medicines through customs

neil2112xb

I need to take about 12 different medicines to Thailand with me due to a heart condition.

I read somewhere that they have to be in original packaging.  Really!  the boxes will take up so much space.

Any knowledge about this.  I have a letter from GP listing all my meds.

Thanks

If you have the letter from your GP and the medicine is in the original bottle or container (not a box) so it can be matched to the letter it's not an issue. If you take them out of any identifying container that shows your name and the prescription that would raise questions if stopped and checked. They seldom check medication unless you're bringing in a very excessive amount.  

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

If you have the letter from your GP and the medicine is in the original bottle or container (not a box) so it can be matched to the letter it's not an issue. If you take them out of any identifying container that shows your name and the prescription that would raise questions if stopped and checked. They seldom check medication unless you're bringing in a very excessive amount.  

i've taken them all out of the cardboard boxes they are still all in the blister packs with the med name printed.

do you think this is ok?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neil2112xb said:

i've taken them all out of the cardboard boxes they are still all in the blister packs with the med name printed.

do you think this is ok?

Without your name on the packs that could present some questions if they stopped you but I doubt they would unless it's a really excessive amount. 

I kept a single box of each intact, and for space brought the rest in without their boxes. Also brought copies of the UK prescription dockets for reference. Saved on space. Luckily wasn't pulled over, as realised afterwards I was bringing in over 6 months worth. My UK GP signed the prescriptions saying "We'll try quadrupling your dose and see how you go!"

10 hours ago, neil2112xb said:

do you think this is ok?

this is fine, since they can identify what the medicines are and you have separately a letter showing they were prescribed.  "Original packaging" does nto mean boxes, it just means the packaging from manufacturer that is labelled with name of drug. In other words not loose unidentified tablets in a plastic bag

In practice they don't care about proof of  prescription for drugs that are non-prescription in Thailand, which heart medications are.

Your only potential issue -- in unlikely event you are checked - would be over quantity as they now allow just 30 day supply. In practice they don't count out tablets but if at a glance it is clearly much more than a 30 day supply then they could object to the amount. This very rarely occurs, offhand I can recall just one such report over past few years. 

8 hours ago, Dan O said:

Without your name on the packs that could present some questions if they stopped you but I doubt they would unless it's a really excessive amount. 

He has a separate doctor letter stating these meds were prescribed to him.

• Like 1