where should I buy them?

Currently my bike has the following tires

Michelin Pilot Street Radial
Front: 110/70 R 17 M/C 54H TL

Rear: 150/60 R 17 M/C 66H TL

These tires are recommended in the manual. Also in the manual are Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact.

Are both available in Thailand? Which are "better"?

I am getting old and I don't use that bike anywhere near to what it is capable of. No extreme corners, no racing.

I want a good grip in dry and wet conditions for daily riding.

Should I buy those or other tires directly from KTM?

Or should I go to a tire shop? Any specific tire shop?

I don't really care about a few hundred baht price difference. I want that whoever installs them knows what they are doing, and I don't want old tires.

What do you recommend? Where should I go, and which tires should I buy?

Edited by OneMoreFarang

I've had a good experience with 29 Tire in BKK. Good prices, friendly folks and proper mounting and balancing. Owner speaks english well and is a petrolhead. Hit them up and ask for a recommendation. As papa said, hard to find really bad tires these days from most manufacturers.

Edit: seems like posting links to Maps is broken. But I'm sure you will find them yourself.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I've had a good experience with 29 Tire in BKK. Good prices, friendly folks and proper mounting and balancing. Owner speaks english well and is a petrolhead. Hit them up and ask for a recommendation. As papa said, hard to find really bad tires these days from most manufacturers.

Edit: seems like posting links to Maps is broken. But I'm sure you will find them yourself.

29 tires the best in Thailand as far I know. Service and prices for fresh rubber. 

They constantly upgrade their tires, but anything from Pirrelli and Metzeler (owned by Pirrelli) Michelin etc, and if there is anything you wondering about specific tires check with rewzilla, they will most likely have an review on them you can trust. 

Michelin road 6

https://www.motorcycle.com/products/mo-tested-michelin-road-6-tire-review

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Thanks, I found them here http://www.29tire-motorcycletire.com/en/

and I just sent them a LINE message. Let's look how they react.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, I found them here http://www.29tire-motorcycletire.com/en/

and I just sent them a LINE message. Let's look how they react.

They (he) answer in few hours during working hours at FB messenger. And at their FB page they have quite often sales campaigns on decent tires. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I received a reply to my LINE message when they opened on Monday.

Clear information of which tires they had and didn't have and what they recommend.

I selected the recommended Bridgestone S21 and I paid 1000B in advance to make sure they don't sell it to anybody else. That was my idea, they didn't ask for down payment.

I was there today and they replaced my two tires within 30 minutes. It looked like professional work to me. They also showed me the package of my new tires so that I can see they were produced in 2022.

They even apologized that they didn't remove the glue from the old weights on the rims because according to them the KTM color does not play well with that removal fluid - fair enough.

Summary: All perfect. I will go there again.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Glad it worked out well. Let us know how you like those S21 after 100km or so. Plenty of chance to try them in the rain too these days heh.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I received a reply to my LINE message when they opened on Monday.

Clear information of which tires they had and didn't have and what they recommend.

I selected the recommended Bridgestone S21 and I paid 1000B in advance to make sure they don't sell it to anybody else. That was my idea, they didn't ask for down payment.

I was there today and they replaced my two tires within 30 minutes. It looked like professional work to me. They also showed me the package of my new tires so that I can see they were produced in 2022.

They even apologized that they didn't remove the glue from the old weights on the rims because according to them the KTM color does not play well with that removal fluid - fair enough.

Summary: All perfect. I will go there again.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Great tires but require som heat to be at their best performance, but still great for commuting. Cold tired can be a bit more slippery on wet, but I guess you are not an radical rider pushing your limits? ????

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

They also showed me the package of my new tires so that I can see they were produced in 2022.

Also date stamped on the tires themselves.

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Try hand sanitizer, 

or WD40.

/////

You should be set for a good long while.

Curious what the cost was.

////

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Actually, I also expected a higher price.

But I didn't buy "big bike" tires for a long time. And the last time the bike was bigger and faster.

I got pirrelli Diablo Rosso 3   120/70, 180/70 down to 9000 all included, so it is one of the better and easier places to go when need tire change who often have good prices on quality tires. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I got pirrelli Diablo Rosso 3   120/70, 180/70 down to 9000 all included, so it is one of the better and easier places to go when need tire change who often have good prices on quality tires. 

They offered me a set for my bike (size above): Pirelli rosso 3 = 5690 bath (incl installation)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

They offered me a set for my bike (size above): Pirelli rosso 3 = 5690 bath (incl installation)

Good price, but you got tires now who will last maybe double km and rosso is a bit overkill for those who do not go to track. Impossible to reach the working temperature they are made for on normal road and even in the twisties up North ????

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Good price, but you got tires now who will last maybe double km and rosso is a bit overkill for those who do not go to track. Impossible to reach the working temperature they are made for on normal road and even in the twisties up North ????

The shop recommended the Bridgestone. But to be sure I looked at videos on YouTube about the other options. And the YouTube reviews say exactly what you say: The Pirelli is more for people who race, at least from time to time, and the Bridgestone is more suitable for daily riding. I guess it was not designed with Sukhumvit traffic in mind, but it will do the job. ???? 

• Like 1

Rosso 3 are outdated, now they have the Rosso 4. I've had the Rosso 3 on my CBR500R and really liked them. You don't need to race to get them up to temp. Not with the blistering asphalt temps we have in Thailand ???? Spirited riding is enough but OneMoreFarang is mostly doing BKK and commute style so yea the S21 might be better indeed. Rosso (Super)Corsa on the other hand...

17 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Rosso 3 are outdated, now they have the Rosso 4. I've had the Rosso 3 on my CBR500R and really liked them. You don't need to race to get them up to temp. Not with the blistering asphalt temps we have in Thailand ???? Spirited riding is enough but OneMoreFarang is mostly doing BKK and commute style so yea the S21 might be better indeed. Rosso (Super)Corsa on the other hand...

Rosso 3 is not outdated for normal riders ???? Normal riders will not be able to know the difference to be earnest, and every time I got some new rubbers on, it feels like heaven comparing to the ones I just changed. 

And Rosso 3 is a good economic choice for most who like to push their limits on and off tracks. 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Normal riders will not be able to know the difference to be earnest, and every time I got some new rubbers on, it feels like heaven comparing to the ones I just changed. 

I am one of those normal riders.

I like my new tires and they are definitely better than my old worn tires. 

And I guess I would feel the same with probably every new tire. Is A better than B? Maybe. I will never use them to the limit to find out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Rosso 3 is not outdated for normal riders ???? Normal riders will not be able to know the difference to be earnest, and every time I got some new rubbers on, it feels like heaven comparing to the ones I just changed. 

And Rosso 3 is a good economic choice for most who like to push their limits on and off tracks. 

Oh so they are keeping the Rosso 3 in the range? Damn I thought it's just a successor - 4 replaces 3 and not an alternative. That's pretty unfortunate naming then.

I agree a new set of rubbers feels sooooo nice ????

21 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Oh so they are keeping the Rosso 3 in the range? Damn I thought it's just a successor - 4 replaces 3 and not an alternative. That's pretty unfortunate naming then.

I agree a new set of rubbers feels sooooo nice ????

Still in production.

Even Rosso 4 scores higher in almost everything except wear, and as said, we normal riders who also drop in to tracks once and awhile, really do not feel any difference except spending cost on tires. 

Anyway I really do not get more than 8000km out of my tires no matter what tires I buy, even my rider partners get the double. However I like the corners up north, so my tires do get put to its maximum of what I can perform with a standard 1 liter bike with standard suspension and also loaded with luggage. My last Rosso lasted 6500km only.

The Rosso 3’s will still be produced and available, at a reduced price

https://ridewithpeaks.com/pirelli-diablo-rosso-4-review/

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1